Light-O-Rama Forums

Seizure Star

Jeff Messer

I think the use of the word "seizure" star is VERY offensive and degrading and I am offended by the context in which you are using it.  Perhaps if you were familar with the terrifying effects of a seizure you would choose not to use the word. However, I would not even wish that on my worst enemy.

Imagine yourself just lying in bed or watching TV. Suddenly, that familar yet horrifying sensation begins in your head and you very slowly being not only to lose complete control of motor functions but your hands or legs begin to jerk or move without control. About 4 seconds have passed and you are already praying for it to be over. You try to call for help, but you find that you cannot form the words. You know the words, but frustration mixes with fear as you cannot make your voice utter the words. Your heart is racing as you pray to at least blackout so you don't have to suffer through it. If you are lucky you do, but sometimes you don't. Now about 30 seconds have passed and if you have not been fortunate enough to lose conciousness you find your self gasping for both air and control of your body. You may even feel the warmth on your legs as your bladder opens and while you know that you have not control, you feel the shame and disgust. Now about a minute or two has passed and in the grip or terror you slowly begin to get control, but even after the event has passed it takes several minutes for your brain to re-connect with your mouth so you can form words. If you were lucky enough to blackout, you still have to deal with the scrapes or cuts that can occur. Or even worse, cleaning up the blood off the tile floor from where your head made contact. Of course you could only do this after the vomiting from the concussion ceases. Then you go on, hoping someday it will all end.

Maybe next time, use a better choice of words. I understand that you did not intend to offend anyone, but when you use the word in the comical sense that you did it is not taken lightly by those that have to deal with this.

I think the use of the word "seizure" star is VERY offensive and degrading and I am offended by the context in which you are using it.  Perhaps if you were familar with the terrifying effects of a seizure you would choose not to use the word. However, I would not even wish that on my worst enemy.

Maybe next time, use a better choice of words. I understand that you did not intend to offend anyone, but when you use the word in the comical sense that you did it is not taken lightly by those that have to deal with this.

There was no intent to offend anyone at all and I sorry if I did offend you. I just named it what it was already being called and I will change the name on my website. I would like to know what name to call it as it needs a name other than just a star.

Guess there has to be somebody to make a negaitive comment and dislike. Nmonkman, I deal with seizure's in the family everyday and saw it as a warning not to watch it if you may have a seizure. Just a prop with a name and several 1,000's have viewed and enjoyed. Have a great day Sir.

Jeff

• Like 2

Thanks Steve.. It was never meant to offend anyone and making negative comments is something I have tried to stay away from. Be proud of the prop and how it works. It was not until this year when I wrote Merry Christmas on a letter but put Merry Xmas that my wife said, " Why did you take Christ out of Christmas". Then she tore up the greeting card. Guess I never looked at it that way.

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff

Can we see a picture of the wiring on the back of the star. It looks just to neat and clean on the front. Nice job!!!!

Steve

In a world of such diversity you will always offend someone even if the intension are not to offend. But i think the siezure star isnt a good name because its all to do with the sequencing and not the actual star. The new name suits the star better as an item to sell.

Agree, The wire frame is a star no doubt. The pixel and nodes and the wild sequencing gave it the effect. I would never post anything to offend anyone but if I have a negative thought I just dont post it. This may be just me !! The first time I saw this wire frame was 2 years ago when I saw it in a show done by Geoff Harvey. He was kind enough to share his idea's and design with me.  I had the frames made and let them set in the shed.

Steve,

When I get home today I will take a picture of the back so you can see all the wiring .. LOL

thanks,

Jeff

There is always one in the bunch.....

One what? A person with a medical condition that is upset because the effects of that condition are often referred to in a comical sense or that it is somehow cool? There is nothing cool about it. The insinuation was that the star is so cool it would induce a seizure.The star itself is a masterpiece of sequencing and effort and I applaud those that put the effort into it. All I did was comment that the use or context of the name was offensive which it is to anyone with Epilepsy. Someone even insulted my intelligence and their own by stating they saw the name as a warning not to watch. Then someone else referred to me as stupid. I got a PM stating the intent was not meant to offend and I believe that person was sincere. Let me put it another way. If I had a black light star that I decided to post as an "n word" star, everyone would be all over my case and rightly so.

Actually, I think the original intent was it was flashing so much it might trigger a seizure. Not that it was so cool it would cause a seizure. I watched a young boy, playing a stand up video game in the mall years ago, fall to the floor having a seizure after the game ended and the screen at robbed red flashes.

So in effect, from the original naming of the star, I do not think there was any intent to offend.

Also, there is a huge difference in using the word seizure and the "N" word. The use of the second word is socially unacceptable, unless it is someone of African American heritage using it. Even then most politically sensitive people find it repulsive. I do not believe that I have heard of anyone finding the word seizure politically incorrect.

Just my two cents.

So bottom line from me, I do not think the name was meant to be offensive. I do understand your sensitivity. For those that posted calling names, it just shows the nature of some of the posters here. For those of us the have seen and like the sequencing of the star, let it rock on. I just wish I had four hundred bucks plus to get and light four of them.

• Like 1

Mike,

Thanks for the great comments above. At this time I have a nephew that was involved in a car wreck 19 years ago. He was having as many as 3 a day for the last 19 years. In the last couple months they have increase and at times he may have 5 in one day. This is where I put the show for the last 6 years and the family enjoys watching it plus the 1000's that stop. Video does not do this star justice and It will rock on..

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up the star from Doug today. Looks great!!! Gathering supplies now to get started on putting the pixels on the frame. I have all the rectangle modules required but am waiting on the square pixels. 

Andy, if you have the 10 burst version of the sequence in HLS I would like a copy. 

Dave

Picked up the star from Doug today. Looks great!!! Gathering supplies now to get started on putting the pixels on the frame. I have all the rectangle modules required but am waiting on the square pixels. 

Andy, if you have the 10 burst version of the sequence in HLS I would like a copy. 

Dave

Glad you liked it Dave. Nice seeing you today. Got all of the trees done.

Sorry I havnt had much free time lately between work and family. I will try to work on the 10 burst version this weekend.

;)

Sorry I havnt had much free time lately between work and family. I will try to work on the 10 burst version this weekend.

;)

No rush! I just was not sure if you got my PM. I sent you a PM with the channel changes I was going to make for the additional burst at the bottom. I also noticed tonight while putting the lights on the frame that the burst with channels 11,42,43,44 only had four modules where all the like were five, so I added the fifth module there since the frame supports it. This will add a channel 45 at the end and shift every channel after that plus one. 

I have about 67 modules attached to the frame, Hope I can finish the rest tomorrow, then I need to make all the inner connections and once I get the square modules attach those.

Glad you got the seizure star frame and make sure that the rectangles are RGB and the square nodes are RGB. If not you will end up doing and use two universes like I did. Post pictures when you get it all zipped tied up as I know you have your hands full right now... LOL

Jeff

Glad you got the seizure star frame and make sure that the rectangles are RGB and the square nodes are RGB. If not you will end up doing and use two universes like I did. Post pictures when you get it all zipped tied up as I know you have your hands full right now... LOL

Jeff

I don't have the square pixels yet from Todd. I will have to do a bit of testing with them when they come in, but an extra universe is not too big of a deal right now. I got all the rectangle nodes on the frame early this morning, Just need to connect the modules I cut apart and while I am at that prob going to inject some power at a few places so I don't have any surprises when I am all done. 

I will get some pictures posted later when I get the wiring done.