Light-O-Rama Forums

Playing half speed question

scubado

I'm starting on a new song and thought I'd try the Beat Wizzard for the first time. My question is; When playing the music at 1/2 speed, is the speed/quality of the sound related to the grid at initial setup of the song? For me, it seems to be the case. The song setup with the beat wizzard sounds like crap at 1/2 speed, even if I change to a .05 grid that I'm used to. I created a new sequence using same song using .05 grid and sound is what I expect for 1/2 speed. Has anybody run into this and have some suggestions?

Looks like I found a solution to my problem,  set the song up first using a .05 grid, then use the beat wizzard.  I knew I would find a solution on my own, but wanted to post it in case somebody new might have an issue and/or something LOR needs to look into.  Also open for discussion or feel like poking me for posting this thread :)  

I have NEVER known any members on this forum to poke fun at some one for an inadvernt post where they came up with the answer on their own...Never Ever... :blink:

Guest Don Gillespie

Looks like I found a solution to my problem,  set the song up first using a .05 grid, then use the beat wizzard.  I knew I would find a solution on my own, but wanted to post it in case somebody new might have an issue and/or something LOR needs to look into.  Also open for discussion or feel like poking me for posting this thread :)  

Are you and Jim related :P

I have NEVER known any members on this forum to poke fun at some one for an inadvernt post where they came up with the answer on their own...Never Ever... :blink:

then why have I often heard of the The Jim s Winder School of self solutions. :)

Nice job hi-jacking the poking :P

Guess I'll have to try it myself, but what does the grid look like if you use both .05 and the beat wizard? Does it make it hard to differentiate where the beat wizard picked out timings?

In the upper right corner you can pick which grid is showing. Switching grids doesn't effect the timings.

Switching grids doesn't effect the timings.

I'm not completely sure what you're trying to say here Jim, but that sentence, as written, is incorrect. 

Switching grids DOES indeed affect the timing marks.  (That's the whole reason for using different grids.)  But switching timing grids has no effect on any lighting commands that have already been sequenced.

Edited by George Simmons

I'm not completely sure what you're trying to say here Jim, but that sentence, as written,is incorrect.

Switching grids DOES indeed affect the timing marks. (That's the whole reason for using different grids.) But switching timing grids has no effect on any lighting commands that have already been sequenced.

Awesome, learned something new. I'll have to try laying down a .05 grid in addition to the beat wizard. I'm using the wizard for the first time, only my second song ever. While it captured the beat, there are a lot of marks I would have wanted in mid-beat, and I've been trying to add them manually.

Awesome, learned something new. I'll have to try laying down a .05 grid in addition to the beat wizard. I'm using the wizard for the first time, only my second song ever. While it captured the beat, there are a lot of marks I would have wanted in mid-beat, and I've been trying to add them manually.

Go back to the Beat Wizard dialog box and select 2x faster than the beat and it will create a timing grid for the half-beats.

Or, you can select a cell, right click the mouse and go down and select "subdivide timings". 

• Like 1

I am not sure that I understand the question, but the audio quality of the song is unrelated to timing marks in the sequence grid.

Here's my limited experience:  If I create a new song and use the beat wizzard first, when I playback the song at 1/2 speed it sounds like crap.  If I create a new song using a .05 grid and then use the beat wizzard, then playing at 1/2 speed is fine.

I can't relate to your issue Jim because I never use fixed timing grids.

But I also sometimes experience a crappy playback audio when using half-speed.  I almost always have play visible screen selected, and I've found that moving the time line a little either way will fix the sound. 

In past threads regarding this, people have speculated it has to do with using MP3 instead of .wav.  I've sometimes thought about trying a wav file to see if it still happens, but it's never bugged me enough to actually do that.

Go back to the Beat Wizard dialog box and select 2x faster than the beat and it will create a timing grid for the half-beats.

Or, you can select a cell, right click the mouse and go down and select "subdivide timings". 

I figured out the subdivide timings part when I was messing around one day. Thanks for the tip on the 2x faster grid. I figured out how to get that Beat Wizard dialog box to open so I can do that. But if I wanted to try laying down a .05 grid in addition to the beat wizard grid, how do I do that?

In the sequence editor, go to the right-hand side of the tool bar and click on the "Timings" button.  Then scroll down to the "Add New Fixed Grid" option and click it.  Then follow the prompts.

Or, go to TOOLS > BEAT WIZARD and choose "New Fixed Grid.