Light-O-Rama Forums

260 Days until first light

FarrOut

I started getting additional circuits run to where my controllers will be mounted yesterday.

I had an unused slot on the breaker box so installed a pair of 60's to feed a new box 

that will have 8 breakers.  

It's no wonder more people don't do this.  ;)

post-12120-0-77778000-1363271487_thumb.j

How many channels do you have!!!!!

You must not be using LEDs (or have a whole lot of them to need that much power).

I have an one amp panel and run 14 controllers, 30,000 (give or take) lights (over 90% are LED).

So I was wondering why you would need a power upgrade like that.

Don't forget the GFIs.

I have an one amp panel and run 14 controllers, 30,000 (give or take) lights (over 90% are LED).

So I was wondering why you would need a power upgrade like that.

Don't forget the GFIs.

You have a one amp panel???

And what controllers and LEDs do you use with one amp?

I started getting additional circuits run to where my controllers will be mounted yesterday.

I had an unused slot on the breaker box so installed a pair of 60's to feed a new box 

that will have 8 breakers.  

It's no wonder more people don't do this.  ;)

Good idea. Nothing like planning for future expansion.

With 4 controllers I do not see you having  much of a problem and its nice to know you have dedicated circuits run to exactly when you are going to need them.  You do know I hope that just because you are adding more circuits that does not mean that you have expanded the amount of power you have to work with.  By the looks of your setup what you have done is taken your current amount power and divided it to more circuits.  In other words if you have 200 amps of power going into your power box,  that is all the power you have to run your house and your lights regardless of the number of 20 amp circuits you have running off of it.  

Looks like it's being done by a pro so maybe that 200 amps total is being considered.

No, I'm still limited to 200 amps for the whole house.  

The four new quad boxes on the wall will have GFS outlets.  

The load side will be fed to another area 

that the controllers will actually plug into.

The guy helping me is a retired master union electrician 

and considers the looks of the final job just as important

as the safety of the installation.

Sending out an attaboy for the pigtail bonding on the 4x4 boxes.  It's a sign of quality work and a source of pride to see another sparky doing things right.  Too many guys out there today are cutting corners and omitting this important step in spite of what the NEC code requires.  Relying on the cover screws to complete the bond is an often overlooked no-no by inspectors.  I'm also a big fan of having all of the GFI's next to the panel and using the feed-through feature for downline GFI protection.  Well done.   

Sending out an attaboy for the pigtail bonding on the 4x4 boxes.  It's a sign of quality work and a source of pride to see another sparky doing things right.  Too many guys out there today are cutting corners and omitting this important step in spite of what the NEC code requires.  Relying on the cover screws to complete the bond is an often overlooked no-no by inspectors.  I'm also a big fan of having all of the GFI's next to the panel and using the feed-through feature for downline GFI protection.  Well done.   

As I said, my buddy is a retired union electrician, and does things right.  I got the idea about putting the GFI outlets next to the box from you.  Thanks.

• The topic was locked