Light-O-Rama Forums

Retiring in 2013

columbus27

What are you retiring in 2013.  I am retiring my singing pumpkins in my Halloween display.  And all LMFO songs.  

I am retiring my regular LED lights in my candy canes, Stars and small trees. I will be rebuilding with dumb strips and at this time, don't know how I will control the all new and improved lights.

Steve

What are you retiring in 2013.  I am retiring my singing pumpkins in my Halloween display.  And all LMFO songs.  

ditto on LMFAO songs and gangnam tune, keeping singing pumpkins but new tunes and maybe a makeover.

Dude, for a minute I thought you were saying you were retiring in 2013! I'm still building out my display, so there's very little that will retire. I may retire a sequence or two if I get enough of my own done. But I don't plan on retiring any lights or props...in fact I'm hoping to add many.

I still owe you a call...I'll catch up to you soon.

Just about everything is being redone in pixels in my display. I'm keeping 2) 4 channel stars, adding 2) 6 channel stars and the Mega tree is going from 10', 16 channels to 20' and 64 channels. I'm adding 8 legs to my existing 8 leg Superstar tree. Everything else will either be pixels or RGB nodes

Dude, for a minute I thought you were saying you were retiring in 2013! I'm still building out my display, so there's very little that will retire. I may retire a sequence or two if I get enough of my own done. But I don't plan on retiring any lights or props...in fact I'm hoping to add many. I still owe you a call...I'll catch up to you soon.

It's all good

I am going to spend more time this year on my static display. 

I'll be retiring quite a few sequences, some veteran mini trees, four 9-channel poles, four arches, quite a bit of ropelight, and another couple dozen incandescent strings.

I'm also moving more into RGB, but I use it mostly for eye candy.  I'll always have primarily traditional lights (soon all LED) in the display because it's what I like.  And to be blunt, I really haven't seen very many all-RGB displays (obviously excepting Geoff's) that I've liked all that much.  But then I haven't gotten used to the gagman stuff either...

I'm going to try and hold off on the RGB for a few more years. And wait for the technology to become more user friendly. 

I'm going to try and hold off on the RGB for a few more years. And wait for the technology to become more user friendly. 

A few more years?  A guy's gotta be careful not to let too many RGB trains pass you by - you never know when the tracks might wash out and leave you stranded.

LOR's RGB stuff is already user-friendly enough to be almost idiot-proof.

The leading DIY stuff will probably cross my threshold of "user friendly" before this year's out - and definitely by this time next year.  Then it becomes just a matter of price.  IMHO.  YMMV.

Adios to my 7 stick trees (they'll take up residence in the neighbors display) and be replaced with custom mini spiral trees using 500 feet of RGB.  Also leaving will be 50 or so strings of white incandescent icicles to be replaced with LED versions.

3 Channel Santa Face, Many strings on mini incandescents(LED conversion on some & 40 string RGB tree for others.

I'm yanking my large corner bush and putting in a large flowerbed to add to my other three beds.  The strings that were used for the bush will replace or add to other elements to increase brightness of those elements against my ball tree.  Also using a lot more 10-20W leds this year.

A few more years?  A guy's gotta be careful not to let too many RGB trains pass you by - you never know when the tracks might wash out and leave you stranded.

LOR's RGB stuff is already user-friendly enough to be almost idiot-proof.

The leading DIY stuff will probably cross my threshold of "user friendly" before this year's out - and definitely by this time next year.  Then it becomes just a matter of price.  IMHO.  YMMV.

I'd love to mess with RGB at some point, but it's mostly cost that's keeping me from it. It's fairly expensive, and I'm still building basics. For example, in January I went to Wal-Mart/Target and scooped up whatever lights were left at 75% off. I wasn't picky, I took whatever they had. So I wound up with a mish-mash of lights. Lots and lots of multi color strands...some incans, some LED C9s. But I'll take whatever I get and make it work. I have a "grand scheme" in mind, but it's going to take years and years to get there. I don't have a mega tree built yet, nor any arches, pinwheels, etc... Hoping to build my first arches this year, which will be static. From there, I'll look into mega trees and other props for 2014.

I am retiring my Rock'n Haunted Castle this year and my pumpkin Halloween faces.

I am totally changing up my theme this year to an Alien Invasion / UFO Theme.

I am adding more RGB/DMX lighting and reducing the standard LOR lighting down to just my singing Alien faces.

And cheaper.

I never thought I would like the DYI stuff but after a successful show last year with the DYI DMX RGB lighting, I am good with learning how to build it for less. I don't think the plug and play will ever be inexpensive because the CCR's have maintained the $250 mark for years now. But... The DYI has figured out how to make near CCR's for less than 100.00!   :D YEAH!!!

I never thought I would like the DYI stuff but after a successful show last year with the DYI DMX RGB lighting, I am good with learning how to build it for less. I don't think the plug and play will ever be inexpensive because the CCR's have maintained the $250 mark for years now. But... The DYI has figured out how to make near CCR's for less than 100.00!   :D YEAH!!!

Tracy,

Who is DYI? :P

• Like 1

Guest Don Gillespie

I think retiring is the wrong word, throwing it out cause it no longer fits my display might be better,  :lol:  I cut down two big trees in my yard to make room for my pixel mega tree, I have way to many decorations as it is, so each year I am lucky enough to insert some stuff I didn't use the year before, it seems to keep my display fresh and new for people to enjoy. heck I still have 75 tomatoe cages in my shed that are dying to be used, but not this year, maybe next year.