Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Faces

JF1993

As I searched the forums for threads on these ever-popular singing faces I couldn't exactly find one that fit my question so here it goes. If I'm looking at constructing one singing face for the front of my house, how should I determine how much rope light to buy? The area I want to hang it up on is probably around 10' by 10', but the face doesn't have to be that big. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this type of question? It would be really awesome if it could fit the 10' by 10' area, but like I said before I'm just in the process of figuring this out.

Thanks,

JF1993

good idea! I didn't even think about that. Thanks for the advice it sure makes this project a heck of a lot easier.

Also keep in mind that sections of rope light might go out in the middle of your show an if you dont have some on hand to quickly resolve ,...... so my suggestion would be just buy a spool of 200-300' its cheap enough and will save your A$$ and levels of stress if the above does happen.

• Like 1

As I searched the forums for threads on these ever-popular singing faces I couldn't exactly find one that fit my question so here it goes. If I'm looking at constructing one singing face for the front of my house, how should I determine how much rope light to buy? The area I want to hang it up on is probably around 10' by 10', but the face doesn't have to be that big. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this type of question? It would be really awesome if it could fit the 10' by 10' area, but like I said before I'm just in the process of figuring this out.

Thanks,

JF1993

I bought a 150' roll from novelty lights and 30+ ends, I then started to work on building my pumpkin faces.  Made a few mistakes with regard to length along the way but by having a roll it was easily rectified.  Now if you are building something with multiple colors then that complicates things, don't know anyone that sells partial rolls.

Ming Ming USA has partial rolls on their website and Ebay....I have used them for full rolls and partials and have had no issues with their products.

Ming Ming USA has partial rolls on their website and Ebay....I have used them for full rolls and partials and have had no issues with their products.

trying to find these folks with no luck, what is there website?  Not a fan of Ebay.

Went to mengmengusainc to check it out. Saw LED strings for $1.99 so thought I would pick up some. Filled my cart with 20, went to checkout and the shipping was $131. What???? Good thing I misspelled my PayPal passwor. Is this a scam site?

WOW!!! That is some major shipping and handling! :blink:

I think that most of the companies that are selling LED lights etc... are charging way too much for their shipping and handling. I bought $70.00 worth of pigtails (that weighs less than 3 pounds) and I was charged over 20.00 for the shipment. It is like they are doubling or tripling the shipping costs to make a little more. That is why when all possible, I buy on Ebay and pick stuff with free shipping and handling. This stuff is expensive enough without having them double dinging us on shipping. :angry:  

That must be a website issue. Contact him with what you want and he'll send a Paypal invoice with correct shipping. But I find it true that companies ship full rolls charge too much. I bought around 600' last year and shipping was aroun $60

But I also bought off of him on Ebay because his eBay was cheaper than his website

• 3 weeks later...

That's pretty interesting. I thought about doing these before, but last year I made 8 tombstones using this method with mini lights, and it seemed to take forever. I'm gonna do some shopping and compare the prices of rope lights first, but if it comes down to using mini lights that's fine too.

That must be a website issue. Contact him with what you want and he'll send a Paypal invoice with correct shipping. But I find it true that companies ship full rolls charge too much. I bought around 600' last year and shipping was aroun $60

But I also bought off of him on Ebay because his eBay was cheaper than his website

Could you tell me his ebay id?

Thanks,

Matt

That's pretty interesting. I thought about doing these before, but last year I made 8 tombstones using this method with mini lights, and it seemed to take forever. I'm gonna do some shopping and compare the prices of rope lights first, but if it comes down to using mini lights that's fine too.

We are also working on RGB versions of these same designs - much easier to assemble (hundres instead of thousands), more control (color) and actually about the same cost.

Thanks,

David

HolidayCoro.com

Commercial versions of Christmas lighting decorations almost always use the old reliable C7 strings because they're easily and cheaply replaced.

As cities and towns use up their inventory of incandescent bulbs, they switch over to the LED versions, called retrofit bulbs.

More expensive, but saves electricity in the long run.

And very easy to maintain; just replace whatever bulb is out.

Some cities are slowly getting into color changing light displays, but most seem to be renting them or hiring outside vendors, rather than doing this in-house.

• 3 months later...

I used the holiday coro sequences and made my own faces out of two 4X8 sheets of coro board, then built a frame out of PVC to give it strength. then I drew out my face free hand. then I pulled out the old cordles drill and drilled all the holes. Yes it was labor intensive but well worth it. took me a whole weekend to get it done and one evening of painting but looks awesome. used holiday coro's sequences. really made the finished product awesome! bought most of my lights in orange at Big lots for a great price!

You may be able to combine the rope lights with the coro to make what you are looking for!