Light-O-Rama Forums

2811 pixels max distance

mackdave

What is the max distance I can run from a e1.31 controller and the 2811 pixel string? Is one controller better than the other for distance? I want a distance of 50 ft. I have been looking at the j1 sys and the sandevice.

They talk about a null pixel, is this just a pixel between the controller and the pixel string? And if it was at the start of a universe would it be use channels 1,2, and 3? And then start the pixel string at 4,5, and 6.

That my friend, is still a mystery to me. I'm not even sure you put a channel to it. Hopefully someone with experience using a null pixel will jump in here and answer that one. I hope so, 'cause I want to know that too. I actually didn't think about asking in my thread.

How about it Pixel Folks, Do we put channels on a null pixel or do we solder it in line and leave it blank?

When you tell the software for the hardware there is null pixel, it does not count the null pixel in the channel count.

So, tell me if weunderstand this correctly.

We install an un-used pixel between the pixel controller and first pixel of the string, go into the set-up software for the controller we're using, and tell it this string has a null pixel. Then the pixel controller skips over that null pixel and sends the data on to the first pixel being used, and then, starts the commands there. The first pixel, assuming it’s p1, will actually be channels 1-3, correct?

How much extra distance does a single null pixel give, in theory? Can you use more than one null pixel?

Sorry mackdave, I’m not trying to hijack the thread but I’m sure these questions are going through your mind too. Hopefully we can get it sorted out.

Thanks Doug.

You can use more than 1 null pixel. Each type of pixel is different. A safe estimate would be 1 null pixel every 25 feet. Someone can correct me If I am wrong.

How about it mackdave, did that answer your question? It certainly did mine. I'll shut up now and stop hijacking your thread. Hope this helped.

Thanks Doug

You weren't hijacking my thread. I think I got the answer I wanted. I am trying to figure this out before I buy useless stuff. Does the  j1 sys and sandevice have a null pixel setting? 

Additional information: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26375-extend-2811s-with-seperate-driver-chip/

Null pixels are available on Ebay for about $1.30 each.

For a $1.30 each compared to the cost of just using a pixel that costs under 40 cents, then i would choose the latter. But its an option for those that desire it.

You in theory can setup as many pixels that is needed with null pixels and extend the distance to as far as needed. The only thing to be aware when doing this is voltage drop and sometimes its better to have a power supply at the lights or nearby, especially when using 5vdc.

I would believe at 50 feet that you will need at least one or 2 null pixels to ensure the signal doesnt degenerate. But i would also be looking at any potential voltage drops over that distance which will be determined by the guage cable you use and the load put on that cable.

Both systems have a null pixel setting in the firmware.   Kens link to null pixels is a great deal as well lets you get virtually any distance from the controlles location without to many extra wires.  As Eddy pointed out the part to watch carefully will be voltage drop at the other end of the string.  if you covering distances of 50+ feet I would reccomend a power supply at the element your going to.

This is a product from J1. These are a little more money than null pixels, but the fact that you can extend voltage and data very long distances using regular cat5 cable, made me seriously consider going this route. Just another option.

http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-ppx/

Edited by funkymzk

This is a product from J1. These are a little more money than null pixels, but the fact that you can extend voltage and data very long distances using regular cat5 cable, made me seriously consider going this route. Just another option.

http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-ppx/

+1

I have been looking at these as a way to run some items that will be quite a distance from the "main display" items. They are something to consider but also using null pixels works for smaller distance requirements like 20 to 50 feet as long as other things like power can work with them.