Light-O-Rama Forums

Electric Bill

roach.dan@gmail.com

Just got my Dec 14-Jan 15 bill $300+ Jan 15-Feb 14 was $444. How in the world is 10,000 leds more than my 7500 inca's from the year prior and how is a month with no lights over $100 more? Is that even possible? I called SCE and they said it was cold and the heater fan uses electricity.C'mon more electricity that Christmas lights and almost the same Electricity of both my AC units running 20 hours a day in August?  

Sorry for the ramble had to vent somewhere :)

I realize when you saw the amount your eyes were fixated on only the dollar amt.....could it have been maybe an estimated bill......I noticed our estimated bill are always higher and when the meter is read the following month it gets corrected

I wish it was the estimated amount it's the real deal. I seriously don't know why it would be so high.

What's the average increase everyone sees for Christmas? Mine was about $150. The Jan-Feb bill was higher than Nov-Dec. How I don't know :(

What was your usage and price per kilowatt?

Since California is going bankrupt there was probably a huge price increase at the first of the year!!  :blink:

I run 60,000 LED's...bill goes up less than $100

Edited by jimswinder

I wish it was the estimated amount it's the real deal. I seriously don't know why it would be so high. What's the average increase everyone sees for Christmas? Mine was about $150. The Jan-Feb bill was higher than Nov-Dec. How I don't know :(

I kinda hate to tell you this .BUT we ran 65,000 lights outside  2 Christmas trees inside also numerious assorted lighted stuff my wife wants and were 90% LED and we ran from thanksgiving to new years day and our bill went up $78.00

I'm going to assume Edison put in a smart meter in the last few months.  That has been known to add 30-40% to most peoples bill.

My highest bill was $180 last year, this year the first 2 months with the smart meter my bill jumped to $280!!

According to SCE we use more power now that 3 kids have moved out and I got rid of my jacuzzi.

That's when I decided to give SCE the finger and added a 3.2kw solar system.

Scott

I'm going to assume Edison put in a smart meter in the last few months.  That has been known to add 30-40% to most peoples bill.

My highest bill was $180 last year, this year the first 2 months with the smart meter my bill jumped to $280!!

According to SCE we use more power now that 3 kids have moved out and I got rid of my jacuzzi.

That's when I decided to give SCE the finger and added a 3.2kw solar system.

Scott

Scott brings up a good point.......The good ole demand meter .....if at any point it reads a high demand and the demand jumps up your total bill is at the higher rate even if the demand goes down .

Smart meter went in October and yup everything has jumped since then. Last bill was 1,541 kw and ranged from .03 for tier 1 to .27 for tier 5. Ya tier 5 for 620 kw! I have no idea what would be running that would get it so high. Serious dilemma I'm using my kill a watt to check draw on some normal house hold appliances and nothing is crazy enough to equal that. We have 2 1500 watt portable stanley heaters that my wife probably left on here and there but even with them running 8 hours a day which is ridiculous the math doesn't add up. Solar panels might be a good idea this year. Do you find it hard to move around them to put up lights and fixtures?

Also 4.6% price increase

Reread post #2!  I wish I were in a position to move out of the Madison area.  A lot of liberal nuts around here.  They are fighting tooth and nail to stop legislation that would provide thousands of jobs just so that they don't give Governor Walker a huge win.

Our first year with LOR ,2010 , halloween was our biggest show, (small compared to some) . Had about 10,000 incan. minis , 4 halogen floods @ 90 watts each, and a 8 blowmolds @ 40 watts each. Our PPL bill was actually less for the show time frame than it was for the same period the previous month. Figure that one out. Wife was pleased ;)

Solar panels might be a good idea this year. Do you find it hard to move around them to put up lights and fixtures?

I had been planning on solar panels for several years so I always kept the garage roof free of decorations.

I needed a bit more room than cold fit on just the garage so 2 more panels went on the house roof but off the the side.

If they were on the house roof then yes, they would be a huge pain to decorate around.

You need to move to another state! 

I don't know about Dan, but I've grown to used to the weather here.

Some friends that live back east and had been posting pictures of the 3 feet of snow in there front yard. So I posted a picture of the snow we get here in So Cal.

post-358-0-99873300-1361858155_thumb.jpg

One thing about old mechanical meters. They eventually tend to read low. Then any kind of meter change and the subscriber gets a shock. We see it here for water meter replacements quite frequently. And where besides smart meter projects do you see so many old meters changed out at once. It is a lightning rod for controversy. After all, nobody wants to admit that their increase is due to them getting a break for the past few years from a slow meter.

Yeah, the old mechanical meters have bearings that wear, so there's a drag on the spinner that's moving the usage display gears.  My bill went up about 10% when we went to an electronic meter.

I used to live in an area where a smart meter was optional.  They almost had me talked into it until a hurricane hit the area.  They they decided to just turn off power to anyoen having a smart meter in most areas affected, to "conserve for ememgency purposes"  My power was out for about a day; the neighbors with the smart meters were out for about a week until they got enough of the infrastrucre repaired to get down to the individual home owner level to replace the blown smart meters.

OK, this was the west coast of Floirda; Tampa Bay area.  I also didn't like hearing about them shutting people's AC units off during the heat waves that hit the area.  I know; I'm selfish.  I like not having to replace spoiled food or live in a house that is 85+ degrees inside.

Here in NC, I think my bill goes up about an additional $25 or so per month due to lights; mostly incanscent, on controllers, with a lot of "off time."    Hard to tell; it also drops about $75 a month due to shutting off the pool pump.  I don't have a good baseline, since I've been making other engery conservation mods, like an almost-white roof.  Highest bill I've ever had was $450 in the heat of the summer, and that was the year before I replaced my central HVAC system with a much more efficent system.  Now I average about $280 during the hot times of the year and $180 during the cold times of the year like now.

Don't know about my electric bill cause wife pays it.. but the propane bill in Dec was over $600 and then again in Jan it was over $800... That is just propane.. so our electric is on top of that.. And we live in "Sunny California"...

I know our Dec Electric bill went up but a small amount.. but less then $100 I think she said.. .

I don't know about Dan, but I've grown to used to the weather here.

Some friends that live back east and had been posting pictures of the 3 feet of snow in there front yard. So I posted a picture of the snow we get here in So Cal.

Ya hadda remind us easterners.......... huh!!!!! :angry: