Light-O-Rama Forums

Distance from Pixel Controller to first Pixel

Ron Boyd

For the folks who used E1.31 this passed season, would you take a look at this diagram and let me know if I'm on the right track? I'm really only concerned about the distance on outputs 13-16. Should I use a null pixel of some sort or woll I be ok?

I already have the layout figured for all of my LOR pixels, but the E1.31 is new for me this year.

I'm almost sure about the way I have it designed, as far as getting from PC to the pixels, but if I have something wrong, I'd like to know that too.

Thanks for any insights or comments.

Regardless of controller they should yield the same results I used the E681 but the results can be duplicated on the J1 boards.  2 of my runs from controller to first pixel were 40 feet.  I had no issues with stuck pixels other than errors in my sequence.  You could extend that virtually forever with null pixels.  Nothing looks too far for your setup.    I tested in my living room over 60 feet to first pixel as well with no ill effects.   As soon as the first pixel gets the data it replicates and passes on.    I do see you have some 2801 in there.  Those are tricky 8 foot or less is good rule on those if you dont have the 2801 pixels already do not buy them.

Do you already have the 27 channel DC board?  If you do then you can use it, if you dont then save your money for Alans board.

The 2801 pixels are the Rainbow pixels. I already have them and the 27 ch board. Just trying to get an idea about how much wire I'll need.

Thanks William

The 2801's have to be very close to the controller, the 2811's 10m is what is on the spec sheet, many of us ran more than that.  Your using Cat5 to get to the controllers so distance your running is irrelavent.  Your good to go on the picture you have setup.

Depending on the voltage used then voltage drop may be a bigger consideration rather than signal degredation as all you just need to add a null pixel which is just a spare pixel used to regenerate the signal to gain further distance.

Now if using 5vdc then depending on the guage size of the cable used and the current requirements would determine the level of power injection needed or if its better to have larger guage cable or locate the power supply closer to the lights. I think this is something that may need to be managed with 5vdc

I'll be using 5v, 2811 pixels, 1 or 2, 5v-60a-300w PS and the connections to the strings will be made with 3 conductor, 16awg SPT-2 ran to a little over 600 pixels over 16 outputs. The power supplies will be mounted in the same enclosure or another enclosure right beside the pixel controller. 12 of the strings will have runs less than 4 ft and 42 pixels each (504). The other 4 runs will be between 10 and 20 feet, approximately. The longer runs will be powering 2, 21 ct. pixel strings and 2, 42 ct. pixel strings.

The 2 42 pixel strings may be an issue but the fact that your using 16 guage cable should help reduce the voltage drop over that distance

Some quick maths can give us an idea on voltage drop

16 guage cable = 0.004 ohms/foot

0,004 x (20feet x 2) - the distnace is both the +V and ground disance added together

0.16 Ohms for a 20 foot run in cable resistance for 16 guage

So now a single pixel draws 0.3 watts @ 5vdc this equates to 0.06 amps per pixel

0.06 amps x 42 = 2.52 amps

So now we can work out the volatge drop over a 20 foot run using 16 guage cable supplying power to 42 5vdc pixels

voltage drop  = current x resistance

= 2.52 amps x 0.16 = 0.4032 volts.

This is well within the acceptable limits of voltage drop because with a 5vdc pixel you would have to see a voltage drop of approx 1.8 volts before you would start seeing effects.  but this calculation does not take into account the cable used in the string itself and as such you may get more voltage drop through the string that may cause the end of the string to dim.