Light-O-Rama Forums

Extend 2811s with seperate driver chip

Ken Benedict

For those long runs to the 2811 smart pixel chips, you might need an extender or "buffer" chip to rebuild the signal.

Here's some individual circuit boards: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-PCB-mounted-WS2811-SMD5050-RGB-LEDs-/160951021090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25796dae22

Ten for $12 could get you quite a distance.

Ken wouldnt this be a 2812 Chip?  Also why kind of distance are you trying to cover!  Good find Ken as this may help some of those guys with huge yards trying to setup elements.   Null pixels are something they will have to familiarize themselves wih to make those long 100+ foot runs.  Which it will do with these as long as you have power and signal.

I can get about 40 feet without any negative effects on the E68x boards.  I know the J1 you have to adjust speed to get more distance but I would assume they have similar max distances.

Or take a look at the J1sys pixel extender boards to get the distance.  These look like they would work nicely for some extreme distance when looking at 100 to 200 feet for display items.

http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-ppx/

Certainly more money than trying ot use null pixels but this gives you the distance without anymore than a Cat cable running out to things.  I am going to pick up some of the J1 extenders to see how they work as I have some places that are almost 200 feet away from the house to run and they would certainly make life a lot easier.

• Like 1

Ken wouldnt this be a 2812 Chip?  Also why kind of distance are you trying to cover!  Good find Ken as this may help some of those guys with huge yards trying to setup elements.   Null pixels are something they will have to familiarize themselves wih to make those long 100+ foot runs.  Which it will do with these as long as you have power and signal.

I can get about 40 feet without any negative effects on the E68x boards.  I know the J1 you have to adjust speed to get more distance but I would assume they have similar max distances.

Yes, these chips are the 2812 type, but they are the same as the 2811, from a software standpoint. Just a combined logic and driver circuitry.

The J1sys boards can accomodate null pixels in their setup screen so people can have an extended smart pixel cheaply.