Light-O-Rama Forums

Backup LMS File not loading?

Ralph A

I'm a bit puzzled.  Those with more knowledge on computers may know what I'm doing wrong here.

I made backup files of my new sequences prior to having my computer worked on. I'm running 3.9.0 Advanced. I put my sequence files on an external hard drive.  That file reads as follows;  "Overture 2013.lms.lsv"  It was working fine on the computer I copied it from.  

I then transferred the file to by backup computer and it would not open in LOR.   Also running 3.9.0 Advanced.  The error read  "unknown file extension"   I then changed the file extension to read  "Overture 2013 .lms  "   When I tried to open it the error message read  "This file is not an LOR save file (unexpected root element) "

What am I doing wrong here? 

Thanks for the advice

Lets see.......after I renamed the file or removed the lsv, i just hit enter.  Is there something else I need to be doing?

I'm a bit puzzled.  Those with more knowledge on computers may know what I'm doing wrong here.

I made backup files of my new sequences prior to having my computer worked on. I'm running 3.9.0 Advanced. I put my sequence files on an external hard drive.  That file reads as follows;  "Overture 2013.lms.lsv"  It was working fine on the computer I copied it from.  

I then transferred the file to by backup computer and it would not open in LOR.   Also running 3.9.0 Advanced.  The error read  "unknown file extension"   I then changed the file extension to read  "Overture 2013 .lms  "   When I tried to open it the error message read  "This file is not an LOR save file (unexpected root element) "

What am I doing wrong here? 

Thanks for the advice

Ralph,

Take a look at the file extensions, and what they do, in S3. The .LSV file isn't a sequence file, and won't open in the SE.

You may have known file types hidden (explained in the link) which would cause some problems. That said, if you open the SE first, then open the sequence via the File -> Open menu, you'll see only the main file, not the extra files that go along with the sequence.

I have "File Extension"  unchecked in folder options or visible.  When in SE,  file/open I can see the file that I changed but it will not open.  Still get the error  "This file is not an LOR save file..."    I can open other lms files that were made on the backup computer but not the ones transferred.   Intrusting? I have followed  the directions on changing the extension file but it will not open.

The only time you would want to change a file extension if you are going to be using a system generated .BAK file. Any other time you shouldn't be changing the extension. Doing so is only going to introduce problems (and will solve nothing.)

If you want, you can send me the file (info at synchronizedchristmas dot com) and I'll look at it for you.

Don, email sent.  Thanks for the help. 

So to avoid this problem in the future, is there a better way to make a backup that will work on another computer without having to make any changes to the file?