Light-O-Rama Forums

lor and e682

bizket666

hi i am new to the whole christmas lights thing i have been well deraming of starting my own display for a few years due to the fact that any type of holiday sprit is lacking where i live.

right my set up will consist of lor ctb16d controler using this for 240v stuff like rope lights blowmolds talking face ect.

i have also orded a sandevices e682 which im planning on using either 4 or 6x5m led strips

will this work? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180905252565?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

whatr i have red and the more i do the more i seem to get confused.

the lor will run through the adapter from lor softhwere as it should

i have red that the e682 will run through a wireless router (i have a spare i was planning on using for this)

it will work with lor 3 on an advance license?

can any one conferm this or point me in the right direction to videos tutorials on setting this up ect

oh im fron england by the way

thanks for ant help

Edited by bizket666

You could use those strips, they are 4 wire and work fine.  Those are the same chipset as the CCR.   Most of the DIY croud are favoring the 2811 and 2812 chipsets this year, as well last year.   They are less expensive as well a 3 wire setup.   When you start soldering on connectors and running lead, you will see how quickly that 3 wire vs 4 wire becomes a god send.  I personally used this strip http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html and had 0 failures.   Theres plenty of us who ran 2811 pixels with 0 failures.   The DIY route takes some courage, you will get many answers its up to you to make sure you are getting good info.

Second, you can run the E682 wirelessly off a router.   There are some issues that come into play with wireless transmission.  Again there are a few guys who did it, Im going to attempt it this year.   What will be important is a strong connection, with no outside interferance (not cheap equipment).   The amount of data sent to the controllers can become very condensed, and if the wireless drop even a few packets you will see pixles stuck on colors for a few moments or longer depending on your sequence, or just missed commands.   I will have a backup plan with running a wire to the yard as I did last year, Im just trying to clean up the yard with cables.   I cant say much I went from 32 channels to 3500 in one year with pixels.  The number of cords is staggering to imagine.  The guys like Don, Doug, Trafficman, and so on with 500+ LOR channels.  I cant imagine the nightmare of cords.   I ran a total of 11 including power to the controllers.  Thats what made me want to stay with pixels.   WIth the Aussie guys making DC boards that also run in a pixel format I can add strobes or floods this year as well.

The license, you will need the Advanced for 1.31.   You should get it regardless as there are so many benefits of the Advanced license beyond DMX that it should be the only package available.   Good luck and continue to read.  There is so much to learn, and so little time.  Ive got 1 guy, in fact Im sure hes sitting in his underwear in the middle of his living room playing with an E682 right this moment.  A few guys that can really help are Harrison5050 and Edvas69.  Between the 2 of them they answered 110% of my questions.  

Lastly if you havent been here to download the How To that Eddy created, you havent started working with pixels.  http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.0.html

Just had a crazy vision of Jeff sitting in his underwear playing with pixels! Thinking need to visit a psychatrist now...

LOL

Just had a crazy vision of Jeff sitting in his underwear playing with pixels! Thinking need to visit a psychatrist now...

LOL

you know for a fact he is, Jeff and Mike both have the E682 today.

And on topic, if theres anything else you have questions of please let us know.

Edited by WilliamS

having trouble on oz xmas lights i have signed up and keep re requesting an confermation email but still havent recived any thing