Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Strip Repair

mrduncan

What is the preferred technic on cutting out and replacing an RGB node out of a RGB strip? 

1. Solder the replacement node in place or purchase 4 conductor
    snap-on connectors?
  1. Once the electrical repair is complete, what is the preferred
    way of weather proofing the joint?  My
    RGB strips have a clear plastic tubing around the strip.

First thing i try is running a solder iron across all the solder joints in the failed section in case it is caused by a dry solder joint, if that doesnt work I then cut out the offending pixel and solder in a new one, i use clear heat shrink and a dab of silicone to seal up, this has worked well over the years.

Just be sure that you remove the correct pixel, if the pixel has stopped working and all the pixels after that are not working then its normally caused by a blown output on the IC driver, so more times than not its the last pixel that is actually running that is the faulty one and not the first one that is not working, generally in this situation i change both pixels because the output may have blown due to a faulty input on the next pixel.

Us Yanks refer to the situation that you described as a COLD solder joint, not a dry solder joint.

Im sure there are many other things that I may say that are lost amongst the US guys. Many would love the fact that we spell color with a U so its colour

I always loved the British use of Valve and maybe you all down under used that term also. Oh well, with the exception of a few, that term had gone by the way side. But got to ask if our vacuum tube was a valve for the Brits. Then what did the Brits call a device that turned off water or a gas? Which us yanks called a valve?

Now we have those who are new to electronics / electrical using terms that are common off shore, 4 core. When us old guys who have been in the trade for years we call a 4 conductor connector or 4 conductor cable.

Just pulling your chain edvas, yet giving name that we yanks call a bad solder joint. To me a dry joint would be something that did not get soldered. it was not wetted with solder.

• The topic was locked