Light-O-Rama Forums

Wow!

Sheldon_15

My understanding is that Larry Stewart's wife did this in his honor after he died in 2011 (hence why it say's "in memory of my darling Larry" with his photo on the roof at 2:25 in the video). He had always dreamed of doing a big Christmas display after watching lots of videos online. She hired a friend to do it in 2011 and make his dream come true (after his passing). Facing a court battle now though due to some neighbors complaining. Uses Madrix software I believe.

Edited by Surfing4Dough

Search madrix christmas on youtube and you'll find this house with a short bio and credits...and yes it is awesome....

If Larry loved to watch animated lighting, my question is if she has at least...very small number here of $20k invested in that show why wasn't it done back when Larry was alive?

I have to admit, this is cool

Edited by PMC

This display is in Fountain Valley (Orange County, CA) which is about 45 - 1hr from me. I was fortunately to see it live....it's just as impressive. It was crowded with cars and the neighbors did complain...sounds familiar :-(

I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy...I'm sure he gets asked all the time. He used Madrix as it was already mentioned....and a s**t load of pixels!!!

Kevin

if you downloaded the madrix software and look at its control surface, what these "sequences" actually are is a mix of "instant sequence" with some animated .gif with adding a few pics and a spectrum analyzer, and some software installed templates like Mirror Ball, not to take away steam from the person who did this there is time spent making this happen, but I see more interest in the money spent to make it happen lets call the house "Pixel Palace" than the actual work involved in creating the sequence, watch a few videos you see the same animation over and over, Anti-Static Lightning, Audio Graph Spectrum, (not including the dedicated to Larry) that deserves to be there and yes that house should have been animated while Larry was alive, but I don't know the whole story on Larry so I will let it go ... I only played with the Madrix software for a few hours and created some neat effects. but when I got the price to do what I wanted to do..... uninstall madrix..... YES

Edited by PMC

I think the estimate of $20k is quite a bit shy...

It is a neat display, but to me it looks like a Mr. Christmas on steroids.

A smaller display that is sync'ed to the music is much more impressive. To me at least.

I think the estimate of $20k is quite a bit shy...

It is a neat display, but to me it looks like a Mr. Christmas on steroids.

A smaller display that is sync'ed to the music is much more impressive. To me at least.

I agree we are talking easy 50K plus here considering the level of madrix that is required to run it and the cost of the stellascape pixels and controllers. This is definetly one display that only most of us can only ever dream of. ^_^

I think the reason she is doing it now that Larry has passed is because she has his life insurance to pay for it how else would a normal person afford it. :D

When low res video walls were just starting out, we had a bunch of things that we had issues with. Much of it had to do with live timing delays. The computers are much faster now and the way it is done using DMX is far better then how we started with all the proprietary software and drivers. This house looks just like a low res video wall like we used to do... but we never did it on a house thats for sure. Looks great.. but I have to agree... not impressed completely with the programming, though it looks cool.. but I am impressed with the hardware..

Don't recall where the video I watched on this house was but they said she spent 50-60K for the display.

Either way it is very impressive. What kills me is the time it would take to do the setup of all that.

always fun to see others.

You thought you had a big display.....there's always someone that has a bigger and better one.

Yes, it's impressive, in a gaudy sort of way... and who among us WOULDN'T like to have that kind of budget?

But I've always maintained that if the lights aren't synchronized well, it quickly becomes visual gibberish.

In this case, very expensive visual gibberish perhaps...

Yes, it's impressive, in a gaudy sort of way... and who among us WOULDN'T like to have that kind of budget?

But I've always maintained that if the lights aren't synchronized well, it quickly becomes visual gibberish.

You're right George... but there is SOOO much potential there... I can dream, can't I?

D.T.

This is because they use madrix which really is only good for creating effects and not the best for actual sequence creation and beat based sequences. You can tell a madrix driven display a mile away as most ive seen lack a great deal of creativety and are more just effects thrown over a grid. I must admit though that 2012 was much better sequenced than in 2011

Edited by edvas69

I would love to see a daytime video of the display to see how it is wired and set up.

I agree with you guys on the sequencing part but it s still a very impressive set-up.

I am sure Larry can see it crystal clear from where he's at.

• The topic was locked