Light-O-Rama Forums

Making medium/regular size trees

Al Saunders

Hey Everyone,

Wanted to share what I made this year that turned out pretty good. We all talk about mini and mega trees but I searched for regular and medium trees on the forums but didn't see anything like what I made so I wanted to share.

I realize a medium/regular size tree can be purchased anywhere but I like making my props myself. Call me crazy. :o

I came up with making a tree out of one 2X4X8. I cut it down to 5 1/2 feet then cut the remaining 30 inches in half. I took a scrap piece of plywood that I think is about 28" X 10" or 12" and took drywall screws and attached each piece at 5" leaving 10" hanging off both sides. I then added drywall screws down the front of the 2X4 at 3" intervals. Then painted it all black and strung 3-100 strings of red,green and blue. This year I used incans and had to block out several bulbs because I staggered each color and as I went down the board I had more left over. One other thing, I used tent stakes and guy wire on the front and back to prevent it from blowing over. Side to side it was fine. Obviously you can make one any hight but these measurements use just one 2X4 stud board. I have a few pictures that I can email if anyone is interested. email me at bigman352@gmail.com,

Hope you guys like my idea and can use it.

Later,

Al

Hey Dave,

Sorry for the delay. I'm trying to figure out how to post photos to a forum. As soon as I am able to upload them I will

thanks,

Al

Hey Everyone,

Finally realized how to upload some photos two were too large to upload though. I think you get the idea of my med/reg tree or as it's starting to be known as "2X4 tree. :D It worked pretty well and is easy to transport. I forgot to mention in my original post there are small hooks on the bottom of the tree to hold the light strings taught. Hope you like it and maybe build on for next years show.

Thanks,

Al

The photos helped a lot. I was having a hard time figuring out how you were getting a round tree from the description. Now I see in the photos that it is a flat tree and it all makes sense....

Yes, sorry I didn't mention the tree is flat. In my display the viewers are parked across the street from my house so the tree faces them and I don't need to worry about it being flat. I would think it would work in other displays as well.

Thanks,

Al