Light-O-Rama Forums

Best Wash Floods to try?

Herbaclaus

Hi guys,

I used old school floods this year but wanted to upgrade and get a better coverage flood for next year. However, I don't want to get to high end/high tech if I don't have to. I can go single color per fixture and just run one channel per color.

What would be good options? I have a big, tall house with wrap around porch.

Thanks!

Herb

how hi-tech do you want? do you want them controllable? if so, the 10w RGB floods on aliexpress (ray wu's store) are good, the 30w are insanely bright.

how hi-tech do you want? do you want them controllable? if so, the 10w RGB floods on aliexpress (ray wu's store) are good, the 30w are insanely bright.

Thanks! I guess I will go as high tech as I can withoit feeling like I am soldering and going DMX. This year I am tackling some CCR strips thru LOR, so I will move up from my 32 channels and traditional scheme. So cost is less important on floods than is the ease. My house is a painted creme colored brick, the porch would rock with a color wash. My spots this year were just shined up on my walls of my house and were not seen well due to my bushes being bright. So I figured this year I move the floods to the porch.

I do want them controlled on channels. I guess my concern over having them change colors is wether I can learn it!

hey herb,

check out what www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com has to offer. they way you discribe your porch they have several things that would work for you.

i did a set-up for my city at our courthouse and use their rainbow flood extremes. they are very bright and very easy to control. they come with 3 rgb channels per unit. the really good thing is that they are dmx based so it won't take any channels away from your controllers. all you do is you have have 2nd usb to a dmx dongle and control the light seperately. according to the software you will have 2 separate systems (lor and dmx) but they are all set-up the same in the seq editor. the set-up i used had 9 flood lights, leds, and rope lights controlled with 1 controller and 1 dmx unit. seasonal has everything you need for what your thinking and its very easy to use and control.

they have floods, spots, and wall runners that would work well for what you are talking about. if i were you i would mount the units above your porch and have the floods shine down to your porch. that way you could flood the porch and not be hidden by your bushes.

i used them on a white stucco courthouse and they worked very well.

get with greg at seasonal and he will be glad to help you out and answer any questions. he's been very helpful to me.

any questions let me know.

good luck

you are very welcome.

if you need anything else just hollar.

i'll answer it if i can, point you in the right direction or atleast make it sound like i know what i'm talking about ( kidding). just ask my wife i don't know alot but i can sound like i do.

if you have any questions about setting it up in lor let me know. i'll help you with what i know. its not a whole lot but i can get to the "here's its set-up and now you can play with it" stage.

i forgot to tell you they are having their 1st presale this year. its thru sometime in feb. it may save you a couple of bucks.

good luck

Hi Herb

For the past 2 years I have used 60 LED/m RGB strip as a wall wash. I just mounted the strip under my eaves facing back towards the house and was very happy with the effect. (You can see all my uploads from http://www.youtube.c...iexmas43/videos including previous years.) As your house is tall, you may require strip at 2 levels, or if you have posts for your porch, they could be mounted behind the posts facing the house.

There has also been some discussion on the ACL forum - http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,3698.0.html

Regards Geoff

Hi Herb

For the past 2 years I have used 60 LED/m RGB strip as a wall wash. I just mounted the strip under my eaves facing back towards the house and was very happy with the effect. (You can see all my uploads from http://www.youtube.c...iexmas43/videos including previous years.) As your house is tall, you may require strip at 2 levels, or if you have posts for your porch, they could be mounted behind the posts facing the house.

There has also been some discussion on the ACL forum - http://auschristmasl...pic,3698.0.html

Regards Geoff

Thanks Geoff!

My porch is about 10 feet high and 65 feet long. I saw the pixel discussion. I wonder how that looks in conjunction with lights around windows and pillars? Enough light still you think? I will have the house double strung with white/red for color changes. I wanted to use the floods/wash for accenting that plus introducing green/blue for certain songs.

I guess with either the floods or the pixels I wanna make sure I can get them working easily with LOR.

Thanks Geoff!

My porch is about 10 feet high and 65 feet long. I saw the pixel discussion. I wonder how that looks in conjunction with lights around windows and pillars? Enough light still you think? I will have the house double strung with white/red for color changes. I wanted to use the floods/wash for accenting that plus introducing green/blue for certain songs.

I guess with either the floods or the pixels I wanna make sure I can get them working easily with LOR.

Herb

My wall wash & most of the ones discussed at ACL are not pixels, but dumb strip - ie the whole strip is all controlled by 1 RGB channel; (in my case I wired the strips so that I had up to 3 x 5m strips controlled by 1 RGB (ie 3 LOR) channels using a DC board. I used a total of 4 RGB channels (12 LOR channels) so I could vary wash colours in different locations. My upper roof line (top horizontal) is about 28 x 12 m (~90 x 40 feet). It is outlined using CCRs + dumb RGB strip (30 LED/m).

Wrt getting an adequate level of wash light relative to other lights, there may be some trial & error testing required. My wash lights are under the eaves about 2-3 feet from the wall, but only at the top. Having a white or light coloured painted wall surface gives a much brighter wash than a dark or brick surface regardless of the type of flood or wash lighting used. The height of the area I washed varied up to 6-7feet and I thought I achieved a good coverage. Note that both photos and videos seem to accentuate the wash lighting intensity relative to that of the other LEDS (icicles, outlines etc). The house pictured in the ACL forum used double rows of strip, but he was washing a brick surface. 

The use of wash lighting in conjunction with other lights involves some experimentation. In many sequences, I used the same colour wash as the lights on at the time. This sometimes washed out the effect of the standard LED lights. Some of the better results came when there was a marked contrast between the colours of the wash and the LED lights.

Hmmm. Gotcha. Thanks Geoff. Is there a good recommendation for a set-up thats easily integrated into the LOR universe without mixing hardware too much? or because they are "dumb", does that take a good bit of the complexity in mixing into LOR channels out?

Geoff, been watching this thread, but I didn't associate the name to the display until just now.  Always admired your use of wash lights on the house.  Very, very nice application of lights.

Hmmm. Gotcha. Thanks Geoff. Is there a good recommendation for a set-up thats easily integrated into the LOR universe without mixing hardware too much? or because they are "dumb", does that take a good bit of the complexity in mixing into LOR channels out?

What Geoff was explaining is as easy as standard sequencing using DC controllers for the dumb strips. The dumb strips have 3 different colors (R,G,B ) and you just sequence those colors like they were three seperate strings. I'm also using the 60 LED/m RGB strips which are perfect for my using as well. The DC controllers are just light your standard controllers when connecting up and they are cheaper than the standard controllers.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Santas Helper

What Geoff was explaining is as easy as standard sequencing using DC controllers for the dumb strips. The dumb strips have 3 different colors (R,G,B ) and you just sequence those colors like they were three seperate strings. I'm also using the 60 LED/m RGB strips which are perfect for my using as well. The DC controllers are just light your standard controllers when connecting up and they are cheaper than the standard controllers.

Hope that helps.

Thats exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!