Light-O-Rama Forums

Repairing mini lights

FarrOut

I'm a newby, and I presume many have started doing what I am trying to do, get 'broken' light sets from all your friends and neighbors to fix.

I bought the light keeper and have found many bad bulbs.

Now the questions.

Is there any place to purchase bulbs that is less expensive than just buying another string of lights to be a donor.

Perhaps I should just take the worst set and take the bulbs from it to fix the others.

Do the bulbs come in different voltages? Most seem to be 2v for 50 bulbs per segment, but some are 35 bulbs per

segment, so I presume they are about 3v.

Thanks

Dennis

Exactly, donor strings are the cheapest source. Just be sure to match bulb voltages. Strings are assembled in increments of either 35 or 50, and each uses a different voltage bulb. Most strings are 100-ct or 200-ct, each divisible by 50, so you can share bulbs between them. Likewise, a 70-ct string can use bulbs from a 35-ct donor.

It's also worth noting that 100 count strings are really 2 50-ct strings joined together, and 200-cts are likewise 4 strings. If you have a half a string that is badly damaged, you can find where one string ends, where there are only 2 wires between lamps rather than three, cut them and put on a new plug and use just the good portions of the string.

BTW, 50-cts use 2.5v bulbs while 35-ct use 3.5v.

Also you have to watch out for "Energy Saver" type bulbs. Lowes changed their lights a couple years back to these and those bulbs will act like a camera's flash bulb when you put them in the old non-Energy Saver strands. (and if you do vice versa then the bulb will be very dark)

Couldn't understand what was happening when I first saw this... I thought the string was defective or something then I actually read directions from the new strands and the old strands and found "Energy Saver" mentioned.

-Jeff

Edited by Jeffrey

Great way to start Dennis

The only thing a lot of guys will see is on the old strings the colors will be faded and you will not see a crisp color

Be carful when doimg this also the potential for a short is greater causing damage to you and property

Save your money and wait until after Chritmas (just) and you can pick up new strands real cheap. (i know bummer to wait)

You might ask on this forum if some have they would like to get donate or sell and even other forums.

Good Luck

Also you have to watch out for "Energy Saver" type bulbs. Lowes changed their lights a couple years back to these and those bulbs will act like a camera's flash bulb when you put them in the old non-Energy Saver strands. (and if you do vice versa then the bulb will be very dark)

Couldn't understand what was happening when I first saw this... I thought the string was defective or something then I actually read directions from the new strands and the old strands and found "Energy Saver" mentioned.

-Jeff

+1 on this. Been there done that.

• The topic was locked