Light-O-Rama Forums

Spiral Tree Does Anyone Make This ?

DearJoel

Thank you for giving this consideration. I am looking for a specific type of spiral tree.

It should be:

1) Storable. The spiral would collapse into a coil pancake for storage during the off season.

2) It would not be wire, more of a flat material, be it aluminum, steel, plastic, and about the width of an RGB strip.

3) It would hold a five meter strip of RGB pixel lights in the spiral. So if the collapsed spiral was rolled out straight, it would be, well, five meters long.

4) Able to have a light weight star attached to the top.

5) Able to be attached to the earth and not blow away in strong winds.

I look forward to your feedback.

jkd

I wouldn't think it possible because the weight of all ur components would damage ur RGB strips while in storage (RGB strips are very sensitive to twisting and compression)

I made a pixel strip spiral tree for my display last year, that I think is similiar to what you might be looking to do. I used a 6 foot spiral tree that came with incandecent mini lights on a plastic spiral track. I took off the string of lights, and zip-tied WS2811 pixel strips onto the outside edge of the plastic track. It used 9 meters of pixel strip.

The plastic star that came with the tree seemed small to me, and I wanted to use 12V lights so I could daisy chain from the pixel strip, so I used 5 WS2811 rectangle shape pixel modules, hot-glued to a star shape cut out of coroplast. I hot-glued a duplicate star over them, and attached it to the original star's mount. I may use a star from HolidayCoro this year though.

The coiled spiral tree collapses and stores in the original box, leaving the pixel strip attached. I used the tree's original support pole, over a piece of rebar, and used a couple of stakes with fishing line to help secure it., and it survived the 50+ mph winds we had Christmas Day.

post-7927-0-20440600-1358805965_thumb.jp

Why do the pixel strips have to spiral? If you are using pixels they just need to go straight up and down but you can still do spiral effects. This is exactly why I am dumping my spiral tree and going with a pixel tree this coming year.

Lights In Maine: yes I was thinking a small 6 ft tree

Ron: Thanks for the link. Great ideas here

Jim: You did something I would not think possible and that was to leave all the lights on. I was thinking I would have to take the lights off each year, but guess not.

Doug: A good thought. This will be my first year doing a synchrozided display. I was thinking a spiral tree would be good training so that when I do my mega tree in 2014 I would approach it like you suggest. BTW: I grew up in Cleveland, TN. CHS, class of '74

I made a pixel strip spiral tree for my display last year, that I think is similiar to what you might be looking to do. I used a 6 foot spiral tree that came with incandecent mini lights on a plastic spiral track. I took off the string of lights, and zip-tied WS2811 pixel strips onto the outside edge of the plastic track. It used 9 meters of pixel strip.

The plastic star that came with the tree seemed small to me, and I wanted to use 12V lights so I could daisy chain from the pixel strip, so I used 5 WS2811 rectangle shape pixel modules, hot-glued to a star shape cut out of coroplast. I hot-glued a duplicate star over them, and attached it to the original star's mount. I may use a star from HolidayCoro this year though.

The coiled spiral tree collapses and stores in the original box, leaving the pixel strip attached. I used the tree's original support pole, over a piece of rebar, and used a couple of stakes with fishing line to help secure it., and it survived the 50+ mph winds we had Christmas Day.

post-7927-0-20440600-1358805965_thumb.jp

You have 12v WS2811 pixels? I thought they were all 5v. Did you get them from Ray?

You have 12v WS2811 pixels? I thought they were all 5v. Did you get them from Ray?

Yes, you can get 12V WS2811 pixel strip from Ray. Just like a CCR strip - each "pixel" is three RGB LEDs

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_569667862.html

Great idea! I have 8 of these that I couldn't bare to get rid of, just no use in my animated display since it takes so much effort to add the 3 colors to them. Not to mention the zipties to make it look right. I'm going to try some flex tech strips on one. May use these at my mom's place.

I did get them from Ray. I used this strip and these rectangle modules. I was daisy chaining several elements from a J1Sys P2 controller, so I was just trying to keep everything the same voltage to make power injection less complicated.

Thank you for giving this consideration. I am looking for a specific type of spiral tree.

It should be:

1) Storable. The spiral would collapse into a coil pancake for storage during the off season.

2) It would not be wire, more of a flat material, be it aluminum, steel, plastic, and about the width of an RGB strip.

3) It would hold a five meter strip of RGB pixel lights in the spiral. So if the collapsed spiral was rolled out straight, it would be, well, five meters long.

4) Able to have a light weight star attached to the top.

5) Able to be attached to the earth and not blow away in strong winds.

I look forward to your feedback.

jkd

I built a spiral tree that will do as described above. The tree rings collapse onto itself and I store it in my shed. The pole is rigid conduit and the base is electrical conduit hanger support. I have pictures and a video of the spiral tree on my website. If someone can tell me how to upload the pics, I will share them here.

http://vimeo.com/55728139

http://hancockchristmas.com

Mitch