Light-O-Rama Forums

Where Have All The good Guys Gone

Guest Don Gillespie

On FB you can block anyone annoying and keep going. I love it.

You can ignore people on here as well and all their post disappear at the click of a button. It's just a few more steps on the new forum than on the old one.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TitusCarnathan

• Santas Helper

• TGabriel

• George Simmons

You can ignore people on here as well and all their post disappear at the click of a button. It's just a few more steps on the new forum than on the old one.

True

There's been a lot of good things mentioned here. We should maybe bookmark this thread and post it when newbies post their first post asking for something that 'seems' stupid to us or is of the gimme nature.

Maybe the moderators can spend the time directing the newbies with new questions to old posts and quit eyeing the veterans wearing their big boy pants. :)

Hey Tom, good to see you too ol' buddy! I don't post on the forums much any more. Facebook usually gets me any answers I need. Plus, FB already has my pics and they are easy to upload.

I think FB is a major reason the forums are so light. PC was hurt when LOR started their own forum. It didn't give most old timers a reason to stay. On FB you can block anyone annoying and keep going. I love it.

Michael I think your probably right. I guess its a matter of adapting to the latest technology.

But then again, purchasing a smart phone would probably be a good start for me :lol:

Lets get real for a minute. How many people have left because they couldn't call posts and posters stupid? Regardless of knowledge, is there any place for trolling? Some people are "natural-born trouble makers". And I find it amusing they gripe about how bad a forum is but they continue to monitor posts and comment about them on their "invitation only" forums started for the sole purpose of mocking members here and elsewhere.

Hello Dale, Sorry I didn't read this earlier. I am a lor user since 2009, joined the lor forums just a few years ago, and have been in most of the facebook groups for over a year.

You have correct information, but your reasoning is off. To begin, I feel like light-o-rama did what they had to do for their buisness forums. I love reading through the forums but almost never post, it is a great source of information still. I can't speak for every one of the 1,000+ people in the facebook groups, but I feel that drama is only created when a new user is arrogant or rude, which is exactly what the real world is like. You won't see me involved in the drama, but i am not saying it is right or wrong.

As for the "invitation only" status of several groups, it is completely to aviod drama and entitlement. If someone proves they care, has a good attitude, and wants to join; by all means, come on in!

The invitation only is not created to mock other groups, but exactly the oposite. Most of us have better things to do with our time than sit around "mocking" other groups or people.

I guess the only last thing I have to say is that I moved to the facebook groups because there was a lot of great help there, and it was easy to follow on my visits to facebook. The only thing I saw them even talk about in the last two+ weeks is this thread because of those accusations made here.

I really hope you understand the reasoning for many of us,

-Brandon H

Hmm maybe the newbies / kiddies dont get to post for the first 30 or so days? Only get to read all of the other post and a few tutor post like how to search via google. This will do two things. Learn how to search and read before asking a repeat question. How to call LOR and get support from them. Also will cut down on the 11th hour giveme or I am entitled to an answer that will fix my problem NOW.

I have a thought,at the end of the day this forum is for customer service and all members here are service reps. just imagine how many stupid questions smart phone companies get. how would you feel if you called a service rep over the phone and was called stupid. I guess the main differnce is that we are not getting paid,but still we have to cut newbies a little slack. I have no issues with anyone here and everyone has always been nice. or maybe I know how to take a joke

I have been a member here since 2006 and not one time has it bothered me that someone has asked the same question, I probably asked a question someone else had asked. Do you know how hard it would be to come up with an original question here, I would say pretty darn hard.

I agee Doug. I am a newbie who first tries to search for the answer, but may not have found the answer in my search. It should only be aggravating if you were required to provide a response. If you don't care to respond to the redundant question, keep on scrolling.

I have asked a few questions. Yes, I did search first. The main problem is the search engine. It's not just here though, other sites are the same. If you do a search for 'incan lights', you will get results for incan and lights as if you searched for 2 separate words. You'll also get results for INCANdescent. Sometimes for a newbie to sift through and find exactly what you're looking for is daunting, especially if you're new and don't know exactly what your looking for.

+1 Edited by gmac

Guest Don Gillespie

. I am a newbie who first tries to search for the answer, but may not have found the answer in my search. It should only be aggravating if you were required to provide a response. If you don't care to respond to the redundant question, keep on scrolling.

The aggravating part is when the newbies post they don't start with " I have searched high and low and can not find an answer to my question" they always start with gimmee this and gimme that, so what that does even if you don't want to post, makes you post, and some of the good guys would just tell it like it is and so the newbies then get on their high horse and complain that guy was rude to me, if you are going to constantly ask for the gimmees all the time you have to be prepared for the onslaught that follows. it has nothing to do with not responding it has everything to do with grow up and do your home work, and quit asking questions that require common sense, if you don't have common sense then this hobby is not for you, how many times have we talked about GFCI's people still don't get it, this is not something the average Joe should be tackling, you are working with electricity, people and small kids love to look at lights and some even like to touch the lights (small kids) if you do not have the common sense to use GFCI's then be prepared for a law suite, the real answer here is the good guys are leaving because they are tired of instilling common sense to people who have none.

The aggravating part is when the newbies post they don't start with " I have searched high and low and can not find an answer to my question" they always start with gimmee this and gimme that, so what that does even if you don't want to post, makes you post, and some of the good guys would just tell it like it is and so the newbies then get on their high horse and complain that guy was rude to me, if you are going to constantly ask for the gimmees all the time you have to be prepared for the onslaught that follows. it has nothing to do with not responding it has everything to do with grow up and do your home work, and quit asking questions that require common sense, if you don't have common sense then this hobby is not for you, how many times have we talked about GFCI's people still don't get it, this is not something the average Joe should be tackling, you are working with electricity, people and small kids love to look at lights and some even like to touch the lights (small kids) if you do not have the common sense to use GFCI's then be prepared for a law suite, the real answer here is the good guys are leaving because they are tired of instilling common sense to people who have none.

Maybe it's responses like this one that aleniate us newbies wanting to learn about this hobby, (I am thicked skinned so insults don't bother me). Everyone dosen't have the same skill sets as others some take longer to understand whats going on, that dosen't mean they don't have any common sense. I've been on many forums and the main idea seems to me to share ideas and information and ask questions and not be put down buy Belligerent Posts.

Guest Don Gillespie

Maybe it's responses like this one that aleniate us newbies wanting to learn about this hobby, (I am thicked skinned so insults don't bother me). Everyone dosen't have the same skill sets as others some take longer to understand whats going on, that dosen't mean they don't have any common sense. I've been on many forums and the main idea seems to me to share ideas and information and ask questions and not be put down buy Belligerent Posts.

See this is exactly what I am talking about some one who has no common sense, maybe you should go back to your other forums where you can continue to sound intelligent ( that is sarcasm) there was nothing belligerent about my post i simply talked about common sense, obviously some thing you don't have.

Hello Dale, Sorry I didn't read this earlier. I am a lor user since 2009, joined the lor forums just a few years ago, and have been in most of the facebook groups for over a year.

You have correct information, but your reasoning is off. To begin, I feel like light-o-rama did what they had to do for their buisness forums. I love reading through the forums but almost never post, it is a great source of information still. I can't speak for every one of the 1,000+ people in the facebook groups, but I feel that drama is only created when a new user is arrogant or rude, which is exactly what the real world is like. You won't see me involved in the drama, but i am not saying it is right or wrong.

As for the "invitation only" status of several groups, it is completely to aviod drama and entitlement. If someone proves they care, has a good attitude, and wants to join; by all means, come on in!

The invitation only is not created to mock other groups, but exactly the oposite. Most of us have better things to do with our time than sit around "mocking" other groups or people.

I guess the only last thing I have to say is that I moved to the facebook groups because there was a lot of great help there, and it was easy to follow on my visits to facebook. The only thing I saw them even talk about in the last two+ weeks is this thread because of those accusations made here.

I really hope you understand the reasoning for many of us,

-Brandon H

Example of a mocking post was seem on the LOR users group on Facebook recently detailing how to convert from Christmas to Halloween. If that were the only one, I could look over it. But it isn't. And it's not the only Facebook page or forum to do this. By my calculations, this has been happening since 2006 (at least).

If the reason that some of the "Good Guys" have left is because they got tired of newbie's asking the same question I wonder why they didn't just ignore the posts?

If is was such a simple question then there are plenty of moderately experience users that are willing to answer it.

Posting negative or belligerent comments aren't going to make the newbie "see the light", nor does posting a link to the instruction manual.

Just my two cents.

Scott

to be erased...

Edited by miaskiewicz christian

Hello,

I discovered Richard HOLDMAN and his amazing grace house and then Kevin and his amazing pumpkins singing "boom boom pow" back in 2009. I very soon discovered what they had in common : lightorama and that's what brought me here. I read a lot of posts, asked a few questions and received answers. Then I tried to build my 1st synchronized display with 32 channels and a Singing character for Christmas 2010. In 2011 I got the chance to be in an important show on French TV. In 2012 many people have made their 1st show in France after asking me advice... Now they are able to teach others...

So I think that the important thing is not who is still here but that someone who has spread the word was there at one moment and then someone else and so on...

Everyone learns from someone and then teach to someone else.

There will always be someone to spread the word and I think it's the important thing.

Have a nice day,

Edited by miaskiewicz christian

So Dale W, are you saying that the FB LOR users group is just a bunch of people that want to mock the post from here??

That the LOR forum is the laughing stock on all the other forums? Or did I just miss the whole point of your last post?? Not trying to be rude, just really did not understand your point. If you do not like what they say on the other forums, why do you go to them?