Light-O-Rama Forums

Icicle reliability

bobschm

Again this year, a windy storm blew through and slapped my roofline icicles around like they welched on a bookie. :wacko: My roof looked like a locked-out hockey player. Are "professional" lights more robust to trauma? I'm also thinking of tying all the dangling ends together with monofilament so no one hanger can whip around..kind of make net lights out of them. Any thoughts?

Are they blowing up on top of the roof? Are they incan or LED? Incans seem particularly prown to "trauma damage"

I don't know if this will help your situation any, but here's what I do. I don't mount any lights to the gutters. I did that my first year and had rusting issues. I screwed in eye hooks and run painted 1/2" metal conduit under the gutters This gives them some protection from water and ice, don't know if this will help with wind issues. I have issues with wind with my artificial trees in the yard not icicles.

I use the "GE Pro-Line commercial grade " icicle lights. They seem to be made better and you can string up to 6 sets end to end. I've seen weights sold for icicle lights ( look like small fishing sinkers), but never tried them .