Light-O-Rama Forums

Is this possible? Ideas?

thevikester

Show computer in garage, along with FM transmitter, stereo receiver, etc...on the other end of the house, is my projector, showing my virtual santa. Santa sometimes speaks in the video, but of course we can't hear him because the show is going,

On occassion, I would like to have his voice come thru the speakers/fm transmitter, and be part of the show. The projector uses RCA cables, so isn't likely there are 150 ft RCA cables out there that I could run out the garage door, along the front of the house and into the window to plug into the projector. (i.e.) taking excerpts from the video, and making a sequence around that so I can use his voice.

This is where I would request the ingenuity of the peeps here on the forum...suggetions, aside from moving my entire base camp into that room..which is a guest bedroom, my wife is lenient, but she ain't having that!

For some reason this comes to mind

http://www.svideo.com/500027.html

Im sure there are A/V guys and gals in here with other suggestions, but getting the audio there and input into the Mic jack on the PC to allow playthorugh to your FM transmitter sounds like a work through.

My quick suggestions...

Split the audio at the PC and run audio to both the transmitter and the outdoor speakers.

A. Have the speakers on their own LOR channel (like PC speakers) and have the LOR channels come on right before you need audio.

B. If the speakers do not turn on fast enough to do this. Have the speakers come on just for the night, but have a Relay in the audio line connected to a LOR channel. Speakers are always on, when you want audio, flip the LOR channel on in the sequence and your speakers will have auido input.

However you accomplish it, I like the idea.

Get a splitter! $3.98 at radio shack!

I have many of them. Because I can never find it come show time and I have to go buy another.

For the Halloween show I have audio through my speakers and the FM transmitter.

I have to take a step back, its the earphones going OUT to the FM transmitter, not the MIC jack. Some wise soul on this forum told me to NOT split my audio out to the FM transmitter and the receiver... but to set my receiver to my FM frequency, and broadcast over the speakers. I have seen that in print several times. You think better to accomplish my goal not to do this?

Get a splitter! $3.98 at radio shack!

I have many of them. Because I can never find it come show time and I have to go buy another.

For the Halloween show I have audio through my speakers and the FM transmitter.

I too have sound thru the speakers and the FM transmitter...at ALL times, this is my dilemma I guess...

its not one or the other.

I have always split my audio at the computer.(the speaker port, on mine it is light green, not the line out) One line to the FM transmitter and one line to my desktop speakers.

I lock the PC volume at 50% and hide the volume controls so no one can change it accidentally.

Been doing it that way for a while. I have never had any problems.

But maybe someone else can chime in.

Thats the way I had done it until this year. When I got my EDM transmitter, it wasn't working well, so I quit splitting the sound out, and it helped somewhat, based on some input I received.

I split my computer audio, and had never had any issues. I know that some guys dont split, and tune their receivers to the transmitter frequency, they use this as a way to "check/verify" their transmitter is working each night. Between running the kids somewhere or the radio we have in the kitched, this is never an issue for me.

Plus, my FM receiver/amplifier that runs my outdoor speakers is in the basement next to the show computer, and i do not have an external antenna on the receiver, so i dont get the best reception down there for even my own station. :(