Light-O-Rama Forums

how to video about making Linear RGB Wall Washers

digitalfreeloaders

Check out our new how to video about making Linear RGB Wall Washers. See it on youtube at this link

We made them 6ft and 12ft for less than $30 each. The 12ft one was daisy chained to the first so it did not need the DMX controller and the price was under $30 but even with the controller it would have been less than $40. Printable instructions at www.mrtoomanychristmasdecorationsguy.com hope you like it and happy DIY projects to you.

For 2011 & 2012 seasons I used 60 LED/m flexible strip as a wallwasher controlled by a LOR DC board. http://www.aliexpres..._642112708.html

I simply attached the strip under my eaves facing towards the wall.

I was very happy with the result and now believe that even 30 LED/m strip would also be effective.

see:-

Edited by Geoff Harvey
  • Like 1

WOW, AMAZING! We are small potatoes compared to you and new to the RGB DMX stuff. This was our first year with this type of lights. We chose to purchase the modules because we saw the shop light floods on the forum and youtube and that was the type of light we saw in the video, should have done a little more research thanks for the link great price and looks like a great result. We where disappointed with the shop light floods coverage and was worried about them being stolen so we decided to do this instead and wanted to share our idea in case others might have the modules and want to try it. If you don't have an eave to attach the strip to this could be helpful, another good point is you can adjust the washer to get the best coverage. Although looks like you got great coverage. Love your light show, truly beautiful we dream of putting on a light show as spectacular as yours!! Thanks for posting the video and the information.

WOW, AMAZING! We are small potatoes compared to you and new to the RGB DMX stuff.

If you don't have an eave to attach the strip to this could be helpful, another good point is you can adjust the washer to get the best coverage. Although looks like you got great coverage. Love your light show, truly beautiful we dream of putting on a light show as spectacular as yours!! Thanks for posting the video and the information.

No DMX in my display - I chose not to go down the high channel count pixel route. Apart from some CCRs on the top roofline, all the other RGB strip including the wall washers, is "dumb" strip controlled by standard LOR DC controllers.

For many of my outlines and washers, I could zip tie the strip to the eaves timbers. Where this was not possible, I used some 1.5" square timber and zip tied the flexible strip to that, then screwed this timber under the eaves. An advantage of using the 5 m strips is that they can be cut to suit the lengths required. I used several 5m lengths complete, but cut 2 or 3 in one place to suit my needs. As these strips had supply wires each end, there was no need to solder additional wires at the cut sections.

All good information and ideas, thanks. Since we are disabled and therefore fiscally challenged with only social security as an income, we must do things the cheapest way possible or not at all. This was the best way for us to go and just wanted to share our idea in case others may also need an affordable way to go. And like I mentioned we had already purchased the modules for the shop light flood version and needed a way to convert them and still achieve the look we wanted, It worked for us. We saw the metal strips at a rehab store for only $1 each and figured they would work great and they did, probably could not have gotten the wood for that price. Thanks again for the suggestions, that's what we love about this forum free exchange of ideas and people that love LOR and holiday decorating as much as we do, even if we can't really afford it we find a way! :)

Holiday Coro has a kit i believe it was like 50.00 per wall washer after buying the light housing. I have 12 and i love them. Adds a great addition to a light show.

Holidaycoro.com