Light-O-Rama Forums

minilight dims

cobra513

At the risk of sounding stupid is there different voltage minibulbs, all the replacements I see in the stores are generally the same voltage. The reason I ask is I had an issue withe a few lights in strands that I used. I keep all the bulbs from strands when the wiring becomes unusable for one reason or another and when I went to use these in certain other strands sometimes the bulb would barely light no matter where in the strand I put it, I also tried at least a dozen of my spares with the same effect. What's up Thanks

Yep, there are different voltage bulbs, anywhere from 2.5 to (I think) 6V. Others will correct if I'm wrong.

I don't know if they have them out any more, but my local Wal Mart was selling 2.5v, 3.5v, and another voltage (might have been the 6v mentioned above) replacements for this past season. I needed some for an indoor Xmas tree that is pre-lit. So, I didn't want to re-string it. I bought a few packs of each voltage, as I wasn't sure which ones would work. For me, it turns out I needed the 2.5v ones. Worked great.

Strings of 50 or 100 are 2.5 volt bulbs. Strings of 35 or 70 are usually 3.5 volt bulbs. Strings of 20 are usually 6.25volts, and you can sometimes find strings of 10 12.5 volt bulbs.

But even within a voltage group, the designed current comes into play. For example, a bulb from a 0.3 amp Walmart string of 100 will be really dim in a Target low power string, because all bulbs are supposed to be designed for the same current. The lower current in the energy saver string won't heat the heavier fillament enough, resulting in low voltage on that one bulb, (double whammy on light output) and the rest of the string running higher voltage and output than designed.

Ok then is there anyway to distinguish what voltage a bulb may be if it's not on a string or in a package?

That's what I figured but thought I would ask anyway. Was hoping I wouldn't have to go through 100+ bulbs to find the right one. Guess I should have stopped and thought before removing bulbs from old unusable strings, lesson learned lol.

Most of mine have the bases but I was pulling them off to put them in other bases if they didn't fit and I had a 300 light plastic spiral tree that was all clear that we switched to multi color no problems there but I now have 300 bulbs without bases that when I try one in another string it is usually dim, on top of that these were mixed in with some other clear bulbs. Like I said lesson learned thanks for the help though.