Light-O-Rama Forums

Does garland hold up?

LORi P

I have several stick trees. This year I am hoping to design some ones that will be more sturdy and that will store easier. I am thinking of putting white garland on the branches.

Has anyone used white 'indoor' garland outside for something like this? How does it hold up in the weather?

In my experience it doesn't hold up well at all. It starts getting dirty and dingy looking after just one season.

I've also found that using any type or color of garland requires that you basically double the amount of lights you need to use to achieve the same lighted effect or brightness as not having garland at all, and for those reasons have totally discontinued it's use. YMMV.

I can't speak to white, but I have had good luck with green. The red we use does OK, but fades visibly over a couple of years. But all of it seems intent on filtering all the dust and dirt out of the air, and saving it for next year.

White garland turns yellow/brown due to UV in my experience.

You have UV in your experience?? Better see a doctor about that .

Edited by shfr26

I've used the same green garland from Walmart on our house(outside) for the past 5 years. The only time I replace a section is when I break it into too small of pieces during tear down.

Wish I saw this post before buying 2000 feet or so of white garland.

I was planning on wrapping my wire frame deer with it. Doh!

Oh well, 50 cents for 18 ft pieces, I will give it a shot anyway.