Light-O-Rama Forums

making a true chase effect

Guest guest

First..I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum...sorry in advance if its incorrect.

This year I had a line of 34 toy soldier blowlolds lining my property and for certain portions of the light sequences, I wanted them to appear to be chasing (left to right and back). I only dedicated two channels to it this year (only had 8 total lor). The best effect I got was sort of like a wig wag. They were basically wired like this:

1-A, 2-B, 3-A, 4-B, ETC.

As I start working on my 2006 sequences I want to "fix" the problem. I can use up to 4 channels next year.

Any tips?

Hi Rod,

I think you will want at least 4 channels. I put four channels of lights around my roof line so that I could do chase effects: 1White, 2Red, 3White, 4Green (in that order) ... and it worked great.

I'm considering placing mini3dtrees around my yard next year. And think 8 would allow much more interesting chase effects, the problem is that it will take 2x as much wire, and I'm not sure I want to do that.

But, rest assured, you will get very nice chase effects with 4.

Good luck,

T

It takes 3 channels minimum to "chase"... 4 channels (or more) is better as it gives the chase more definition.
There are a number of ways to do a chase also... all off with one "on" state moving from one channel to the next... or all on with one off moving from one channel to the next, or with 4 channels you can do 2 on, 2 off moving one channel at a time... etc.

Hope that helps!:smile:

Say I was using 4 channels for the chase........

when making a musical sequence with LOR, would you suggest 1/10 event insertion as a base for the chase? or would 1/10 be too quick.

If you REALLY want it to be cool (and want to spend $$$'s) put each on its own channel. That's what we do with our mini-trees. It gives you much more control over what you can make them do. You can still do a standard 3 or 4-channel chase, but you can have one "scoot" across the yard, have one going with a second chasing it, have one go from each end and meet in the middle, etc...

-Tim

oh man Tim..now that would be real cool!

I wish I can do something like that. For now I will set up the sequences based on a 4 channel set-up.

Rod

PS: I do have 24 channels on my list for the Spring:}

tfischer wrote:

If you REALLY want it to be cool (and want to spend $$$'s) put each on its own channel. That's what we do with our mini-trees. It gives you much more control over what you can make them do. You can still do a standard 3 or 4-channel chase, but you can have one "scoot" across the yard, have one going with a second chasing it, have one go from each end and meet in the middle, etc...

-Tim

I bought 3 sets of (9) 2 ft lit trees at Target on clearance for just this purpose next year. I am planning on mounting them on plywood, placing them on the roof with each having it's own channel and I should be able to create some realy neat chase scenes.
BTW my wife think I am a loon.

Bill

• 2 months later...

After gathering all my things for LOR, Mini trees, and FM transmitting and light sequencing. Then putting this together and trashing out the house with "Christmas Stuff" well after the holiday is over. Then there is the countless hours glued to the computer.........I finally broke down and asked the wife if I had turned into a "geek". Nicely she says no......(but not a loud no)...to my surprise. What normal person would think about Christmas lights in March? Why do we do this? Because it's fun and for me it's a personal qwest. I have always enjoyed Christmas lights growing up. The more elaberate the more I liked and remembered. It was the part of Christmas that really stood out....going to look at the lights. To get an opportunity to install and program light sequences all to music...then pipe it through an FM transmitter for those to enjoy doesn't make me or anyone else a "geek". A passion ....yes.....Obsession?........?????? :)