Light-O-Rama Forums

Odd vehicle - any others?

Darrell

We have wineries nearby... so a bus full of (assuming intoxicated "wine enthusiasts") people enjoying the show.. they stayed the entire 50 minutes.

The pizza delivery guy came to my house twice... when they asked for cross streets.. I told them the house with animated lights.

However the best was the car load of "Happy Hour / Christmas party 40+ year-old women" They seemed to be in a very good mood, and they were BUMPING their stereo to the max... and "Wooooooo"ing constantly. They were a lot of fun!

Edited by Crazydave

I have a group home nearby that brings a van load of elderly people every weekend. There are a lot of groups that rent party buses and tour our neighborhood and always come buy to watch the show. One of my neighbors has an old Fire Truck that he rents to groups to tour the Christmas light every year. On the weekends he will bring 4 to 5 groups on a weekend nights.

Well this year we had a couple of Church groups, a Sheriffs Deputy and a about 20 Bikers who stop to watch a while..

The Schwan's truck.

I had the Schwan's guy and his helper watching my display already

Edited by TitusCarnathan

Well , I had a good one. Had an Amish family in their horse drawn buggy stop by. I don't have speakers out so I guess they just wanted to watch the lights blink . :D

There is a limo company in town that does Christmas light tours... Our house is on a small residential street and a few days before the show launches super stretch hummer limos along with a super Lincoln stretch limo start practicing making the corner at the end of the street to get back to the main road. This year they had a newer driver that had to hit the curb at least 5 times before he could squeak one of them around the corners. The owner of the company works well with us on not blocking our neighbors driveways with the limo's.

We had 4 or 5 limo's, 2 of which couldn't navagate through the Cal-De-Sac with out backing of 4 or 5 times,and one filled with a bunch of drink girls that came out and shared their christmas cheer,lol. I think 8 tour buses,one filled with kids, the others with senior citizens, The town's firetruck, a flatbed truck with 2 cars on it decorated with lights!

We had two London Buses this year and a limo service that made us the last stop on the Christmas light tour. Quite entertaining to say the least...

Edited by John Slade

Ambulance. The same guy must have come by yesterday during take down and gave four long blasts on the air horn causing my wife to come running!

Just about like everybody else. The deputies stop by every once in a while. We have a guy with a carraige that takes people around our neighborhood that is part of his regular stop. The Church vans always come by. Had two pickups with flatbed trailers full of carrolers. We have a radio outside and the football field for the high school is across the street so I have really good parking.

My wife told me the Power Company had a truck in the area, and he stopped by for 2 songs, she said it was the big truck...wish she would have taken a picture, that would make for a cool Christmas card!

My wife told me the Power Company had a truck in the area, and he stopped by for 2 songs, she said it was the big truck...wish she would have taken a picture, that would make for a cool Christmas card!

Where they there to find out why the backup power station had to be brought online?

each year I see things that just make me step back in awe. And it's not because of my lights it's because of the people that come to see the lights. I was kind of upset because this year I was only able to play Santa once. I usually get to do it three or four times a season. Anyway the greatest thing was, the night I played Santa this year we easily had over 1500 people here. Not all at one time, but within a 2 1/2 hour span. And for my little house and little street I live on it was crazy. Turned out to be one of the most fantastic nights I've ever had. Even better no complaints from the neighbors. I had two other really special things happen this season. One of them was on a night I was not here I was working. There was a school bus that came to my house filled to the brim with .... Middle-aged women. About 60 of them. They got out of their bus came to the door and rang the doorbell. My wife answered the door, and the women broke out into caroling for her.... My wife was so taken back. One representative from the group came up and thanked my wife for doing such a great job. She explained to my wife that this group of women get together every month and during the holiday season they rent a bus and go all around New Jersey and they hand out bottles of champagne to their favorite homes. They call themselves the bus broads. I couldn't make this up. They actually have champagne bottles they give out to the homes they choose, with stickers they had made up that say and I quote the bus brought love your bulbs. Gotto love it.

And lastly, this year I received an e-mail from a gentleman who said for the last seven or eight years his family has been coming here and watching the lights. Long story short this year when his family came, he stood underneath my Christmas on Manhattan arch which has a mistletoe underneath it and as his family were taking pictures of him and his girlfriend underneath the mistletoe, he pulled out a ring and asked his girlfriend the marry him. Right in my yard. Again another night I was out working, but his family sent me a photo and he sent me a thank you letter for what my family and I do every year. Just makes my heart feel good.

With this being my first year, it was a learning experience. The display looked good, but wasn't breathtaking. So I saw people stop, but leave after a minute or two. One other challenge I faced, and learned a valuable lesson for next year, was parking and orienting my display. I live on a rural road, with no shoulder. So it's not like a typical suburban community where you can stop in front of a house. I saw plenty of people slow down or stop on the road...traffic is light, so you can often stop for a mintue or two with no trouble. I put up parking signs and sectioned off a part of my lawn for cars to come and park on my property. However, my display was oriented towards the road, not the parking area. Once I realized the issue, it was too late to make changes. So when they parked in my yard, they could see the display, but it was from an side view. That and my yard got pretty chewed up...we had a lot of rain and the ground got soft. A few people obviously nearly got stuck, as there are deep ruts and tracks everywhere. For 2013, I think I'm going to change the orientation so that it faces the designated parking area. That way people who actually stop will have a perfect view, but you'll still be able to tell from the road that there's a show. I have no clue how I'm going to solve the messy lawn situation yet....

But one of my other obsessions...uh hobbies...is cars. I've been a car freak since I was a toddler. I've owned countless cars, been in many car clubs, love to race, etc... I'm hoping that if I can solve the messy parking situation I might be able to put on a car show at the house, with the lights going.

Edited by Klayfish

There is a group of runners in West Seattle and every year they do a "run" on Christmas Eve to see some of the lights in the area...this year their run ended at our light display.

http://westseattleblog.com/2012/12/west-seattle-sunday-whats-happening-christmas-eve-eve

CHRISTMAS LIGHT RUN: West Seattle Runner (WSB sponsor) organizes this annual event:

Our Christmas light run is Sunday night at 6. We are doing about 3 miles, give or take, at a slow pace, and checking out some of the better light neighborhoods around the store, finishing at the Helmstetler house. Dress up, light up, bring a can of food to donate to the West Seattle Food Bank, and enjoy a fun run with other West Seattleittes!

Plus the usual big limos and the big bus from the old folks home up the street...they usually stop in the middle of the street blocking everyone elses view...they finally move after hearing all the honking!! LOL
Edited by jimswinder

Oddest vehicle must be the snow plows. They come down, turn around in the cul-de-sac and then sit for awhile watching the show. If it snows we always have the clearest streets. Had another stop by at midnight on New Year's Eve to watch the fireworks show and then the special NYE light show (didn't even snow).

Beyond that we get limos of every size, retirement home buses and school buses.

• The topic was locked