Light-O-Rama Forums

What did you learn in 2012?

columbus27

I learned

• reading the manual and watching LOR instructable videos minimized my dumb questions
  • a background effect of 15% isn't really noticeable
  • using a background effect with single color mini trees doesn't look as good as it does in the animation screen
  • set a date on stop sequencing and stick with it, this made the holiday season a lot lest stressful this year
  • I inherited Rob LaRe's (Picktown Lights) houses. So this was the first year on doing a true multi house display. 8 ch is more than enough for a neighbor house, people will not use all the plugs, so pick a beat and program it for 8 ch without fads
  • Use outside rated GFCI's for outside

• Read the updated in the new manual
  • learn DMX
  • Start the incandescent to LED transfer
  • add more strobes and lights

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scubado

• jimswinder

• columbus27

• plasmadrive

I learned:

1. 15% on LEDs is a good background shimmer, but not on incans
  2. LOR service is what everyone says it is.. awesome.
  3. Because my display is so wide and there is only so far away people can get, it is hard for them to see things that happen too fast at either end. Need to create more mirror images or more localized programming event as opposed so much different at both end at the same time. (big one)
  4. I need to slow down a lot of the transitions. This made it more enjoyable to watch even though I still have the fast flashing things...
  5. I never have enough SPT1 cord.
  6. Instructions??? what instuctions??? There's instructions??? :o
  7. When you have a limited amount of road space, shorten the show to about 3-4 songs so the hang time goes down. Next year Fridays and Saturdays will be 3-4 songs.. 6-7 the rest of the week.
  8. Share your surplus with others that are staring out. I don't have unlimited storage space so much is going away if I haven't used it or have replaced it.
  9. I spend way too much time on the LOR forums! :P

I learned that we cannot predict the end of the world...

again.. :wacko:

Edited by jimswinder

Guest wbottomley

I learned in 2012...

The plug and play crowd continues to flock in droves here.

Answer 1 in 20 questions because those are the most difficult ones.

Offering free sequences to the general public helps them get a start.

Not to enter contests again. Begging for votes is not my forte.

I forgot the rest.

Edited by wbottomley

I learned: don't take on small remodelling jobs, It becomes a major remodel and then cuts into sequencing time. Especially when you hang out on the forum a lot. It was a fun year anyhow.

Trust your gut feelings more. I would have saved a lot of time and hassle if I would have gotten my way in the remodel in the first place. Women, they can drive you crazy!

1. have more of the outline of the house on so not so blinkyflashy.

2. buy more lights, more controllers

3. learn the RGB more

4. shorten the time delay down between songs

5. relize that not everybody likes every song

6. help others as other have helped me learn the ways of the force.

1.) The big thing I learned this year was to take extra precautions for waterproofing, even though the controller box is said to be water resistant. Unless it's sealed, water can still get in.

2.) I learned a bunch in how to use the Superstar software along with a bunch of SE shortcuts to make sequencing easier. Some shortcuts were by mistake and some were what the folks here posted.

3.) Once you start planning, and you say "I'm Done", don't keep adding stuff to your display and then have to go back and add it to finished sequences.

4.) Start sequencing as soon as possible and build props as time allows. Don't get to crunch time and have something come up at work that will seriously jeopardize getting the show up and running on time. Have it done when set-up time comes.

5) Be nice to new people coming in to the Hobby. I just finished my 2nd year and I still have a lot....a lot to learn. That does not mean I need to be sarcastic and down right mean to a dumb question. We all have dumb questions at some point in time. I don't have anywhere the expertise as most of the people on here, but I like to help if I can. I received a ton of help when I started, so I like to give something back. If I have nothing to add that will help, I don't post. If I know a little bit about something, I usually ask for someone else to chime in and pick up where I don't have the knowledge to offer assistance.This is an awesome hobby and there's a wealth of knowledge. Sometimes it's a bit overwhelming, but I try to learn when I can.

Happy 2013 to everyone and may your lights blink fun this coming season.

Ron

Edited by Ron Boyd

I learned that we cannot predict the end of the world...

again.. :wacko:

Jim, it ended, but no told you, cause we expected your tree to fall on 12/21 :lol:

Tom Straub

My take aways from this year:

1) The general populace does not have enough attention span to stay entertained by a full song. Anything over three minutes or so and the trend was to drive away.

2) The general populace does not like slow songs. If it is isn't a rock and roll concert, they tend to move along.

3) People no longer have situational awareness and/or common courtesy for others. Several times people would pull up in front of others blocking their view and not have even a care about doing so.

4) A majority of the folks watching my display would drive off when we stepped outside. I spent all year working on the display for me to lure you into stopping in front of my house so that I could come out and scare you off.

5) According to one enlightened visitor we had, smoking weed during the show enhances the experience. Yeah, he was promptly asked to leave!

6) People are strange! But that I already knew.

7) A good plan that is followed makes the season go smoothly. Avoiding the temptation of "changing horses" in the middle of the river pays off in fewer last minute headaches.

8) Video cameras are a great tool for catching vandals!

9) Build it strong and you will build it once; mother nature likes breaking flimsy elements!

10) Have enough music that you can rotate songs and keep the content fresh for repeat visitors.

11) Inflatables are more trouble than they are worth.

12) Just when you think you have something figured out, you discover how much you really have to learn.

13) Less said is better said when it comes to explaining the control system & software to others.

14) When show season comes along, take time to enjoy your efforts.

15) Every bit of time put into the display is worth the first smile on a child's face!

I learned that:

1. Alot of people on here know WAY more than me.

2. I can read here and learn alot

3. That a sequenced song is WAY cooler than blinking strands by colors.

4. I need more channels.....

5. I don't know alot about pixels and CCR but want to.

6. A small problem that I see from the street almost no one else can see.

7. keeping it simple is often better looking.

8. I love it...........

I learned that:

6. A small problem that I see from the street almost no one else can see.

7. keeping it simple is often better looking.

Ditto, ditto

This year I experimented with some more complex chases and multi colour tree rotations - They never looked as good as the simple effects.

I learned that sometimes you just got to bite the bullet and get those extra GFCI outlets, after tripping the circuits for the umpteenth time I bit the bullet and had an electrician put in a larger power panel and additional outlets. Only had a couple of GFCI trips during Christmas but they were all weather related.

well i definately learned alot of valuable lessons this year. and have to agree with several that have already been listed.

1. many, many, many people on the forums know alot more than me and i can't thank them enough. you may not have answered a question i asked, but with looking, the question got answered before it came out of my mouth.

2. i need atleast 2 more controllers and 2 more ell units.

3. a parking pad for visitors has paid for itself many times over.

4. i love being able to answer all the questions everyone has.

5. many folks really appreciated when i came out and said hello and thanked them for coming to see my house.

6. having extra songs is very helpful because many people come back for multiple visits and mixing it up makes the show new everytime.

7. the question of "how long does it take you to set this all up." never gets old.

8. i still don't have enough outlets around my yard for my imagination.

9. if you can spread out then the average visitor sees something different in each song.

10. you can't start early enough.

11. never, never, ever try to do your house and another set-up for someone else (i.e. city christmas walk) at the same time. it amazing how many problems come up that make you loose brain cells as well as sleep over. its amazing how much faster the clocks run from the time you open the first crate till you see the first car in the driveway.

12. as many things as go on most houses, simple effects work better than trying to do everything at once.

13. even if you think its boring the person that didn't do all the work will think its great.

14. when several guys ask how do you do that and how can i do that its really nice to be able to act like you know what your doing. pay it forward. your really smarter than you think you are.

15. if you can get the wife and kids to come out and say hello you'd be amazed how your wife all the sudden understands why you;ve spent more time with the lights and the computer than her recently.

16. all the blood, sweat, tears, and sleepless nights are all worth it when you get to hear the first child say "wow"

17. being the house that everyone wants to stop and see is a really cool feeling.

well here to a wonderful 2013 with alot more problems and smiles to look forward to.

oh i forgot one more. its amazing that you put in a 40 x 50 parking pad and people still don't know how to turn around without ending up in your yard.

Edited by kelly jett

My take aways from this year:

1) The general populace does not have enough attention span to stay entertained by a full song. Anything over three minutes or so and the trend was to drive away.

**I would disagree with that, for my shows anyway...ALL my songs are the full length...many over 4 minutes...and not only do they stay thru that one but usually stay thru the entire 1/2 hour show..and even into the next show as I don't repeat a song for over 2 hours...**

2) The general populace does not like slow songs. If it is isn't a rock and roll concert, they tend to move along.

**I certainly don't put two slow songs back to back...**

15) Every bit of time put into the display is worth the first smile on a child's face!

**yes it is...**

i learned i need to watch my son in the yard better,he ran through it and tripped on cat 5 and broke a com port.luckily i put it at the end of the run and all ran ok

**I would disagree with that, for my shows anyway...ALL my songs are the full length...many over 4 minutes...and not only do they stay thru that one but usually stay thru the entire 1/2 hour show..and even into the next show as I don't repeat a song for over 2 hours...**

This year was our first at doing a synced display, so we really didn't have any expectations to speak of nor did we know how folks would respond. Since we had no history with "our crowd", we had a mix of different songs that we put into the shows. Some were quite short and there were some 4 min plus songs in the mix as well. The three minute or so mark was the limit of their willingness to watch for some reason. At least that was the trend we observed for our show. And it was a huge surprise for me!

My best guess is the pace of life around here. Everyone is seemingly always in a hurry, stressed and I guess that mentality is a hard habit to break.

**I certainly don't put two slow songs back to back...**

Neither do I. What a beat down that would be from a spectator's point of view! At a minimum we would have two upbeat songs followed by a slower song followed up with a couple of more fast paced songs. "Our crowd" tended to take off when a slower song would cue up, and even at the beginning of a show.

Traditions of Christmas by Mannheim Steamroller was our crowd killer; no matter where we stuck it in, folks would drive away when it cued up and started playing. We have some very nice effects in that sequence, so it was a shame that many didn't stay to see. Silent Night was another that moved them along.

This was just the trend we observed this year at our display. I don't know, maybe my sequencing just stinks! :P Or maybe I need to add 10,000 channels and 800,000 more lights. ;)

No matter, 2012 has been a successful season for us. The purpose of making the lights blink is not to gather the largest crowd possible; it is to give folks something different to experience during the holidays. The youngsters loved it, so what more needs to be said? We are happy with the whole experience and planning is already underway for a hopefully bigger & better 2013.