Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB solderless connectors

RaceMedic

They dont make them for the 3 wire 2811 setup yet, and it seems in good reason. I soldered every connection, well over 1500 solders in total on the ribbons not including the 2 E681's I purchased, and 1 I bought fully assembled, thanks again. I have had 0 issues with corrosion on the strips, water ingestion.

We had a bunch of problems with them this year. We were constantly climbing on a ladder to pinch the connector because we were missing a channel. We are going to spend this year learning to soldier.

Tried them and had problems with one channel or another not working.

I soldered everything and used hot glue for sealing them.

After solding over 1000 connections, I need to pay someone else to do it. Ive had no failures based on my connections, but 2 months later am still sore from it all.

• Like 1

There is that old saying about no free meal. One has to weigh the good and the bad about all connectors. Connectors are a failure waiting to happen. Yet there are times that even with that know, the benefits out weigh the disadvantage of failure. One of the things to weigh is, will this connection be in an environment that will cause the connection to degrade, such as outside in the hot and cold, high moisture with air borne dirt and debris.

Tried them and had problems with one channel or another not working.

I soldered everything and used hot glue for sealing them.

I hope you are not going to be too disappointed when the hot glue fails on the connections!

I have been running outdoor testing on several types of sealants since last March to see what will hold up and what does not on RGB connections. Sadly the hot glue was the first one to fail. It started to peel away from the connection after only a couple of months outside.

So far the best is netural silicone sealant for the conections. It is still holding strong with no peeling, leakage, or degradation of any form yet through sun, wind, rain, and now snow.

I also find that the "manufatcturers recommendations" on the dielectric for hot glue is very over rated. Seems that the hot melt does not meet their specs by quite a long ways when subjected to an actual Hi-Pot test, so the potential for shocks are greater than what would be usually expected.

Of course you can not find any manufactuerer who will certify or give out any recommendation for use of hot melt for any form of electrical connection unless it is done in a controlled environment application under controlled conditions.

Just thought you would like to know.

Bill