Light-O-Rama Forums

A Specific Question For LOR Software Developers

Guest Guest

Sorry I over looked this question. Here is the LOR help text on compressed sequences:

The layout of a Light-O-Rama sequence file is somewhat verbose. This is intended to make it easier for third party tools which use LOR sequence files to be created. However, it has a drawback: Large sequences may be fairly slow to load. When loading a large sequence in the Sequence Editor, this may be an inconvenience. But the real problem is when loading a large sequence in the Show Player: It may take several seconds, during which time your show is effectively paused.

To resolve this issue, Light-O-Rama now supports the concept of a "compressed sequence". A compressed sequence is a separate save file, associated with a sequence but containing only enough information to play the sequence in the Show Player, and optimized for loading speed. This can speed up loading times dramatically - for example, for a certain large sequence that takes eight seconds to load on a certain computer, the associated compressed sequence only takes a small fraction of a second to load on that same computer.

Light-O-Rama will automatically create compressed sequences whenever appropriate, and the Show Player will automatically use them instead of the associated sequence file whenever they are present. So, you should not have to take any steps in order to start taking advantage of this feature. You can, however, prevent the Show Player from using compressed sequences (for example, if something unexpected goes wrong with them), in which case it will simply use the sequences instead. This can be controlled through the LOR Control Panel's "Use Compressed Sequences" option.

Not all sequences can have compressed sequences associated with them; if a sequence contains loops, or if it contains two or more tracks that have different time lengths than each other, it cannot have a compressed sequence. There are no other restrictions on what sequences can have compressed sequences. So, since musical sequences also cannot have loops or tracks of different lengths, note that this means in particular that all musical sequences can have compressed sequences.

Assuming that a compressed sequence can be associated with a sequence, then the Sequence Editor will automatically save a compressed sequence whenever it saves a sequence.

Assuming that you do not turn "Use Compressed Sequences" off, the way that the Show Player handles sequences and compressed sequences is this:

When your show calls for a certain sequence to be loaded, the Show Player will first check to see if there is a compressed sequence associated with that sequence. If so, and if the compressed sequence is more recent than the sequence, it will load the compressed sequence instead of the sequence.

Otherwise, it will load the sequence. After loading the sequence, it will check whether or not a compressed sequence can be made for it, and, if so, it will create the compressed sequence. This is so that in future runs of the show, it can simply use the compressed sequence instead of the sequence.

To sum all that up, LOR will create and use a compressed sequence as long as you haven't disabled it in the tray icons menu. This is what was taking place in the first video with the long pause between songs. Since it was the first time I ran that sequence in a show it was creating a compressed version of it and when it finished it started playing. I'm a fan of it.

LOL thank you, I was wondering if that was the size of your compressed file or a regular file, just trying to get a comparison idea since I cannot download your file until go back to work.

But now that I see the undo o[tion, may not be an issue anymore. 1GB here we come!

Thebaronn, the file I uploaded is the full sequence. I have no idea where LOR saves the compressed sequence or what it's file extension is. If I knew I would be more than happy to look and see what the difference between size is.

Williams, Where am I going? I drive a 3/4 truck if its far I'm gonna need gas money.

Wal-Mart to buy an umbrella to get to work on the unicast setup.

.LSV is what saves your visual preferences (zoom level, etc.)

.LCS is the compressed sequence.

.SUP is a Superstar Editor file.

Wal-Mart to buy an umbrella to get to work on the unicast setup.

.LSV is what saves your visual preferences (zoom level, etc.)

.LCS is the compressed sequence.

.SUP is a Superstar Editor file.

Stirring the pot early?

Looks like someone isn't reading all his emails...

I'm presuming, of course, that every Beta tester gets the same emails...

Looks like someone isn't reading all his emails...

I'm presuming, of course, that every Beta tester gets the same emails...

What you talkin bout Willis. :ph34r:

The LMS is 491MB

The LCS is 302MB.

Cool.

Very small considering its 65 universes! This is good news.

I need help! Working on a new years sequence and I may have reached some sort of glass ceiling. 4:23 and only 26DMX universes on E682. it is over 900MB now and I still have 10 universes to go, and now any copy/paste locks up LOR. Undo editing is off...

Any suggestions? Or am I just done for the season?

Save what you have then shut down software and reboot.

Sadly, it still didn't work. I restarted the program and computer numerous times.

Funny, it takes less than a min to reboot the computer, takes S3 over 2 minutes to load the sequence.....

Maybe I get lucky when I get home, new day, fresh eyes.

Try saving the clipboard after you copy it. Then close s3, reopen your sequence, turn off undo and load up the saved clipboard and try pasting again. I had to do that several times this year to make really large pastes. Don't know why it worked, maybe the large past is sitting in memory? Maybe saving it and closing frees up that memory? I don't know, it's worth a shot.

Funny, I was just thinking that the 2nd huge open sequence is probably eating memory also. I have hope now!

I noticed that once you paste, unless I am mistaken, there is no way to purge it. I would do copy a single cell after a large cut and paste to clear it out so to speak (well that was my theory), it seemed to help, but then again it could have been just wishful thinking.

Well, I guess I found the end. The sequence is 1.1 GB and it cannot save anymore. When I save it the memory usage slowly spikes to its max and then I get the errors saving sequence.

Funny, I can open the sequence and it plays just fine, but missing 5 DMX universes.

Well, I guess I found the end. The sequence is 1.1 GB and it cannot save anymore. When I save it the memory usage slowly spikes to its max and then I get the errors saving sequence.

Funny, I can open the sequence and it plays just fine, but missing 5 DMX universes.

That stinks! I also had no luck with switching to unicast the result was exactly the same as multicast. It only lags during lots of fades and transitions across more than 22 universes. I went back in and earased everything and just used on off commands for all 65 universes and playback was smooth on my lights. So yes we have hit a glass cieling IMO. I also spoke with several users of other software and hardware and they are seeing the same problems if they fade in and out of colors for all universes. They just changed thier sequences to make it less demanding on the software. I dont want to do that, I really like some of the effects I created in S3 this year I would hate to have to delete them to be able to add more universes. I really believe LOR can handle whatever we throw at it but it may need some more memory allocated to it or utilize more cpu than it currently does.

Does anyone know what the architecture behind LOR s3 is? Hardware was touched on briefly in this thread but it would be good to know what S3 actually utilizes as a good starting point to build the perfect sequencing pc. If it only uses 4gb max memory and dual core cpu then there wouldnt be any point in upgrading anything.

I really want my LOR to work with these high channel counts. I have very little desire to use madrix with it but it may turn out to be a viable option.

Anyway, I will hush now and wait to see what the next update brings with it.

So where are you saying the current limit appears to be at? 65 or 22 universes? I know S3 runs in 32 bit mode so it can only address so much memmory, less that 4 gig I believe.

I'm not certain what the actual limit is but I only loaded up 65 universes in the sequencer. I didnt forsee myself going over that next year. It will handle 65 universes full of strictly on/off commands but when you throw in fades and color transitions like the first 19 seconds of my Pop Love sequence it starts lagging and has jerky playback on the lights anywhere over 22 universes.

Are you removing the clipboards from your saved list? Leaving them there reduces the amount of available memory.

Which tool are these clipboards coming from?

Are you removing the clipboards from your saved list? Leaving them there reduces the amount of available memory.

Which tool are these clipboards coming from?

I try to make sure I remove all my clipboards before saving. I dont always remember but end up catching it when I open it the next time. I'm not sure if thrbarron is or not. I use both your clipboard flipper, papagayo to LOR and Seans nutcracker to create clipboards. For the most part I havnt had any issues with those. The crashes happen when I copy and paste within the sequence.