Light-O-Rama Forums

Memory Leak still in 3.9

zman

Last night I shutdown the computer to have the changes DevMike suggested in post #8. I unloaded the tray last night after powering the computer back on. THe laptop was running all night. Then just now, I loaded the LOR Tray, Enabled the Schedule, then went to lauch the Status Window and bang, LOR hung. This is an example of it hanging after a re-boot. This has happened before. So I shut it down, powered back up and THEN the LOR tray loaded fine and it seems OK now for tonights show.

Very frustrating, because what this does is forces me to sit in front of my computer EVERY night before the show starts to ensure it starts. There are nights when I would like to take my lovely wife out for dinner on occasion, and now that can't happen.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tim Fischer

• zman

• LOR Staff

• LightORamaDan

Has anybody captured any data that shows the memory leak? It sounds like there are ways to verify it is a memory leak and determine what process is causing it. But you have to monitor the memory allocation over a period of time to see it grow. A single value taken at any given time doesn’t seem to mean much.

http://social.techne...b3-f9e9a3369844

I'd feel better if LOR would comment further on this. Are they looking into it? Do they think we're all crazy? lol. There are several threads regarding show issues, so there are either a multitude of user errors, or something is up.

Just a FYI - with about 40 minutes left in tonight's show, everything is running normally. No errors in the log either.

The difference? I rebooted the show after last night's show. It seems it takes a few days running w/o restart to make problems show up.

Zman --- Mark, how many LOR networks do you have? What's your configuration on each of them? If you try loading Network Preferences from the Control Panel/LOR Tray what happens? What else do you have running on the machine? If you can run msinfo32.exe and email me a complete export of your sysinfo that would be great. While you are at it, run LOR Diagnostics and copy/paste the info displays and email it to me. You have my personal email so send it there.

---Michael

We are aware that several of you are posting issues, but we can't find the common thread amongst those reports that could point us in the right direction.

For whatever it's worth, I have not had any problems at all. I have a dedicated HP desktop with a 3GHz Pentium 4 processor and 1GB of RAM. It is running Windows XP with service pack 3. Last time I rebooted was on 12 December after installing the "normal" monthly Windows updates. I upgraded to 3.9.0 the day after it was released. I expect to reboot in a few minutes since I see a new Windows security update got released. I am installing that right now.

For lighting, I am running 8 LOR controllers on 1 network, and 601 RGB pixels via E1.31. I am only running an animation show this year and it runs from just before 1700 until 2300 and again from 0400 - 0645. In between is my "normal" overnight landscape lighting which uses 34 channels.

We are aware that several of you are posting issues, but we can't find the common thread amongst those reports that could point us in the right direction.

Here's my show stats:

Approximately 210 channels on an LOR network (including a bunch on two different iDMX units)

4608 channels (1536 pixels) of E1.31 data

Virtually all of my sequences (all but a couple of brief announcements) are .WMP video files.

LOR 3.5.2

Startup sequence with no lighting events, runs a "Windows Command" .BAT file to send X10 commands to my CM15A interface.

Two shutdown sequences: One "show's over, get otta here" message, and the second that does the opposite of the startup sequence.

Other than going from about 250 LOR channels to the above pixel configuration, my show is identical to last years (which ran on LOR 2.9.x flawlessly): Same sequences (other than more channels), same video files, basically the same order (I may have tweaked it slightly).

The other difference from last year is a different show computer. Win7 with WMP 12, rather than Win XP with WMP ???

When I was running 3.5, I had one night where the show locked up - had several "Windows Media Player encountered an error" messages in the log. Show player was unresponsive. The other night's issue was with 3.5.2 - show went on but I lost video - had many "Windows Media Player encountered an error" messages in the log. On nights where I reboot first, i get no errors and everything works.

I'm happy and willing to provide additional data you need. However, I'll most likely be rebooting my PC every day now. This may thwart the bug tracking process, but at least my show will go on.

Edited by Tim Fischer

I will throw my hat in the ring with my issues this year as well. I have yet to have the show lock up completely this year but without a nightly reboot of the show pc I am getting extended times between songs. For example night one without a reboot show runs smooth with no pause between songs, night two maybe 5 seconds between songs, night three 10 second pause between songs, night four 20+ seconds between songs and cars leave so I reboot. I've now made it a routine to reboot every night when the show completes.

Core i3, 120GB SSD with 4 GB of ram running S3 3.9 with 96 LOR channels ran from usb and 22 DMX universes ran from E1.31. Total show run time 37:00 mins and repeats for 4 hours a night. 17 sequences total and all audio files are WAV's. Did not have this issue last year. Actually I didnt even touch the show pc last year running the same audio files and 64 LOR channels.

I can sympathize. I often feel that way here. :angry:

I am here multiple times per day usually from 9AM - 11PM, 7 days a week, except Sundays when I am unavailable from 1-6 while I take the time to have dinner with my parents.

I can't say that I read all messages, since there are simply too many. I do look at all the message titles and when I see something I think I can help with, or a thread that I have previously posted in, I look them over. The only exception to that is the Beta testing boards where I read ALL messages.

I have said this MULTIPLE times -- If at any time you feel ignored, all you have to do is ping me. You can PM me. You can eMail me (mike at lightorama). You can open a trouble ticket. You can ask me to ping someone else. At a minimum I will acknowledge you, and let you know that someone has looked at your issue.

Please do not insinuate that no one cares or that no one is listening. One of my self-imposed duties is to always be accessible -- to be a sort of liaison between the users and the company. I take it very personally when anyone suggests I am not performing that duty.

Mike, wasn't trying to be offensive by my statement. A bunch of us had posted a lot more info about the issues we're having. In one post, I specifically said "it would be nice if LOR would at least acknowledge this might be an issue". At the time I posted my comment, nobody had yet.

You've been really responsive with the audio issue I had (that ended up being (I think, still can't be 100% sure) issues on my end. As a Sr. Software Engineer myself, I know how horrible it can be to track down issues like this - issues that only a handful of people are seeing in certain circumstances that are hard to replicate.

So at this point, the best thing you guys can do is let us know you're reading our comments, maybe looking through code, etc. Ask of some questions if you find that helpful. At this point, I'm just dumping everything I can possibly say that might help point you in the right direction.

When several days go by with no LOR response, then we start getting worried :)

I know it's Christmas now, and I doubt you guys are going to forgo celebrations with your families and track this thing down. Heck, I sure wouldn't. But communication is key :)

-Tim

OK, this seems significant to me. Maybe it's not. Someone from LOR would have to tell me for sure:

Background: We play an "off hours" show, music only, from 7AM until 5:30pm when our real show stars. These are all .lms files with no lighting events.

1) I had to run some errands tonight so I checked the Task Manager stats at about 4:30. The "off hours" show had been playing since 7AM. "lormonitor.exe" had approximately 16,000K allocated to it. This would change slightly (down or up) as different sequences would swap in.

2) Our show ended at 10PM, and we don't have any show until tomorrow's 7am "off hours" show. I just checked the task manager:

"lormonitor.exe" has ahad a whopping 180,000K allocated to it.

3) I did a "disable shows immediately". The LORMonitor task went away.

4) I enabled shows. LORMonitor came back, with only 8,400K.

As a developer, this would appear to me that LOR is slowly leaking memory as the show progresses. But I'll leave it up to you guys to interpret the results, knowing how you manage your own memory.

I have just become aware of this thread. It certainly sounds like there are issues we need to understand. We will give this a high priority because having a show run without issues is my highest priority with the software. As mentioned in another thread we may be looking for help in reproducing these issues.

Dan