Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to find stuff?

JayBo1967

I will be interested in any responses here, too. And I am already a little frustrated in my inability to find inexpensive (cheap) female AC connectors I can attached to bulk wire. I found some at the local big box store for about $3.00 but they only have 6 instock. I need 12 to 16 for my starter project. I may go with some cheap extension cords (6ft +12 ft), but was hoping to be able to make a run without an additional connection in the middle of the cord.

I'm looking forward to getting my feet wet (hey, I live in Seattle) and again, thanks for the help!

Ken

Mini-trees - Tomato cages turned upside down and wrapped with lights. Some people use florist easels for the same purpose. If you scan the forums you will run across designs made from a number of 45 degree PVC elbows, PVC Tees and lengths of PVC.

Arches - Lengths of PVC wrapped with strings of lights. Some people directly attach the lights to the PVC and others wrap short lengths of PVC "sleeves" and put them over the longer lengths.

If you are serious about this hobby you will become well acquainted with your local building supply store. You will also get some strange looks from the employees if you share with them the intended use of your purchases.

I will be interested in any responses here, too. And I am already a little frustrated in my inability to find inexpensive (cheap) female AC connectors I can attached to bulk wire. I found some at the local big box store for about $3.00 but they only have 6 instock. I need 12 to 16 for my starter project. I may go with some cheap extension cords (6ft +12 ft), but was hoping to be able to make a run without an additional connection in the middle of the cord.

I'm looking forward to getting my feet wet (hey, I live in Seattle) and again, thanks for the help!

Ken

A lot of folks on here (including myself) use bulk lamp cord (SPT-1 or SPT-2) for making custom extension cords. The ends (male/female) slide on easily without tools and are referred to as "vampire" plugs. You can find them at one of many Christmas supply stores. Expect to pay around $0.40 each. Msg me and I'll tell you where I buy from.

So far, all of the LEDs that I bought at BigLots and Target, work just fine with LOR controllers...so the after-Christmas sales are the best time to get them. ALTHOUGH, from what I'm seeing, lots of places are already putting their stuff on sale and they seem to have a lower stock available.

Related to SPT1 wire as mentioned already, I got it but bought vampire plugs/sockets from here:

http://store.ledgenlighting.com/search.asp?keyword=slide&search=GO