Light-O-Rama Forums

Random String turning on.

redsea300

Ok so the show runs great and shuts down. We go to bed when we get up in the morning there are random strings on. I turn off then on the controller and it turns off. Each night different strings. Any ideas.

Do you have any lights programmed all the way to the end of the sequence?

I have had to make sure the last column of cells in my sequences are OFF, even though I have lights off at end checked off, if I programmed lights all the way to the last cells, those lights WOULD, and DID NOT turn off, even with that option checked.

I have been out there at end of show everything is off> The other night i left at 4am all was off. when I came back a 5:30am ther were multiple strings on. The show stopped and turned off at 10pm the night before. This is happening hours it is off.

Are you running any type of overnight sequence{s}? If so, could be something in one of them creating the issue. Otherwise, I'm sort of at a loss at the moment, because the only other thing I could think of that might create something like this would be failing triacs, but I kind of rule that out since you say this is random channels and strands, and would be doubtful that many triacs would fail at the same time..

No overnight sequence. It is never the same strings and most nights nothing happens. I would say maybe 2-3 times a week.

Sounds like a noise problem on the comm cable. I had more problems at the first of the year, but this was also on of them. I make all of my own cables. But at one point I misread the legend on a socket and ended up making a cross over cable. This breaks the common ground that runs through out the display. Do you make your own cables? Or are you sure all of your cables are patch. Also you might make sure all of your Cat5 cables are spaced out some from the A.C. cables.

All cables were purchased patch cables. Cat 6 hi speed. They are seperated from electrical. I am thinking it is a random or leftoover command floating out there somewhere. I upgraded to 3.9 last thursday. I didn't have another problem till this morning when I got up and 3 different strings were on.

Problem is your computer goes into sleep mode and the comm listener is no longer keeping the lights off. Try turning off the sleep mode and have the computer on, and it will then keep the lights under control. ( this worked for me with the same issue)

I have computer set to never turn off or sleep. When the show is over Zara takes over a couple minutes later and runs all day. I reboot it every morning. This am, no lights on all is good today.

Just went outside to leave for work and 3 random channels on. I turned controllers off then on and they went off.The only thing I have done since all was good an hour ago was reboot computer.

Edited by redsea300

Only thing I can think of maybe a bad cable somewhere or a cable is lying along an electrical cord somewhere that may be creating the problem. Since you have the computer set not to turn off or sleep, no overnight sequences, just seems it would have to be something along the comm lines creating this.

Do you happen to have outdoor speakers and, if so, are they wired?

Speaker wire does carry current and if the speakers are left on from the radio feeding them when the show is over, that small quiet hum along the lines could create this if your comm cables were run alongside the speakers wiring, since nothing is running lights and everything is quiet, that small electrical field can turn on random lights throughout the night while you're sleeping, but it's not a fast change, it is actually very slow and it is random in what it does. Happened to me my first year and again this year due to I had to run my spoeaker wires and comm cables together due to how my home is set up, but I had forgotten about it.

To prevent the effect I now run an overnight sequence for some lights and then an all off sequence prior to my off hours music. Just seems if I have some lights on each controller in my display running overnight, and then the all off sequence in the morning, I haven't had any problems like that again, especially again,. I had to run my speaker and comm cable wiring to my controllers are in the same location.

So you may want to try something like that and see if the problem goes away or, again, if comm cables and speaker wiring is together and you can seperate them by about 6 to 8 inches {or more}, try that. One, the other or both should help to alleviate the issue.

But not really seeing your setup, these are just some suggestions on what to look for, do or try to eliminate your issues.

I had a similar issue. I created a sequence that does nothing but turn off all channels and put it in my shutdown tab of the scheduler. Problem went away.

I would try something like that and see if the lights come back on in the overnight. That's no doubt is a "noise" problem as the others have indicated.

Outside speakers are turned off way before the show ends. Actually I only turn them on when the crowds are huge on weekends usually. I created a blank clean up sequence and put into show. Now it is a wait and see game. I really appreciate all the helpful ideas.

thanks

Don C.

Ok so the show runs great and shuts down. We go to bed when we get up in the morning there are random strings on. I turn off then on the controller and it turns off. Each night different strings. Any ideas.

The same thing was happening to me. Turned out to be a bad cat5 cable. http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/24514-i-hate-eating-crow-but-humble-pie-isnt-too-bad/

I guess I am going to have to check cables. Today at 5 am all is good. I put a all off sequence in the shutdown. I did not reboot today. I want to see if that is doing it. I will try tomorrow. As far a cables go. I have 1 100 foot going to a shed that has 12 controllers in it. Each of those has a 1 foot cable between each. Next I have 1 100 foot going to 2 controllers in the garage, Next I have 2 100 foot going to the ccr board. As of yet have not had any ccr's come on.

I also have a similar issue. I have two light strings on different controllers that stay on continuously at about 5%. It's just enough that when it gets dark you can just barely see that they are on. I'm assuming it is "noise" also but haven't figured out where it is coming from. The only time they go off is when I unplug the controllers. I am running wirelessly to the controllers and know it is not from them as I have turned off the computer and unplugged the wireless linkers and the lights are still on.

I will check my CAT5 cables to see if they are touching controller power cords. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Darly, if it is the same string all the time, it is the triac going bad. I have had that issue in the past. As far as my issue random strings coming on after show. I put in a 15 sec sequence with all lights off in the shutdown portion. I did not have any issues all week. I rebooted the computer yesterday morning, a couple of hours later I checked the display (around 11 am) there was 4 strings on. So the problem is happening when i reboot the laptop.