Light-O-Rama Forums

CCF brightness

PKingRoch

I'm considering CCF's next year to light the fron of my house. I see they come 2 in a set. I'm curious how bright these are from others who have used them. I hope to wash the entire front of my house with CCF's but I am not sure how many sets I would need.

Does anyone have any pics/video of their home using the CCF's?

I took these pictures this past summer.

There are two CCF Heads (one controller) about 8-10 feet away from the house. Do keep in mind the red is somewhat washed out due to the reddish tone in the brick.

Along the brightness line how would a CCF compare to a 500 watt ? The type with the pencil bulbs. I am thinking about an indoor application.

Thanks

Mike

• Like 1

I am using a full 21 CCF heads on my display and it is BRIGHT. That said, I was using the same number of Mighty Mini floods last year and those were only a little less bright.

Now, I am aiming these floods directly at my walls. They are not angled up or down. The floods are only about 5-6 feet from the walls so I "slice" the house into many vertical stripes.

While the effect is powerful and dramatic in this use case, it is not typical of most users. Personally, I think just one or two angled at my house would look pretty poor. I know that "poor" is highly subjective.

Suffice it to say I'd probably use Malibu lights before I used two flood heads (any type) to cover a house.

In other words, I personally think that with RGB floods, you go BIG or don't go at all.

21 CCF heads?!?! Do you have any videos of this? I'm quite curious as to what this looks like.

I'm really just looking for some house lighting to add an additional dimension to our display. The house currently has 8 frames on it for windows/doors with 2 different LED colors each; 100-150 each color. We have 8 coro trees in the front yard with 400 LED's each and a CCR arch above each tree (4 CCR's = 8 arches). We have a 20' mega tree to the side with 60 strands of 100 ct LEDs on it. The house looks a little dark, so I was thinking CCF floods would help brighten it a bit. The ability to program it with the rest of the show for mood would be great.

I honestly was thinking 2-4 floods for the front of the house. The area to be lit is a 2 story colonial with that is about 60' wide. Links to our display can be seen here: http://www.facebook.com/kingchristmaslights

Advice?

I run a show with 6 CCF flood heads. This is my first year with RGB and I'll be honest...I love them. Not sure if there are other, similar products on the market that may or may not be brighter...but I am very happy with these. I divided my house up into 6 parts (three on the first story and three on the second story) and there is one CCF per part. They are all placed about 5 feet away from the wall...any further than that and they definitely wouldn't be bright enough. I also have a red brick house which diminishes the observable brightness of these things...here's a link for you:

Love the lighting design. Perfect application for the CCFs in my opinion. While I have some floods this season, I think I'll need to be adding more next year after seeing this.

Love the lighting design. Perfect application for the CCFs in my opinion. While I have some floods this season, I think I'll need to be adding more next year after seeing this.

Thanks! That is a huge compliment.

• 1 month later...

21 CCF heads?!?! Do you have any videos of this? I'm quite curious as to what this looks like.

Here are two videos from my 2012 show with 21 CCF flood heads.  Gangnam doesn't really have the floods used much until around :40.

Here is a video from 2011, with 21 Mighty Mini Floods

You will see that the LOR floods do an amazing job of color-striping.  The separation of colors on the Y-axis is incredible.  The X-axis - not so much.  The bleed is really bad.

The LOR floods also do not suffer from hotspots like the MMFLs do.  The  only hotspotting you will see is on the left garage, because the floods are only 2 feet from the garage door.

Again, with 21 floods, a person can do no wrong.  If I were using only 4 floods for this, i twould look crappy.

Edited by brianfox

About the above videos:

At the start of Gangnam you will see a good demonstration of white.  My house is stucco that is beige.  The garage doors are very dark brown wood, that absorb light like crazy.

There is a point in the Twisted Sister song where every flood is a different color - it shows my exact layout.  What is hard to see when looking dead-on is that in my alcove I have 4 floods.  Two aimed at each of the side walls.

For the record, both the 2011 and 2012 use the EXACT SAME color mixing.  This means that I make what I call "purple" by setting RGB to 100%, 0%, 100%.  I perceive that purple looks much more vivid with the MMFLs.  LOR floods have a weaker blue in my opinion.  Again, I am comparing a DIY project with a high quality LOR device.  The fact is that the primary colors produced by LOR are quite good.

If I could change one thing about the LOR floods, it would be the housing/bezel.  When you cast white against a wall from a distance, the RGB color separation at the far edges is prominent.

Edited by brianfox

• The topic was locked