Light-O-Rama Forums

Group donation effort for CT families

George Simmons

New York Times "Your Money" Columnist Ron Lieber posted the following suggestion on his Facebook page this morning:

Buy the community of Newtown, CT some breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can call King's Breakfast & Lunch at 203-426-6881 or call My Place Pizza at 203-270-7061. I told them to send pizzas and give meals to whoever needs it. I just called Kings and they were unbelievably grateful. Or look on Yelp.

Found this on msn's homepage just now. How are we ever going to choose? all are great places to send funds to.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brett H.

• George Simmons

• Mwhite7097

• 1983ss454

I am in agreement with Brett. There are many funds being set up right now, from Red Cross to United Way to private memorial funds to honor individuals who were lost in this tragedy. The fund I will be donating to is http://newtownmemorialfund.org/. This is a direct fund that will help families with funeral and burial cost directly, help fund a future memorial to the students and staff that lost their lives, and also set up a scholarship fund for those surviving students to help them in the future.

I am sure that all donations to the previously posted suggestions will be greatly appreciated also.

Checks for the United Way fund may be mailed to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund, c/o Newtown Savings Bank, 39 Main St., Newtown, CT 06470, or may be dropped off at any Newtown Savings Bank branch.

Checks for the United Way fund may be mailed to the Sandy Hook School Support Fund, c/o Newtown Savings Bank, 39 Main St., Newtown, CT 06470, or may be dropped off at any Newtown Savings Bank branch.

I don't mean to keep beating the same tired old drum, but I'd need to know how exactly is this fund being administered by the United Way? My problem with the United Way is that they commonly (or even usually) do not forward all the proceeds to the affected community or individuals. They cream off their administrative fees first and then they put the rest into their general fund, and while some of the donations will go to the cause for which they were donated, there's no guarantee how or where those funds will untimately be used. - the money could just as easily go to Punatuskie, Kansas following a tornado or something.

At this point, I'm liking the Memorial Fund personally.

Agreed and understand. My experience with them is they spend donations to promote themselves.

I hope in this case it is different.

I am in 100%.. If there is a voiceover.. Please let me know and I would love to add it to my show... or if someone writes something I work at a radio station and have full access to the studio to record it and can/will share.. I am just not good at writing that kind of thing...

I know there are a couple other lighted displays in the area that have donation boxes and such.. I am pretty sure I can let them know and I bet they would jump on board as well.

I created a voice over that includes background music that I am playing when I display the names of the 26 Students and Faculty whose lives were taken on December 14th.

It goes something like this....

"Please keep in your thoughts and prayers this Holiday Season, the Students and Faculty of Sandy Hook Elementary school whose lives were taken on December 14th."

If anyone is interested, I can upload it tonight.

We are in for friday night and might actually run with it through the weekend. We will be donating to the same fund as Mwhite.

We too are using the entire weekends donations to go towards Newtown Memorial Fund. Dont forget if you have facebook to put it out there that we are all doing this. The more donations we get the more we can help out.

I'm sure there will be more info forthcoming as things begin to settle.

Has anyone shared this Friday night idea on FB or PC?

I think this would be so cool if it spread nationwide for that night.

I just updated our Facebook page with the information. I will be running special Voiceovers and a little shorter show both Friday and Saturday nights. Did we all come to a consensus on where to send donations? I would like to post that on my page as well.

this is where i am sending mine to http://newtownmemori...lfund.org/��and it looks like

1983ss454 and Baker Are sending there donations there as well.

I will send mine there too!!!... Got my show all updated.. I sequenced and added the song Hallelujah that they did last night on the Voice as a tribute song for my show.. It is a very simple sequence but very touching an moving. It goes well with my updated voicetracks. I will try and take a video to post tomorrow (Wed night) I will post it on Thursday. I am willing to share the sequence with anyone who wants it as well. Please PM me!

My show is all setup for tomorrow night, running a voice over that mentions what we all are doing. If anyone would like a copy of it to check it out send me a pm with your email. BradW thanks for the sequence for the tribute from the voice, shouid work nicely. We came up with a little tribute in the yard as well, i will attempt to take some video and post it saturday or sunday.

Tony

I'm not going to be able to do anything, I'm buried in snow. It'll be the end of the world fo me tonight when the 50mph winds hit later.

My show is all setup for tomorrow night, running a voice over that mentions what we all are doing. If anyone would like a copy of it to check it out send me a pm with your email. BradW thanks for the sequence for the tribute from the voice, shouid work nicely. We came up with a little tribute in the yard as well, i will attempt to take some video and post it saturday or sunday.

Tony

We did the same.. I am starting my show tonight... just because it is ready and due to facebook event.. people asking to see it early..

We also have a little yard tribute