Light-O-Rama Forums

Group donation effort for CT families

George Simmons

I've started this thread so that we can co-ordinate any and all information regarding a combined donation effort for the families of this tragic outrage.

At this time, there seems to be a consensus forming to have a special night for donations. I suggested next Friday - 12/21 because it should be one of the busiest viewing nights of the entire season. I know the charity we support - the Clearwater Food Shelf - will understand me diverting the funds from that night, and I'm hoping all the other charities y'all support will feel the same.

We have a powerful message to share with people, we have a powerful voice to lead the effort (forgive me for volunteering you Kevin, but there's no doubt in my mind you'll sadly donate your talent to create an announcement or two for this) and I think we can band together to use our talents to really do some good, above and beyond the norm this year. Think of it - synchronized displays across the country banding together to speak loud and clear with one voice for that night. It could be something really special.

I hope everyone here who normally collects donations will sign on for this. And I hope people who DON'T ordinarily collect donations will take this opportunity (what a sad choice of word) to do so.

Please post a short message if you're in.

I ask the forum Admin to sticky this thread on top of all others for the next week.

Thanks to all.

George

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brett H.

• George Simmons

• Mwhite7097

• 1983ss454

I posted this in another thread. I'm thinking of playing Kevin's message, or may have to make my own taylored to my display, then the moment of silence and play this redition of Amazing Grace with no lights. I would also disable the techno version of Amazing Grace for that night. Also strongly considering collecting donations next weekend. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do collection Friday night though, It's the wife's birthday and the end of the world.

http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=099FBFNU&utm_source=GodTube%20Must-See%20-%20Mobile&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=12/14/2012

George is there a central spot we can send our donations to?

Someone in another thread posted a link for the United Way, but I've read such bad press about how little money donated to them ever makes it to recipients that I'd like to find something where all the money will go to aid the families, not just the small percentage that the United Way cares to part with.

I'm hoping someone closer to the community comes up with a reputable local charity or fund we can comfortably send the money to where ALL of it goes to those folks.

I've been sitting here for forty minutes trying to decide how to do this. While I think it is a GREAT idea for our community to come together and collect for a night, and was ready a half hour ago to jump on this thread, the more I think about it, the more I just want to put a simple sign out with a donation box and let it go at that.

In my mind, ours is a hobby that brings joy. We are an escape, we give people something that lets them forget that they went in debt buying presents, that our world can be cruel and hard. We create that moment of time where nothing matters but those lights dancing on the house. We let them forget for a minute that there could be anything but happiness and love. Listening to Kevin's dedication, thinking of running a moment of silence, it brings the disbelief and anger back.

It makes me sad. I don't want to do that, especially to kids and families. I want cars driving away full of happy families, not sad.

In no way do I want to discourage some type of collection, but I for one will be doing my best to ensure that that there is as little chance of sadness as can be created for the rest of the season. I will make my display more upbeat rather than somber, but I will also do my best to collect and send whatever I can to help those that have had their Christmases destroyed.

Please do not take offense at my opinions, the last 24 hours I've been thinking of how to work in slow songs/hymns/memorials, but as I got on tonight and started picturing it...this is what came out.

No problem here - you've gotta do what you feel is best. I just want to use my talents and hard work to benefit grieving families, even if it's only a little bit. And I believe folks around here are only going to feel better for doing something, anything to help. I'm not sure how it's possible to feel worse than we all have for the past couple of days.

I am in George> And yes a local tv station out in Connecticut had recommended the United Way and thats why I went with them at this point but have tried reaching out to others for suggestions on where to send donations but havent heard back yet. I know we have some LOR "family" in Connecticut area that could better advise us where to send donations. And I am all ears on where to send them. But so far all I have is a short list of United Way. I am not sure how they normally operate but they also have an address for a local bank to send funds to on the United ways site.

i will seek out but there is also a Fire station Collecting Donations

THis is the First one I found the United Way Link

https://newtown.uwwesternct.org/

Still Looking for the other I saw

For those interested I'm spreading the word. For the families going through tough times this holiday students in ct you can send donations teddy bears, etc to the following address to go to the students that survived the horrible tragedy out there.

Sandy Hook Vol. Fire and Rescue

18-20 Riverside Rd/Po Box 783

Sandy Hook, CT 06482

Is what i got from CT Resident

Edited by Lights_on_light_st_ct

Seems this member should be able to help shed some light on this:

Also, for what it is worth...Friday 12/21 is the "Longest Night" of the year (winter solstice). Some churches will tend to have a Longest Night Service on 12/21 as a time to especially reach out to those that are grieving or having a "blue" Christmas. This also gives other members another opportunity to support them during such time. This describes it fairly well (not affiliated with this church or denomination--just a quick google find): http://www.gbod.org/site/apps/nlnet/content3.aspx?c=nhLRJ2PMKsG&b=5511947&ct=3842131

Only mention this to state that 12/21 seems an especially appropriate day to organize this for and in case anybody wanted to integrate this into their voiceovers somehow.

Seems this member should be able to help shed some light on this:

http://forums.lighto...ms/#entry237934

I have been in contact with Rob and he too said United Way was the only one that he could think of off the top of his head. I have also tried reaching out to various tv stations out in Connecticut but I am sure they are extremely busy and havent gotten back to me.

I'm sure there will be more info forthcoming as things begin to settle.

Has anyone shared this Friday night idea on FB or PC?

I think this would be so cool if it spread nationwide for that night.

Edited by George Simmons

I have posted it on my facebook. I also have emailed the only funeral home in Newtown- though I know they are extremely busy and would be surprised if they get to me anytime soon.( very understandable). But my thought was possibly to send money directly to the funeral home to help cover any cost the families might incur. Just a thought but I am sure they too will direct us to someone else which would be understandable as well. but hopefully they can direct us to a good place to send money to.

http://www.honanfh.com/Place_A_Memorial_Donation_136355.html

Found this on their website. Just an idea but at least all donations would go directly to the families. Maybe take all donations divide them up equally and use the memorial donation on their website to donate directly to the families. Just a thought.

I thought I saw a link somewhere in the past couple of days for a Fire Dept in that area that had set up a fund. That's the kind of thing I'd like to find because those are the guys on the front lines and they would have my implicit trust.

I'm not sure that funeral homes are the best choice, and I'd feel a whole lot better if their website was a bit more substantive. But maybe they'd be a good source of information.

I agree with others..at first thought I thought it was a good idea..but then I thought of those who shut down there displays because of the tragedy andI went the other way...I kept my lights on so parents had somewhere to take their kids rather than sit at home and watch the dismal news on TV...

but I think I could get on board...the past three years we have had a tragedy within our community and collected donations specifically for those families with great success...

Mwhite- that would be great. We all want to help out the families in the best way possible. We do this for the kids- the kids in all of us. So whatever we can do to help it is an honor to do so. This hit home for me having a 3yr and 5 yr old myself. I couldnt even begin to imagine losing any of my kids. My heart goes out to those families.

Mwhite- that would be great. We all want to help out the families in the best way possible. We do this for the kids- the kids in all of us. So whatever we can do to help it is an honor to do so. This hit home for me having a 3yr and 5 yr old myself. I couldnt even begin to imagine losing any of my kids. My heart goes out to those families.

+1

Thanks Surfing4dough. It would be great to give the donations directly to the families. Just let me know what we all decide on as we are changing our donation sign to reflect the change. I put my vote in for http://newtownmemorialfund.org/

We have decided not to make any reference via a voiceover- just a sign change and what we post on our facebook page. Want this to be a happy family fun not a sad one.