Light-O-Rama Forums

Issue with standalone animation sequences

JSelph

I've created a couple of simple animation-only sequences. When hooked up to the controllers from my PC via Cat-5, they work beautifully. But when uploaded into the flash memory of a controller to be played as a standalone sequence, to be triggered when the power turns on each night, the sequences act erratically. I've removed the sequences and reloaded them, but the same thing happens. I've tried uploading them on different controllers, but again they do not run properly.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Can you give some more detail on what you are seeing when they are running standalone?

How many controllers, etc., do you have in the setup?

Don

I have 6 controllers and all are daisy chained via Cat-5. The simplest animation sequence consists of slow color fades every 30 seconds. When connected to the PC, the sequence runs smoothly. When I download the sequence to the flash memory of one of the 1602 controllers and set it to run standalone, some of the elements light up and others do not, trees that should be a single color often have 2 colors, and other elements that were previously unlit will flash on for a few seconds and then turn off.

I found an older forum post this morning that recommends disconnecting all other controllers prior to downloading the sequence into the flash memory. Could that be the issue?

Having only one controller connected would rule out a lot of potential issues. Wouldn't say it's an absolute requirement, but I wouldn't personally be trying to add a standalone to a controller if more than one device was on the network.

Also, make 110% sure you've removed the sequence from the other controllers. If two devices are sending out commands to the controllers, the results will be unpredictable.

I run multi controllers in standalone mode, no prob.

Try what Don says, reset all controllers, except program controller 01.

Reset by powering on at 00, then power off and reset to the appropriate controller #

Make sure each controller has a different #

When hooking up each controller separately and using the Hardware Utility to "Remove Sequence", I am getting this error message:

No Response

Unit did not respond to the Clear Command. Retry Command.

I've retried it several times with no luck. Same thing happens on each controller. Thoughts?

In the meantime, I'll try resetting each controller on Saturday to see if that helps.

UPDATE: Resetting the controllers seemed to help, but to alleviate all of the issues, I went ahead and connected everything directly to my PC. Thanks everyone for your input on here and via PM's.

Edited by JSelph

I had a similiar thing happen a couple of years ago. I loaded the sequences and then tried letting them run. I had four controllers tied together running off the first one. They behaved similiar to what you described. Fooled around with it for quite a while. Then gave up and disconnected my computer and then every thing ran correctly. Learned real quick that in standalone mode I need to disconnect the computer before testing out the sequences.