Light-O-Rama Forums

outdated wmp.dll? my display is dead now...

saveglamis

I noticed my show wasn't running, I walked into my office where my computer is and I guess Microsoft thought it was time to do some updates. No big deal I thought, pc will reboot and everything will be ok. Nope, now I get a LORMonitor error talking about an outdated wmp.dll file. I am using windows 7 with windows media player 12. wmp is built into the OS, I can't uninstall or reinstall, so I uninstalled lor 3.8.0 and reinstalled. No dice, still getting same error. I can control everything using the hardware utility, just cant enable shows. Any suggestions? hate to think i have a bunch of expensive paperweights around my house now.

Thanks

Eric

Go into Windows update and unclick the auto-update option then click the Notify me and Let Me Choose option.

Then Control Panel > System and Security > Action Center > Restore Your Computer to an Earlier Time > Open > System Restore then choose the most current restore point and restore your system. It won't mess with anything but the last few updates from Microsoft.

Do a System Restore to roll back your computer to an earlier time (a few days ago) to hopefully undo the changes that messed up your show. If it works, turn off Windows Updates (at least until after show season).

(System Restore is under Control Panel, System and Security, Action Center).

EDIT: great minds think alike...at 2:26 in the morning. Some just type faster (plus live on the west coast). ;)

Edited by Surfing4Dough

Eric - Keep us posted on your progress and you should let the LOR folks know, especially DevMike, one of the programmers.

This is why my show computer isn't connected to the internet. I also disable automatic updates and set it to let me choose instead of allowing them to automatically install.

• Like 1

Guest wbottomley

This is why my show computer isn't connected to the internet. I also disable automatic updates and set it to let me choose instead of allowing them to automatically install.

If you show PC is not connected to the internet, then, how you choose updates does not matter.

There is an option to remove specific updates, I wasn't really in the mood to run a restore last night, so I'll mess with it later. Side note, was running the show on an old xp machine in the garage that wasn't on my network, but it decided to fail on me as well this season, and unless lor starts working on mac's I'm stuck with what I have right now.

If you show PC is not connected to the internet, then, how you choose updates does not matter.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.