Light-O-Rama Forums

What are memory leak symptoms?

Galen

So I see there's a new version of the software to address a memory leak. Is this something for which everyone should upgrade? Or is it something that if you don't notice an issue, just let it ride?

More specificially, I've had two issues the last week that have concerned me and now I wonder if it may be a "leak". Both of these issues my computer seems to still be turned on, but is unresponsive (like it is frozen), even unable to have the screen wake up. The power indicators, etc. all indicate that the computer is on, but we need to reboot it to get it going again. Both of these happened when the show was NOT running (i.e., sometime overnight or during the day) however the shows were enabled and had been simply running the show for several days.

I am mildly concerned that my show computer is failing, but now I wonder, Could this be a memory leak symptom? I think I'll upgrade anyway, but just wondering if this type of behavior is how a leak can manifest itself.

Thanks,

Galen

That could absolutely be caused by a memory leak. As your computer runs out of available memory, it gets more and more sluggish.

You should update.

Just read your post more carefully. If the software isn't open, then it wouldn't cause that. But I'm betting its still loaded and there's an icon next to your clock.

Your show pc should have those power saving options off so that it doesn't power down.

I had a problem recently that I hadn't ever seen before... I have 4 controllers running my "non" display this year (didn't put much out because I'm old and lazy - bah, humbug!). Anyway, I noticed about 3 nights ago that my CCFs, DMX devices, and lights on one PC16 controller were not working, yet another controller father downstream was working fine. I went out and took a look. I had power to the controllers that weren't working. I opened the iDMX and PC16 controllers. Both had a flashing communication light instead of the solid light that I was expecting (since the controller farther downstream was functioning properly). I power cycled the controllers, but the results were the same. Flashing communication lights, and no display lights. I went inside, disabled the shows,unloaded LOR, ran the hardware utility. Everything was working in the HU. restarted the control panel and enabled shows again, and then everything was working fine. Weird. Really weird. Memory issue?

D.T.

Edited by DownTown

I've had two separate episodes now (one tonight) where the show just stopped dead in its tracks. The log is full of messages like "loading sequence ..." "ending sequence..." etc but nothing is playing. And the weirdest thing of all - the lights are frozen in their tracks - whether they be native LOR, DMX (via iDMX) or E1.31 stuff. So if I glance at the security cams I don't always notice there's a problem. Tonight I was tipped off by someone posting on my FB page.

The other weird thing - since I didn't have time to load the upgrade before the show tonight - I specifically went in and unloaded the control panel, then reloaded it right before the show. And yet this still happened again. But only twice this season (the other time was Saturday, right at the beginning of the show).

I installed the fix tonight so we shall see what happens...

I have been having problems each night for the last for the last 2 and a half weeks. Show completly shuts down. Upgraded Monday night and Tuesday was the first night the show ran wih to errors. I would recommend at least updating to the 3.x.2 bug fix. Thanks Bob for fixing this!!!

So called "Memory Leaks" can be loss of memory or loading up of memory so badly that the computer can't process. Worse in that programming is different for different operating systems as well and they have to account for all of them being used. I wish I could relate to everyone how difficult software programming can be but please trust me when I say that its easy to miss something in the source code. LOR's programmers have a difficult job. Cut them some slack and be understanding. I'm sure they are doing their best.

I say that because before retiring, one of my side jobs where I worked was designing all the of the laboratory software. Lucky for them and myself, I was also the user of the same code in my primary position. So I could easily see if things were correct or not, design improvements and so on. Sometimes however, making a small change here or there could have resulted in huge consequences. Now LOR controllers are not as important as what I worked with and mistakes were not allowed but LOR users are just as demanding. If you spot something that isn't working correctly, its best to let LOR know about it so they can do some digging.

We sometimes get flack for using VB in a lot of the LOR suite. People (incorrectly) think that VB is old, slow and has no positive aspects what so ever.

I always tell people we use the right tools for the job. One of the nice things about VB is garbage collection and the lack of leaks. Even if I forget to dump a class, or de-allocate an array, VB will clean up after me.

Of course C and C++ have their places too. I would never try to talk down and dirty with system level stuff with VB. (for the most part) I can call the same routines that C does in VB, it's just going to be ugly and not very efficient. C++ is much better at creating DLLs than VB is at creating OCXs.

We sometimes get flack for using VB in a lot of the LOR suite. People (incorrectly) think that VB is old, slow and has no positive aspects what so ever.

I always tell people we use the right tools for the job. One of the nice things about VB is garbage collection and the lack of leaks. Even if I forget to dump a class, or de-allocate an array, VB will clean up after me.

Of course C and C++ have their places too. I would never try to talk down and dirty with system level stuff with VB. (for the most part) I can call the same routines that C does in VB, it's just going to be ugly and not very efficient. C++ is much better at creating DLLs than VB is at creating OCXs.

I mostly worked with NI's LabView but its "C" based in the background. The only thing I didn't care for it was a background engine to be installed and running in order to run any created execuitable. In a lab environment, a background engine isn't an issue but for LOR users, that would indeed create a problem of use and understanding. But, on the positive side, LV should easily be able to talk to these devices and programming would be simpler by far using a GUI. As you said though, you are using what's works and needed for LOR devices.

Never had issues nor rebooted for weeks. This is why 16gb of memory for show computer is nice.

Here we go with the "Mine is Bigger Than Yours" :blink:

Edited by magish01