Light-O-Rama Forums

Memory Leak issue question for Bob

Orville

That memory leak problem only affects those running their shows from a PC only, is that correct Bob?

Those of us using DC-MP3 Showtime Directors or Mini Directors would not be affected by this memory leak issue, correct?

Just want to be sure I'm not going to run into any issues running my shows from my DC-MP3 Showtime Director.

Thanks Don. I thought that would be the answer, but better to ask now than to find out there could be an issue later!

Does the leak exist in S2 as well? Bob didn't mention that version, so I'm guessing not. Reason I ask is that I've noticed that, over time (usually after a 3-4 days) my show PC tends to start exhibiting funny behavior. I see delays and other undesirable stuff in my shows.

I've assumed it's actually a Windows problem and my fix has been to have it restart itself every morning at 3:00am. Voila. Symptoms are gone. Since it restarts every 24 hours, it doesn't exhibit the problems.

BTW... I'm running Win7 and LOR 2.9.4 on a mildly-capable dual core Intel system. So, I don't think the hardware is the problem.

That memory leak problem only affects those running their shows from a PC only, is that correct Bob?

Those of us using DC-MP3 Showtime Directors or Mini Directors would not be affected by this memory leak issue, correct?

That is correct, at least in practice. Theoretically the leak also affects the Sequence Editor and other programs that use sequences, but unless you do a whole lot of loading, closing, loading, closing of the same sequence, without actually closing the Sequence Editor itself in between, I think you're only likely to see a "real" effect in the Show Player. And to be explicit, DC-MP3 Showtime Directors and Mini Directors are completely unaffected.

Does the leak exist in S2 as well?

This particular bug is in versions 3.5.0, 3.6.0, 3.7.0, and 3.8.0, and it is not in any other version.

Wait, I think maybe I phrased that poorly, so I want to try again:

(1) The bug absolutely does not affect DC-MP3 Showtime Directors or Mini Directors.

(2) While it's basically true in practice that the bug only affects the Show Player, it may in theory also cause strange things in (for example) the Sequence Editor. But the Show Player's where it is most likely to have a noticeable effect.

The only isse I've encounter over the last few 3.x upgrades were when programming the lights in the SE, my mouse would start doing weird things, like instead of a smooth transition with a chase, the mouse would start the chase, stop and then jump a few cells and make an erratic looking chase, which I;d have to undo. It also would do the same when doing fade ups or downs or trying to copy a line of cells from one area to another. Quite frustrating.

But that's the only issues I;ve had in the SE and only after I've loaded, closed and then loaded several songs in succession without ever closing the SE. Never had this issue in any of the other SE's prior to the 3.x upgrades with my mouse acting so erratically after a while.

To clear it, I usually have to reboot the system.

Oh, one other issue I;ve gotten is after I've worked in the SE for a while, over an hour or more, when I close the SE, it closes fine, but windows {XP Home} gives me a pop up that an error was encountered and that the SE was closed due to the error, yet, I had already closed and exited the SE when this pops up. I just thought it may have been a Windows XP issue, so now I'm guessing the Memory Leak could also be creating this bogus error as well.