Light-O-Rama Forums

Excuse me for being lazy, but I just want plug and play...

bvinson

Hello All,

I went to the LOR site and saw the following setup "Simple Controller Configuration using Standalone Showtime Director" and realized this is what I want to do.

I don't want to program- at least not right now. I love building stuff, so the trees, arches, etc are not my issue- I just don't want to program! I have resorted to the "Mr Christmas" system for this season and plan to move up to LOR next season...

Question, is this the closest this to plug and play for LOR? Can I go pretty far with this set up by just purchasing or downloading free sequences?

In my opinion, yes, that would be the closest thing to plug and play for LOR.

Keep in mind that with any sequence, free or paid, you might have to tweak it a little bit to match your setup. (Unless you were to get someone to program for your display.)

Keep in mind that with any sequence, free or paid, you might have to tweak it a little bit to match your setup. (Unless you were to get someone to program for your display.)

Thanks, that's something I didn't think of. I find myself looking at the Mr. Christmas thinking "Why is 'THAT' light coming on?" during certain sequences.

you get out of your display what you put into it...

for a lot of us this s a YEAR ROUND hobby...and even then we are not completely satisfied with the results...

• Like 3

What your asking is do able but it would most likely require paying someone to do all the sequencing and planning work.

I do this for a few people and it's not cheap or easy. My display suffered alittle this year due to me taking on other displays.

You can for sure start with others sequences, both free and pay. As for paid, I like the Wow lights setup. You can see their website for layout and sequences.

Personally, I think using others sequences and then copying and pasting into your own wouldn't require quite the extensive work, but would get you good results.

You can for sure start with others sequences, both free and pay. As for paid, I like the Wow lights setup. You can see their website for layout and sequences.

Personally, I think using others sequences and then copying and pasting into your own wouldn't require quite the extensive work, but would get you good results.

My first year it took me about 1-3 hours to edit a free sequence to fit in my display.

I agree. But with the new LOR "ready to go" sequences, you're not even *allowed* to teak things. This is bad, IMHO, but if that's what people want...

I agree. But with the new LOR "ready to go" sequences, you're not even *allowed* to teak things. This is bad, IMHO, but if that's what people want...

True, with the "Ready to Go" you can not change the sequence. However, the "Sequences You Can Modify" well, you can modify to fit your needs.

What your asking is do able but it would most likely require paying someone to do all the sequencing and planning work.

I do this for a few people and it's not cheap or easy. My display suffered alittle this year due to me taking on other displays.

I have had quite a few people ask me to do a display at their house..my response.."You can't afford it"... ;)

• Like 1

I have had quite a few people ask me to do a display at their house..my response.."You can't afford it"... ;)

Your're not talking to the right people. :lol: You may have a high price but their's someone that will pay it. :)

I guess I got lucky. I tell people what they need and what it will cost and say take it or leave it. I do start them small (32 channels is a good ice breaker).

Edited by dknahoolewa

My first year it took me about 1-3 hours to edit a free sequence to fit in my display.

Yep. But still shorter then from scratch/beat wizard/etc.

This really isn't a hobby for short cuts lol.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses, well most of them ;) .

I have many other things I devote my time to where Christmas lights just won't leap frog for higher status- hence the "Mr. Chrsitmas" this year- and I live in a gated community where traffic is not constant- this is for my grands, neighbors and family that visit on the holidays. The "MC" is not terrible, just wanted more, better sounding sequences.

If I decide to get deeper into the hobby, well, I will. Just not now. Thanks for the input, but I have no plans to have custom sequences made or spend mutiple hours editing other sequences- the out of the box, uneditable or free are enough for me.

Guest Don Gillespie

Jim with things falling down at your display how do you afford it LOL :P

• Like 1

Jim with things falling down at your display how do you afford it LOL :P

lol..that's why they couldn't afford me..to many return trips to "fix" things... lol

Edited by jimswinder

but I have no plans to spend mutiple hours editing sequences-

Hmmm..I remember saying something like that many years ago... :blink:

Just to play devils advocate here, but you could program a display without music, and have very simple color fades or other basic programming, that wouldn't take very long at all.

Take a 'simple' static display, add a second color to everything in the display. A quick program to change/fade between the colors and you have a display that you can change in many ways, all without using music, and could be done pretty quickly in the LOR software.

What is this "Plug and Play" you speak of? ;)

You get to work out your frustrations with the kinks in your program, PITA setup, and troubleshooting while cursing all along the way. Then friends, family, neighbors and kids say something to the like of "I really enjoy your setup. Great job!" And you can't wait to get started on next year. :)

As they said, you end up tweaking most sequences for your display. Or make your own sequences and enjoy watching the results.

You can always pay someone to sequence the songs for your display though $20 - $35 a song can add up quick.

I used to be an avid scuba diver, got into this addiction, haven't been in the water going on over 1 1/2 yrs. I miss it a little, I have more fun with this hobby and others get to enjoy it too.