Light-O-Rama Forums

Well I just lost everything!

Jason Burge

Sorry to hear this. It is so much work to lose on top of everything else.

Lightning took out everything electric that was plugged into an outlet in our house once, something was lose on the wire coming in they said, it even took out the clock.

I make the kids sit in the middle of the house away from all windows during lightning storms, won't put a bed near a window in case a storm comes in the middle of the night. And don't believe that it won't hit a vehicle either because it will.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason Burge

• scubado

• Karenwatt

• harrison0550

Something very similar happened to us last year. I had an accident in October 2011 (fell off the $%^^ roof). Well I wasn't home for more than a week when the the Sno-tober storm hit the Northeast and dumped 20+ on us. The oak leaves were still on the trees! The neighbors 24" oak uprooted, fell towards our house, took out a 10"-er, the garage and house roof. A 2" branch went thru the basement and missed the power panel by about 8". After fighting with the insurance company, we finally had a roof by the Christmas.

Hang in there my friend. The items are replaceable.

Sorry to hear this. Insurance should definitely cover this - we had a lot of lightning damage claims growing up and finally they figured out the house wasn't wired properly inside the meter box ever since it had been built (about 20 years prior). But insurance always covered the stuff, minus the deductible.

Sorry for your loss. That SUCKS! I do have to admit, when I first read your post, the first thought I had was...How sweet would it have been if the lightning struck right as the last song finished? Talk about the coolest ending to a show! Ever!

Thanks guys. I have called my insurance agent and he is sending a claims adjuster tomorrow. I am just really bummed out! It took me five years to build up to where I was and I was very happy with this years setup. 3 ccrs , 4 16pc's, 3 ctbd's, 2 cmb's and a lot of ext. cords and lights. They died an ugly death!(and they all stink like sh** now)

Please post the insurance claim online, it would make my day to see a line item that reads "gazillion miles of extension cords"!!

Sorry to hear this.

I have all my computer equipment connected to surge suppressors. They are supposed to protect against lightning.

What I don't understand is this -- The lightning has already jumped thousands of feet through the air, how is the circuitry in the surge suppressors going to stop it? Maybe Max or someone knowledgeable in electronics can answer this.

They usually claim on the boxes they will replace equipment up to a some high dollar figure - much more than I have connected to it. My guess is that it doesn't really stop the lightning and they are playing the percentages.

Jerry

We had some thunderstorms today and when I got home I expected a mess but not what I saw...... My biggest tree has been hit by lightning and ALL of my Light-O-Rama, my new computer with dual monitors, and some tv's are FRIED!!! This is just devastating, I feel sick to my stomach. Of course things could have been much worse, the house is fine and I am very thankful for that. I never thought anything like this would ever happen.

Any pictures worth looking at? Just curious what a smoked LOR controller looks like.

Surge protectors generally wont do too much for you during a lightning stike. They are more for an acutal power line surge. Get a good quality UPS. APC will warrant stuff connected to them for far greater than the items thats plugged in. Not to mention the benefit of the UPS itself. I have a UPS on every PC, server and 50" plasma.

Surge protectors generally wont do too much for you during a lightning stike. They are more for an acutal power line surge. Get a good quality UPS. APC will warrant stuff connected to them for far greater than the items thats plugged in. Not to mention the benefit of the UPS itself. I have a UPS on every PC, server and 50" plasma.

Ok, but, I still don't undertand how a UPS will stop lightning that has already jumped thousands of feet through the air.

Jerry

Edited by LORisAwesome

Sorry to hear what happend. I will Pray that everything goes alright for you and with your claim with your insurance co.

Have you considered looking into getting a whole house surge protector.

Ok, but, I still don't undertand how a UPS will stop lightning that has already jumped thousands of feet through the air.

Jerry

This might provide some info on how a TVSS (surge suppressor) works

http://tools.passand...eq=2&cur_page=4

Edited by TitusCarnathan

So sorry this happened to you. I guess a mega tree does make a good lightning rod. Look at it this way, if it wasn't there it might have hit your house.

Here are some pictures.

ccr power supply was attached to the house.I found it hanging loke this with the cover missing.

http://i1283.photobu...zpsf7dd0197.jpg

Picture of the tree

http://i1283.photobu...zps54ff9d9f.jpg

Literally blew the bulbs out of the sockets and some of the sockets are missing completely.

http://i1283.photobu...zpsff8a2b43.jpg

Another picture of the pine tree gash.

http://i1283.photobu...zpsdc2a01eb.jpg

Edited by Jason Burge

DANG. Wow. I bet I speak for all of us when I say I wish I could write you a check, brotha, and put you back in business. Damn.

I am so glad you posted this, we just got the Weber tree up and now there is a thunderstorm in the forecast! So I have not hooked a controller to it and I am not going to until it is over.

Look at it this way. When we had a F4 tornado whip out everything we had we got all new stuff. Make sure you over price everything for the insurance because if you don't they will hose you. If you purchased a controller at the sale, put down regular price plus approximate shipping as your total. If you put the sale price thats the max you are going to get. Don't group everything together IE you have 6 software titles to replace, total $600. What most insurance does is split that 6 ways so so max is 100 per software. If one software is $200 and 5 are $80. They will give you $100 for the $200 software and $80 for the others. You just lost $100. They want you to group stuff so they can average. Itemize everything and over estimate.

Edited by friskybri