Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM Transmitter

jsachs82

Got it. I will revisit this after the holidays. I really appreciate everyones help with this though. You have all giving me alot of info and education with my EDM. I am still very surprised EDM did not email me any info on this unit or include some sort of instructions. For such a great piece of technology, it seems there letting the end user "me" know some of the basics has been left out.

But again thanks all and i will keep my fingers crossed that this unit is not tosted and i can get what i was hoping to from this unit.

I just received and installed my EDM several days ago. I have mine sitting just a few inches from my Laptop and the monitor of a PC beside that. I'm not getting any hum and I didn't do anything to the power cord. I still think the noise you are getting is a result of the antenna. My first antenna I tried to build created a bad noise over top of the audio. So I changed the antenna design and it made a huge difference. If you look at my thread where I described the antenna I built you can make one fairly cheap. I even gave part numbers.

Guest Don Gillespie

I just received and installed my EDM several days ago. I have mine sitting just a few inches from my Laptop and the monitor of a PC beside that. I'm not getting any hum and I didn't do anything to the power cord. I still think the noise you are getting is a result of the antenna. My first antenna I tried to build created a bad noise over top of the audio. So I changed the antenna design and it made a huge difference. If you look at my thread where I described the antenna I built you can make one fairly cheap. I even gave part numbers.

If you read the manual it says to keep the EDM away from the computer

Edited by Don Gillespie

As I had a ton of time on my hands today being on vacation and all, I decided to build the Dipole antenna using the instructions on the DIYC wiki. Didn't cost me a dime, just 2 hours as the materials were already laying around as scrap from other projects.

Just tested it out and WOW did that make a difference in sound quality. I was using the EDM test antenna up until this point, but there is an audible difference in fidelity. I'm going to test it out tonight on some other FM radios besides my car and see if it makes any noticable difference.

Also, friskybri's advice is very sound (get it!?, you have got to keep the input level low as the EDM has line level inputs. I ran into that as well in my quest to optimize my audio.

Yeah I read the manual but you know how they are always over cautious in manuals. Once again I'll trust real world testing. No reason to go out and buy a cable to extend the transmitter away from the PC if you have great sound. And I just checked the output level on my laptop...it's at 74. But there are right and left input gain pots on the EDM and I had adjusted mine down as part of tuning my signal. Just look at the attached photo. The EDM is sitting in between a 27" monitor and a laptop behind a Bose speaker and almost on top of a backup hard drive....and it's working great.

And I see someone else just posted that they built a dipole antenna and it's working great. So there's 2 of us.

what kind of an adapter are you using to plug into the transmitter? the test antenna looks like an RCA plug but longer so how are you plugging in Coax? I've been to Radio Shackand they can't seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance

Can one of the experts answer the coax directly to the transmitter antenna portal. The test antenna pleg looks very unique. Is there an adaptor that is used or how does that work??

Guest wbottomley

Just remember, to have a broadcast transmission be very effective, a properly tuned antenna, coax and connectors will need to be 50 ohm. Most of the ones you get cheap are 75ohm.

Just remember, to have a broadcast transmission be very effective, a properly tuned antenna, coax and connectors will need to be 50 ohm. Most of the ones you get cheap are 75ohm.

okay, so 50 ohm, coax and 50 ohm antenna...as long of a male end that is on the RCA plug for the test antenna, i wasn't sure that basic Coax F connector to RCA would work since the male end of the RCA plug is shorter. Thank you for the help

You can pick these up from our friends at Radioshack depending on your needs.

Coax F connector to RCA

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2103467

Or put one on your RG59 yourself

http://www.radioshac...oductId=3964483

Thank you the input, wasn't sure the RCA plug was long enough as it is shorter than the plug on the Test Antenna..but perhaps that is a non event and I will go with what you guys are saying...thanks again

I had my volume up at 75%. I turned it down after reading this. How do you know if your EDM is fried? I still get a signal with a noticeable hum. I still have to cut down my antenna to fit my frequency, so I'll test it further later.

Did you try turning down your output volume from computer down to say 20-30%. I don't have an EDM but if I have over 30% on my cheapo transmitter mine distorts pretty bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a hum problem with my xmiter and it is not an EDM.. turned out to be the jack on my laptop.. I would up giggling the plug by accident and the hum went away.. completely gone.

This thread has been cleaned up and locked.

Remember: The primary rule in these forums is that there be no personal attacks for lack of knowledge, spelling, grammar or anything.

If you feel you've reached this recording in error, please disconnect from the forum and try your post again.