Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM Transmitter

jsachs82

Hello everyone,

I added an EDM Transmitter to my set up this year. I also order a J Pole antenna for this. Issue i am running into is i can only get signal for about 150ft. I spent alot of money on a custom antenna tuned to my frequency and i have no clue why this unit only works as good as my old whole house transmitter. Any ideas? This antenna was on the outside of my house and on the top of my 2 story house and still only made about a 150ft range. Antenna is now inside and i have the same distance. Is there any tricks someone might us.

Hello everyone,

I added an EDM Transmitter to my set up this year. I also order a J Pole antenna for this. Issue i am running into is i can only get signal for about 150ft. I spent alot of money on a custom antenna tuned to my frequency and i have no clue why this unit only works as good as my old whole house transmitter. Any ideas? This antenna was on the outside of my house and on the top of my 2 story house and still only made about a 150ft range. Antenna is now inside and i have the same distance. Is there any tricks someone might us.

I had the same problem with mine...haven't figured out how to make it work more distance. I'll be following your thread

Got the edm last year, worked great. Whole neighborhood. This year not so much it isn't performing nearly as I would like it to, I have tried about 5 antennas already this year. I'm about to hook it up to my mega tree pole! Jk

Guest Don Gillespie

tell us how you have this hooked up, are you using an inline volume control? do you have the computer volume at around 20 -25%? some people use the J-pole antenea some people use the test antenea that came with the transmitter, (this is what I am using the test antenea, and have no trouble with it for the last two years.) the more info you can provide the better answer you will recieve.

I am using the EDM with the test antenna and when I first had it set up it was in my kitchen area and I was not getting very good reception at all so I moved it out to the garage and now I am probably broadcasting to far. I am not sure if there was to much interference in the kitchen or what the issue was but it is working good now.

Ok well here is my set up. I made the coax cable myself running from the Antenna to the transmitter (I tried 2 diffrent cables to verify cable is not the issue), My FM transmitter has a 3.5 mini going from computer output to transmitter which is probably about a 20 foot run. I ran that cable long so i could keep the transmitter close to the antenna so the antenna cable would stay on the shorter end. Antenna cable is about 5 ft. long from FM transmitter to J pole antenna. The EDM and Antenna are now set up in a room in my house with nothing else in it. :(

I have also tried using this on the ground floor opposed to the second floor of my house making the cable lengths for both PC to EDM 1 foot and EDM to J pole 5 ft with no change to signal ever.. :(

Any ideas?

How does the computers output volume effect range? My Volume is at 80% as i also transmit to an amp outside.

Guest Don Gillespie

Volume on the computer may have damaged the transmitter you have to keep the volume on the computer between 20 - 25% if you are using outdoor speakers you need to use a receiver to pick up the signal from the EDM transmitter and controll your outside volume throught the receiver, there have been many discusions on this I can only hope you haven't fried your EDM transmitter.

How does the computers output volume effect range? My Volume is at 80% as i also transmit to an amp outside.

Can't explain why (somebody else will) but many people report that reducing the volume greatly improves both quality and range of transmission.

As part of my troubleshooting, I would try just using the test wire antenna hooked directly to the EDM (therefore eliminating any cable to the antenna) and stretched straight up (mounting it vertically, and not attached to any metal), and then hook up a mp3 player to the input of the EDM (using a short cord). Try this in different locations (indoors, garage, etc). Also try setting your EDM to different frequencies. This will allow you to eliminate/adjust some different variables that could be causing your problem.

EDM Transmitter Problems.

First thing to check is the volume on the PC.

It should not be more than 25%.

You stated that you are running yours at 80%

You are over driving the input stage of the EDM.

As Don stated you will be lucky if you did not fry the transmitter.

Your audio cable run to the transmitter as stated by you, is 20 FT.

I would shorten that up a bit. Try to keep the transmitter closer to the PC.

You do not want to try to use your PC to drive the amp for your outdoor speakers.

You need to have a receiver to pick up your own broadcast frequency and run your outdoor speakers from that and adjust your volume accordingly.

You said that you made your own run of coax going from your transmitter to your antenna. What type of coax did you use? You need to match the coax to the transmitter and your antenna. RG 59 U would be a good choice. When you soldered the ends to your coax are you sure that you did not accidently bridge the center conductor with the shield? It could happen. I have an EDM and I have it hooked to an outside antenna with the proper coax on a 50 Ft. run.

The sound quality is almost as good as the commercial stations and the range is more than enough.

Just my thoughts on your problem.

Volume on the computer may have damaged the transmitter you have to keep the volume on the computer between 20 - 25% if you are using outdoor speakers you need to use a receiver to pick up the signal from the EDM transmitter and controll your outside volume throught the receiver, there have been many discusions on this I can only hope you haven't fried your EDM transmitter.

Don, howwould one know if they fried the transmitter? Would it not work at all?? If it were just shoddy transmission, there may not be a difference from where it is now, thus unable to tell if its shot or not.

Ok well i have a crazy hum coming out of this unit at this point? Any ideas. I wonder why this did not come with any directions, seems like this unit is very touchy. I have heard people say EDM sends an email with instructions, but i recieved nothing. Volume is at 22% on computer and hum is louder then audio coming out of the computer. Plus to note, my EDM is now connected 12" from the unit. Please help!!!!

Thank you very much, i just printed this out as it is handy to have. Still no clue why this unit hums, i added a Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator to try and get rid of this noise but cant seem to get rid of it. I think this unit might need to be sent in for repair.. To bad its brand new.

I am not getting great range out of my transmitter, last year I was doing great. I had it on a 2 day trip in the middle of the year, prolly overkill but we needed something for the car. Other people were operating it the whole time. Likley above 80% on their iPods. Is there a part to replace to fix it or should I send it back to edm? How is there service? I know it has a really long warranty though.

I experienced a hum as well. Wrapped the power cord around one of these ferrite cores and hum went away. Wrapped power cord through it 2 times, 4 inches from where it goes into the transmitter. Worked for me, might not solve your concern.

Ferrite Core 1/4" Cord Noise Suppressor

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=110-450&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D

I experienced a hum as well. Wrapped the power cord around one of these ferrite cores and hum went away. Wrapped power cord through it 2 times, 4 inches from where it goes into the transmitter. Worked for me, might not solve your concern.

Ferrite Core 1/4" Cord Noise Suppressor

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=110-450&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D

The power cord? Not the audio cable or antenna?

The DC power cord. I stopped playing with it once I wrapped it, and it worked perfectly. I left about 4" of cord between the core and the DC plug, Like I mentioned, my hum, might not be your hum, but this worked for me.

Ok, seems that the issue of excessive audio level out of the computer has been addressed. Also possible hum from the D.C. supply cord. Now there are two last issues to address. Get the transmitter away from the computer. I think you said something about 1', is that the audio cable? I would go for a 6 or better yet 12' away from the computer. Then 5 or 10' of coax between antenna and transmitter. As you know and maybe others do not. Coax will eat some of the RF power and by adding to much coax, you negate any gains.

Been many years ago, but as best as I can remember it, its like this. Amplitude is now translated to frequency shifting from a reference frequency. The louder the more the frequency shifts from that reference frequency. AKA deviation of frequency. The receiver is built to only receive so much deviation. Best way I can say this is, you can only hear up to say 16,000 hz and if I turn up the volume, the frequency will go above 16,000 and you cant hear it any more. Might not be the best way to explain it, but its the best I can do at this time after so many years out of school.