Hardware utility

Judy

I have upgraded to 3.8.0

Added to last years songs

Now up to 5 controllers.

Performed a refresh using hardware utility and found all 5 controllers. Once refreshed, used the console button and lights go on. When I close out of utility, then re-open - it does not show the 5 controllers. Then I do another refresh. This is happening on both of my computers.

Then try to play a sequence and nothing happens

Have tested all cables to controllers and appear fine.

Any ideas. I am out of time.

Thanks all

#1. The HWU does not automatically find controllers, you will always have to do a refresh to locate them. At least I have *always* had to use the refresh every time I use the HWU to locate mine.

#2. On the SE, do you have Control Lights checked? If you don't, the SE will not light anything plugged to the controllers. Go to the Play tab, then click on Control Lights {if there is not a check mark next to it, it's not controlling lights} and once checked your sequence should play through controlling all lights connected to your controllers.

#3. Also what license level do you have? Basic will control 2 controllers, Basic+ will not control over 4 controllers. Standard should control up to 8 controllers and Advanced is unlimited Controllers.

Edited by Orville

Two thoughts. If you close the Hardware Utility and then re-open it you will always have to refresh the list to see the controllers that are currently hooked up so nothing osounds wrong there.

When you say "try to play a sequence and nothing happens" I assume you mean play it out of out of the Sequence Editor (and that the HU is closed). If this is so, you need to make sure that "play lights" is selected in the Sequence editor otherwise it won't play thel ights.

Post more details if I made bad assumptions.

Man I hate being a slow typist!!!! What he said....

Not to ruffle any feathers or anything but I never have to refresh. I can close the hu out, do whatever I want, open it back up and have full control of all controllers without having to refresh. The controllers don't show back up in the hu list but you can still control them. The only time I have to refresh is when I have unplugged a controller or 2....i can see its easy to think you have to every time. Heck, I did for a while. Let me know what your experiences are

Not to ruffle any feathers or anything but I never have to refresh. I can close the hu out, do whatever I want, open it back up and have full control of all controllers without having to refresh. The controllers don't show back up in the hu list but you can still control them. The only time I have to refresh is when I have unplugged a controller or 2....i can see its easy to think you have to every time. Heck, I did for a while. Let me know what your experiences are

How do you control them if they aren't in the list to select them?

Interesting. I always have to refresh to "see" them again. Would expect the design of the HU when it closes is to "release" the controllers for control by other parts of the LOR software.

To Scott's question, if you can't see them, and have multiple connected, how do you select which one you control?

You can type in a controller ID, and send commands without ever doing the refresh.

The only persistant data from one session to another is the setting for your regular network com port.

You can type in a controller ID, and send commands without ever doing the refresh.

The only persistant data from one session to another is the setting for your regular network com port.

That is my experience too. If you want to see what controllers LOR software sees, do the refresh. If you're going to test some lights or channels on a known controller that you suspect is working, just enter the controller number in the ID field, and control what you need to.

D.T.

#2. On the SE, do you have Control Lights checked? If you don't, the SE will not light anything plugged to the controllers. Go to the Play tab, then click on Control Lights {if there is not a check mark next to it, it's not controlling lights} and once checked your sequence should play through controlling all lights connected to your controllers.

Judy responding. Okay I did this while in the sequence editor. Checked the control lights. Closed the sequence out, re-opened it and the "control lights" is no longer checked. Is that normal?

Thanks

Max, in SE I have only had to check control lights once in the 4 years I've been using LOR. Once checked it should save it as a default. Now the once does not include HDD crashes and re-installation, but once selected, that's it.

If the network configuration has a com port defined that is not present, control lights will uncheck.

If you don't have the LOR Dongle {USB485 or whichever LOR 485 you use} present and connected, klb is absolutely correct, the control lights WILL uncheck as soon as you start the sequence. If the dongle isn't there, then nothing can be controlled since it is required to control the lights on the controllers. Without the USB485 the comm port to it is not present, therefore nothing to control through the network because the SE sees no active network to work with and control.

Max, in SE I have only had to check control lights once in the 4 years I've been using LOR. Once checked it should save it as a default. Now the once does not include HDD crashes and re-installation, but once selected, that's it.

Disconnect your USB485 or whicher LOR 485 Dongle you use and I guarantee you it will uncheck when the sequence is played. Without the dongle there is no comm port, and no controllers to control the lights with. Plug in the dongle and you'll have to recheck the Control Lights, as long as the dongle remains connected to the computer, Control Lights will never uncheck once set, but removing the dongle, also releases the comm port it uses, then the Control Lights will uncheck in the SE.

I just tried it several times and that is exactly how it works.