Light-O-Rama Forums

Best way to add wireless switch to LOR

roknjohn

In order to keep visitors off of the neighbors lawns, I've had to place strings of lighted candy canes along the road on their property. (Fire department has placed dozens of 3ft orange cones and city had strung up rope and flags - real eye sore). Anyway, the neighbors like the candy canes better, but they are connected to their power. The issue is, now they have to turn them on and off.

Other than a timer, is there anything that I can use so that LOR can turn them off and on? Keep in mind that these are located across the street. I live on a corner lot, so I have three across the street neighbors that I need to control - i.e. the other three corner lots.

There are no controllers over there. And I don't need any dimming, etc, during the shows.

In order to keep visitors off of the neighbors lawns, I've had to place strings of lighted candy canes along the road on their property. (Fire department has placed dozens of 3ft orange cones and city had strung up rope and flags - real eye sore). Anyway, the neighbors like the candy canes better, but they are connected to their power. The issue is, now they have to turn them on and off.

Other than a timer, is there anything that I can use so that LOR can turn them off and on? Keep in mind that these are located across the street. I live on a corner lot, so I have three across the street neighbors that I need to control - i.e. the other three corner lots.

There are no controllers over there. And I don't need any dimming, etc, during the shows.

Maybe something like this ?

Note these are 240v and have Irish sockets so you'd have to source an American version....

Oh and LOR couldn't control them, to allow LOR to control them you'd have to use X10 control.

Edited by spomalley

The task can be done with DMX controlled switches that a member of the Aussie boards made. The cost of doing this is not low though. It would be much much much cheaper to use a $5 timer from lowes or homedepot than adding 3 wireless switches, and 3 dmx controlls to just turn off a string of lights. If you were doing them with the sequence Im sure you can justify it, but just to turn off some lights its going to be expensive. As for them complaining about the power of candycanes, come on really? You need to move from those scrooges

Thanks for the advice, Goof. I think the timer is probably the best approach. BTW, the neighbors weren't complaining about power consumption. They were complaining about people parking the cars on their lawns. Last year, several sprinkler heads were ruined and wet nights made for ruts and such. This year, the town as made our street one way during the evenings to allow viewers to stay on the street, while allowing for people to leave as needed. This works great, BTW. (It's great to live in a small town.)

The issue is that the orange cones and police tape streamers looked like crap. No something that I wanted my neighbors (or myself) to endure all season. So I replaced them with 48 candy canes on 3 different properties. These look much better and serve the same purpose. The neighbors are pleased. The problem now however is the neighbors are now responsible for turning these on at night (plugging/unplugging). They forget, or may be away, or leave them on all day, etc. I don't want to burden them with having to do that. Timers should solve the problem.

Sprinkers can get pricey very fast. At least there is a happy metting place with the candy canes. One of my neighbors across the street isnt real happy about my new display. I bought him heavy curtains.

Have you thought about using ELLs, from LOR? They can extend your LOR network across the street to your neighbors wirelessly.

Check it out.

D.T.