Light-O-Rama Forums

Trying to get the lights to match the beat

Gina Burns

Ok, I have read the forums on both Planet Christmas and here and I am still having a hard time with sequencing! Right now I am trying to sequence out O Come All Ye Faithful -TSO. Started working on it last night when I got home and at 10:45 pm I had only gotten about 45 seconds of the song done and there are still areas that are not on time. Any advice?! Tips?! Anything ....:P

Hi Gena –

Here are a few suggestions:

1) Listen to a few seconds of the song to get an idea of the sound and to visualize what you want to do. Also, you should be very familiar with the song (to the point that your family is sick of hearing the song!)

2) Make sure the wav form is visible when you are sequencing. That way you can line up your columns with the visitation of the wav form.

3) Make sure your song is in a wav format so you can slow it down when sequencing. Slow the playback to ½ speed often to make it easier to match the beat to the command.

4) Sequence the channels that correspond to the main theme or beat of the song first. When you are happy with them you can go back and fill in the other channels to make the song interesting.

5) Some sections may require ¼ speed to be sure sequence matches the beats or theme. But things get ‘muddy’ when all the frequencies are at that low and slow speed.

6) Even if things aren’t perfect, continue working forward. After you have several seconds programmed you can go back and listen and watch with a more critical eye.

7) You will find that your creativity will grow as you continue sequencing. You may end up going back and changing a few things as you grow more confident. But the learning is part of the fun!

8) Most songs have a good deal of repetition. Don’t be afraid to copy/paste sections of the sequencing into other sections of the song that are the same. Be careful of timing! Musicians are human and sometime the tempo changes as the song progresses.

9) Don’t sequence for more than a few hours at a time. This (coupled with the placement of your outside lights) is the most creative thing you will do for your display! So don’t rush it. Impatient in sequencing will result in a less than dazzling display.

10) Now for the most important item: Lots and lots of planning! Some may label this hobby as an obsession, but it is really just a passion. It is an endeavor that requires lots of thought and planning and some of your most creative sequencing ideas may come at unexpected moments. So when a brilliant idea or sequencing combination hits you, be sure to jot it down so you can utilize it when you get back to your computer.

There are many more things that will help --- but part of the fun is the discovery. Also, you will find that times flies when you are sequencing…good thing, because you will probably find that you will spend alot of time to sequence one minute song It takes me 2 to 3 hours per minute - but that depends upon how many channels you have. I have 80 so it takes me that long. Enjoy the journey!

- Dave

Thanks for the advice....how do I get the waveform to work....I tried opening it up last night and on the top of the graph it said converting but it wasn't converting...I hope I am making sense

You can either click on the "View Wave Form" button or select "View" and click on "Wave Form" (make sure it is checked).

What format is your song in: MP3 or WAV? It should be a WAV file to use the slower speed option in LOR. If it is not, you will have to convert it. There are several good suggestions on programs that will do that on other threads.

- Dave

Dave your right. everyone here needs help. That why we post. showing off isn't needed. we stride to better ourself and learn from one another and to share what we learned. from how to copy , where to find a fm reciever and where to find songs or sequences.

I am new to doing sequences, only been doing it since January. but I've learned and shared what knowledge I found and paid it foward. That's what this forum is all about.

Attached files 138912=8271-sig1lor9mm.gif

I couldn’t agree more! Last year was my first…only 32 channels (only!). This year I am up to 80 and anxiously awaiting DMX to add a few LED fill lights to highlight my house.

Last years display was a snowflake theme with 12 rope light snowflakes, mini lights, rope lights, strobes, chase snowflake strings, C7’s and spotlights. This year I am adding two 12foot mega trees (8 clear channels, one blue, red and green channels and a star), four 20foot arches (14 channels and two color rope channels), a Bethlehem star and a 5-point star for the roof, and 8 small trees (8 channels and two channels of color floods), and a fog machine to make the laser show up better!

I have already sequenced two 14minute musical montages and I am reworking a montage from last year. I edited some of the songs for time and cross-faded the music for a better flow. I enjoy seeing what songs others are sequencing too, so here is a list of my musical montages and maybe you will find it interesting:

2007 (1st Mix)

Mannheim Steamroller – White Christmas

Mapa – Sleigh Ride

Mannheim Steamroller – Good King Wenceslas

Celtic Woman – Away In A Manger

Canadian Brass – Jingle Bells

Trans-Siberian Orchestra – Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desire

Chicago Symphony – Hallelujah

2007 (2nd Mix)

Mannheim Steamroller – O Tannenbaum (edit)

National Philharmonic Brass of Londen – For Unto Us A Child Is Born

Choir Of Kings College – Coventry Carol (edit)

David Foster – Carol Of The Bells

Trans-Siberian Orchestra – Mad Russian Christmas

2006 (to be resequenced)

Vince Guaraldi – Christmas Time (Linus and Lucy) (edit)

(Unknown Orchestra) – Sugar Plum Fairies

Mannheim Steamroller – Deck the Halls

Vince Guaraldi – O Christmas Tree

Vienna Choir – Christmas Bells

Trans-Siberian Orchestra – Wizards of Winter

I agree with many of the what many others are saying. Sequencing is a long, hard process - especially if you are musically challeged, like me, but not impossible. Read the materials carefully that came with your boards. LightORama maintains a how to at: http://www.lightorama.com/support.html

Here is a site that has about 120 sequences for you, just supply the music:

http://www.lightoramasequences.com/

Also, e-mail or pm me and I'll try to help you thru your difficulties.

I was watching some kids on skate boards and I could see a row of trees I have in my display. I made some notes, ran home and it has taken me two weeks to sequence there skate boarding actions. Have I lost my mind or did I just have a creative moment.

Gina I have had a few issues as of late trying to sequence this year. Last year I sequenced (8) songs with approx. 90 channels. This year I have seemed to run into a problem hearing the timing - I spoke with a friend who is into music more than most and I came up with a way to start the process which has helped alot.

I am programming 'The Drifters - White Christmas' from Home Alone.

First I listen for the timing or beat of the song which is usually a constant beat from start to finish and I use the tapper wizard for that. that was my first beat then I went back and used the tapper wizard to get the vocals down which was my second beat and third I did the basic beat of the song that you would snap your fingers too.

Next I broke down my show into sections - I think it is very difficult to pick a 10 to 20 second section of the song and program all channels - I have (10) 4' tree's that are the center of attention on my show that are Red, Green and White - I program the vocals first with my blowmolds through the entire song then come back and do the 4' tree's through. Once those two are done then I can tie everything else together.

I think programming is all about layout - I have tried the wave button and I can't figure it out - The Tapper Wizard has been very helpful. If you would like to see the song I am working on - just email me and I can send it too you.

The first time I programmed I had too look at someone's sequence to understand it.

Bill

That would be great! How do you separate the beats? Did you separate the beats or just listen to a particular on? Ya'll have been the best! Thank you so much for everything!

What I've done on my 192 channels is to make a blank channel for each of the beats like Bill said. I made one blank channel for each beat because if I went to the second set of beats on top of my first one I lost all that work I did at the beginning. Like Bill layed out three beats I would have three blank channels for each one. It just helps me to keep things stright and clean.

here's a post done awhile ago from marty slack.

If you attended the Light-O-Rama Sequencing class at PLUS 2007 you'll remember that I promised to make the sequence we built available. My grown-up job got in the way so it took me a little while. The Sequence File and Audio File are now on my website where they can be downloaded. The sequence file is a "Starter" sequence, so you will be able to adapt it to your own display if you want.

To download the file go to http://www.christmasutah.com, click on "How To" (or scroll down the page until you see "Marty's How To"), and follow the link to the LOR Files and Tutorial. The sequence we used in the class is the first one listed in the downloads section. I also included the student handout if you need a review.

The tutorial from my Coro class is also there.

LET'S LIGHT UP THE WORLD!

Attached files 138943=8281-sig1lor9mm.gif

James - Last year I had 90 channels and this year 128 - This year I do much more scrolling up and down - I could not imagine you with 192 channels.

It's just a matter breaking things into sections for programming and visualization.

Bill

• 1 month later...

If it wasn't for all the help I've received from my new frends at LOR I wouldn't have gone as far as I have and next year will be bigger. We are light years ahead of everyone else on our displays and it is because we can come together find ideas, work out problems and make frends. I too am very thankfull to everyone for everything.