Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR lagging with large pixel count

Dr. Jones

Other than the initial loading Im not having any slow down in the show. I have a few songs where there is a lot of action and I see no stuck pixels, lag in the show, or loss of sync with the audio. Im 100% 1.31 I have no lor controllers on my network. Now my home network takes a beating with lightorama running but thats not LORS fault, I should have that on its own network.

I am running 1536 pixels, and was definitely seeing lags on the busy portions with the computer I was going to use. The odd thing is it would work 95% of the time or better, but when it choked - it REALLY choked. For example, one sequence ended with a few second "butterfly" effect generated by Nutcracker. Lor would play the first few frames, then everything would stall for about 10 seconds. The music would finish, and then suddenly the sequencing would rush to complete at hyperspeed.

Moving to my desktop which is faster/newer solved the problem. So I'm guessing you have a horsepower issue.

• Like 1

I am running 1536 pixels, and was definitely seeing lags on the busy portions with the computer I was going to use. The odd thing is it would work 95% of the time or better, but when it choked - it REALLY choked. For example, one sequence ended with a few second "butterfly" effect generated by Nutcracker. Lor would play the first few frames, then everything would stall for about 10 seconds. The music would finish, and then suddenly the sequencing would rush to complete at hyperspeed.

Moving to my desktop which is faster/newer solved the problem. So I'm guessing you have a horsepower issue.

1440 pixels (e1.31)+ 940 dmx + 320 lor channels = a lot... I am getting hanging channels(like i did witin 08) and an approx 5 second lag on the e.131 channels

1440 pixels (e1.31)+ 940 dmx + 320 lor channels = a lot... I am getting hanging channels(like i did witin 08) and an approx 5 second lag on the e.131 channels

So you have about 5500 channels. I have about 4800 and am running flawlessly with the fast computer. I still say try an upgrade...

Im going with Tim, time for more power out of the PC. As well what is the network setup, not that we are exceding the output of the system but it could be a bottleneck in the hardware that you are approaching. Whats you PC setup?

I have run into issue but my sequences are on a network drive. I just move them to the local drive if I am doing a major editing. A fast computer and components are always key. I didn't have these issues with my halloween sequences but those were 4 min at most. My christmas ones are 6 minutes and the file size is up to 50Mb.

Im running 1213 pixels total, my biggest sequence is 132 meg and no lag issue. With the visualizer playing with the show Ive not seen it hiccup. Again power might be the cure. i7 Gen3 core 3770k, 16 gigs ram, 2terabyte hard drive. This is how I a few of us did the testing early on with 1.31 was wide open to do what we can to slow it down. I believe Jeff Millard, WBottomly are running a ton of pixels as well.

I'm running 6 CCRs and 4 CCPs with 6 LOR controllers and see a lag at a few key points. I saw a suggestion by Max-Paul that suggested staggering a few commands at those points to help out -- and it has worked for me a little. i.e. when switching from a single lighted segment macro (value 1) to individual pixels (value 0) I try to do that a little before all of the channels individually send out their commands. And if it is a big amount of things comming on at the same time, try to stagger some a little before/after by a tiny fraction to spread out the commands.

Lastly, I have just ordered another USB converter to start a second network, seperating the CCPs from the CCRs. I will try to post back here if I get good results, but I figured I'd try this $30 fix before looking in to gettting a bigger computer - which coud ultimately be the problem...

Good luck.

I have two main computers that contribute to my show. My new HP Pavilion on Win7 64bit with a Core i5 and 8gb of DDR3 is my primary sequencing machine. It takes a few seconds to load a sequence into the editor, but everything else works extremely well and NO LAG.

My second computer is the one that I actually run the show from. An older (3 years?) Acer Aspire on Win7 64bit, with a dual core AMD and 2gb of DDR2. It runs the show flawlessly, with no lag, but can take up to 45 seconds to load a sequence in the editor when I decide that I want to make some small tweaks without sending everything back to the other computer.

I have roughly 1,300 pixels, all E1.31 with no LOR hardware and I have not experienced any lag on either one, and they are quite a bit different from each other. Also, note that I do not route this traffic through my home network. I isolate the computer from my home network and control the show equipment directly from the computer. If I need to get online to download a new sequence that I've finished or something (I store them all on Dropbox so I can work on them anywhere), I unload LOR and re-enable wireless to separate the E1.31 traffic from everything else.

That sounds like a "Virtual Memory" time out. When Windows decides it is low on memory, it will stall everything while it copies data from RAM onto the hard drive, then frees up that RAM. More memory is usually the fix. Sometimes, creating a special User profile, with nothing loaded except LOR, will also help.

Perhaps this new Memory Leak update will help, also. I didn't download in time to test tonight.

Edited by JonB256

Interesting thought, Jon. I had 4GB on that machine, which I would think would be plenty for a light show, but who knows lol. The current computer I'm using has 8GB.

Interesting thought, Jon. I had 4GB on that machine, which I would think would be plenty for a light show, but who knows lol. The current computer I'm using has 8GB.

Tim

what software version are you using?

Guest wbottomley

Remember a conversation about computing power earlier in the year? A DMX adapter handles the processing load instead of the pc? With E1.31, the PC handles that.

It sounds like we will need more PC power to run an extreme amount of pixels or the software needs to catch up.

Does it matter if these "options" are used?

Sequences are loaded before they are played in the show editor.

Use compressed sequences in the control panel

Does it matter if these "options" are used?

Sequences are loaded before they are played in the show editor.

Use compressed sequences in the control panel

I use both of those options. The latter will improve my show loading time by several magnitudes. And the former puts any remaining delay at the start of the show, not between every song the first time through.