Light-O-Rama Forums

Cannot find controller in hardware utility

mendo15

So I connected my first controller and everything works great. I hooked up my second controller to the utility and it cannot find it. I have a USB485 adapter. I hooked the second controller through the adapter, nothing. I daisy chained them, and it can only find the first one.

I need help :(

Thank you

Did you set the address of the new controller? Controllers come with a default of UnitID 01, so if you haven't changed it, then you will see another "01".

Connect *only* the new controller to the 485, and set the address to 02. (Or whatever address you want.) Then connect the controllers in a daisy chain and you should see both of them.

Did you set the address of the new controller? Controllers come with a default of UnitID 01, so if you haven't changed it, then you will see another "01".

Connect *only* the new controller to the 485, and set the address to 02. (Or whatever address you want.) Then connect the controllers in a daisy chain and you should see both of them.

The new controller wont even show up on the hardware utility so I cannot change Unit ID. I connected the new controller only to the USB485 and it searches and says "unable to locate the light o rama port". It was a DIY kit could that be the problem? The led light on it does the exact same thing the working (my first controller) does...

If its a brand new (new or new construction) it wont show up until you number it. Plug everything in, open the HU, look, left side of the menu says "Assign NEW controller".. pick a number, (2) set it.. now refresh. Is it there?

If its a brand new (new or new construction) it wont show up until you number it. Plug everything in, open the HU, look, left side of the menu says "Assign NEW controller".. pick a number, (2) set it.. now refresh. Is it there?

I don't see the add new controller. How do I attach a picture on here to show what I see?

Look, left side.. below Setup Comm Port and Auto Configure button.

---------------------------------------------

SET UNIT IDs

For units without selectors

X (Check) Ignore Errors Box

Select New Unit ID, pull down menu, select number (would be 2), click Set Unit ID button

If you had to Change an existing Unit, you use the box below that one.

Edited by TJ Hvasta

In looking at your pic, it doesn't look like the HU found the controller. Is the LED on the controller steady on (not flashing)? Click the Refresh button and see what shows up. You set the ID number on the left side where it says Set Unit ID's. You enter the unit ID number you want and click the Set Unit ID button.

In looking at your pic, it doesn't look like the HU found the controller. Is the LED on the controller steady on (not flashing)? Click the Refresh button and see what shows up. You set the ID number on the left side where it says Set Unit ID's. You enter the unit ID number you want and click the Set Unit ID button.

The LED Blinks when I put power to it. Then goes steady on when I'm doing the auto configure when it searches COM 5. I refreshed and still says Found 0 Units.

Look, left side.. below Setup Comm Port and Auto Configure button.

---------------------------------------------

SET UNIT IDs

For units without selectors

X (Check) Ignore Errors Box

Select New Unit ID, pull down menu, select number (would be 2), click Set Unit ID button

If you had to Change an existing Unit, you use the box below that one.

Still nothing...

Since the LED is going solid, it does appear to be talking to the HU. It should allow you to set the unit ID number. Are any errors being displayed when you try to set the unit number?

Okay guys! Figured out what the problem was! Turns out there was a little solder running between two spots on the U2 socket! A very little bridge. My dad found it with a multimeter. Got a magnifying glass and there it was! Could barely be seen and I have 20/20 lol. I have a link with a picture of where it was. Sorry for bad picture. http://tinypic.com/r/acz7lw/6

Who would have thought of that! I even checked it three times and never saw it!

Well thanks to everyone who went ahead and tried helping a newbie with his controller.

I appreciate it you guys!

Martin