Light-O-Rama Forums

Buy Controller this late?

Christmas Lawyer

I have been following the forums and the technology here for a couple of years ...

Is it too late to realistically purchase a controller someplace? (LoR or elsewhere) and

expect it to ship out next day to get to me within 4-5 business days?

I've seen a couple on ebay which I have been outbid on....

I realize I still have to put the sequences (probably real simple free ones).

My lights are all up -- so I'd just be running the extension cords and getting the

software going on my laptop ....

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Tim

Tim,

I would order from LOR directly, no questions asked. Their customer service cannot be beat.

It's never too late, even to just get your feet wet in the middle of the peak season.

Go for it.

But just be aware, even the simple sequences can take some time to get going if your just starting out.

It's more than just running extension cords and software. I promise you that.

Good luck to ya.

Yes buy from LOR directly, second go ahead and download the software now! This way you'll have some type of feel for it when your controller gets there. Third start now to figure out what section of lights you want to run on which channel. That's just a few things that can help streamline your show and experience twinkling lights. Good luck and welcome aboard.

I agree, order directly from LOR.

Personally, I wouldn't want to try to get an anmated display up an running this late. I would start planning for next year.

There are a few vendors that have pre-sales on lights etc.... The pre-sales are about to start, if they are not already going. This is the best way to get quality light strings at a good price.

My recommendation is Creative Displays (aka CDI) http://www.creativedisplays.com/. Their pre-sale has not started yet, but it is coming soon. You pay 1/2 when you order and 1/2 when your order ships later in the year (usually summer time). The owner posted a few days ago regarding the pending pre-sale.

Jerry

• Like 1

I have a 17min gentle fades and transitions for 224 channels you could start with if you get a controller. Does a slow, gentle chase across a bunch of controllers.. each 16ch has its own fades/chase, it's just copied across each board... with a song medley. Its easy to set up and run, and it's my wind-down piece before the show ends. PM/email me if you want it.

Save your money and avoid Ebay for the moment. Just go directly through LOR. Even if you order a kit you have to finish yourself, such as the PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETE that isn't bad and should take you no more than an hour or two to complete. Where you might run into problems is having the extension cords to go from the controller to your display. One channel may require a run of 50'. You may have several channels needing 20' or more, depending upon how many channels you actually will be using.

Get the license level you think you will want and need. You can always start programming and sequencing while you are waiting on the controller. Take a look around at some of the various sites for free sequences too. BTW, I do believe LOR will include a couple sequences.

I had a late start too, truly getting underway in late October/early November. Now, either through my own sequencing or through the generosity of others and customizing work they have done, I'm up to 10 songs and growing.

Another option could be to by the Mr. Christmas Lights and Sounds (should be $100 at Home Depot) and wait until next year for LOR or just delay altogether until next year and not be rushed at all.

If you decide to do this, be certain to have enough extension cords. Take ye ole measuring tape from where the controller will be to where the lights are. You'll be surprised just how much you'll need.

Best of luck!

I and many others have gone the make your own cords by using SPT wire, plugs and sockets.

+1

And saves a bunch of money AND making your own length cords makes things look organized and tidey without alot of eccess cord laying around. Plus using SPT wire is smaller, lighter and easier to handle.

• Like 1

Only concern is the availability of the vampire plugs and wire. No doubt that is the best way to go. :)

Just make sure you get the right size vampire plugs for whichever wire you choose (SPT1 or SPT2). Far easier to do than what you think.

I say go for it this year. Last year I didn't get the idea to automate my lights until Dec 20th and when I ordered the controller I expected it to be a purchase for the next year. I got surprised when it shipped out in a day or two so I worked all week to program 2 songs while my son programmed a third song. One thing that really helped is I read the software manual cover to cover....you know on that last day of work when nobody is there but us guys who didn't save any vacation...lol. When the controller arrived I had all the extension cords and cat5 cable routed to the spot where I was placing the controller and I started the show 90 minutes after UPS arrived. I did spend a couple hundred on extension cords since I didn't have time to wait to order the make your own cord supplies.

Here's the whole story from last year and links to the songs I programmed in about 5 days. It's pretty easy to program something nice when you only have to worry about 16 channels.

http://forums.lighto...ys/#entry179823

Gil

I ordered my first controller on 12/3, had it on 12/6. I had a show up and running the next day with borrowed sequences. There are plenty out there that look nice with 16 channels. I think it helps a lot to go ahead and do something if you want. It can't hurt. For me it has helped a lot especially when thinking about what I want to do next year. If you wait, you may not be able to figure out what kinds of lights, etc. you would want when the sales start up in a couple weeks.

Only concern is the availability of the vampire plugs and wire. No doubt that is the best way to go. :)

Just make sure you get the right size vampire plugs for whichever wire you choose (SPT1 or SPT2). Far easier to do than what you think.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but is there a difference between the SPT1 & SPT2? I just got my display started a week ago and just bought cords at local big-box places. I had read about making your own cords, but was going to leave that for next season.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but is there a difference between the SPT1 & SPT2? I just got my display started a week ago and just bought cords at local big-box places. I had read about making your own cords, but was going to leave that for next season.

They both have about identical properties. 1 cost less than 2. 1 is a little smaller in dimension from the insulation thickness and makes a difference with the vampire plugs you buy - try to make sure they match. Otherwise, spt2 is tight in an spt1 vplug and you may need to trim insulation or force fit, and spt1 wire is not snugly located in spt2 vplug and the vampire teeth miss the conductor if you don't manually try to line them up and hand press them before sliding the cover on.