Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking to start but need some help

ksmith247

I have been looking at LOR for a couple years now and have finally decided to take the plunge, but i am not for sure what to buy first. Should i start with the package bundle that LOR sells with the controller and program. I am one that thinks if something is worth doing well, it can also be overdone even better. I love everyones displays and want to do that to my house.

My wife luckily understands my obsession for going overboard with everything, so LOR may be a great thing for me, plus i love how christmas lights make everyone feel better, even if for a short time. It was this or home automation, and this won.

Its a good time to start planning for next year. I'm a newbie as this is my first year out and my display is actually running so will no longer be a newbie at the end of this season. I suggest you start with a "Plan" of what you wish to light up, in parts, whole, props or whatever. Once you know what you are going to light up, then you can buy the controllers needed to accomplish it. With all the devices out there, CCR's, CCB's, CCP's, Controllers, DMX, Servodog, E1.31 and others...essentially its whatever you can dream, you can do. Once you know what you are planning, you can start with the sequencer and programming your display while you are waiting for the hardware to arrive. You do not have to have the hardware to start sequencing....hint, use the visualizer program inside of the software package. As for buying hardware, remember there are two sales during the year, spring and summer sales...that's a good time to save a little money on your hardware purchases that come from LOR. Understand that while sequencing your tunes, you'll probably think of other things that you can also light up... While doing all this, lets say you decided to do a megatree....you'll need all the lights, support poles or whatever your design will need, plus steel wire to hold it up, stakes and etc.. Controller stands whether bought or fabricated will need to be thought about. EXTENSION CORDS....you will need a lot of them. Many of us use both pre-made cords as well as spt1/2 wire with vampire plugs/sockets. Lastly, lights....LED's use very little electricity and look nice, plus they last a very long time. But, they are more expensive and care must be taken as to whether they will dim or not. The after christmas sales is the best time to acquire light strings. PLAN, PLAN and PLAN...

Its a good time to start planning for next year. I'm a newbie as this is my first year out and my display is actually running so will no longer be a newbie at the end of this season. I suggest you start with a "Plan" of what you wish to light up, in parts, whole, props or whatever. Once you know what you are going to light up, then you can buy the controllers needed to accomplish it. With all the devices out there, CCR's, CCB's, CCP's, Controllers, DMX, Servodog, E1.31 and others...essentially its whatever you can dream, you can do. Once you know what you are planning, you can start with the sequencer and programming your display while you are waiting for the hardware to arrive. You do not have to have the hardware to start sequencing....hint, use the visualizer program inside of the software package. As for buying hardware, remember there are two sales during the year, spring and summer sales...that's a good time to save a little money on your hardware purchases that come from LOR. Understand that while sequencing your tunes, you'll probably think of other things that you can also light up... While doing all this, lets say you decided to do a megatree....you'll need all the lights, support poles or whatever your design will need, plus steel wire to hold it up, stakes and etc.. Controller stands whether bought or fabricated will need to be thought about. EXTENSION CORDS....you will need a lot of them. Many of us use both pre-made cords as well as spt1/2 wire with vampire plugs/sockets. Lastly, lights....LED's use very little electricity and look nice, plus they last a very long time. But, they are more expensive and care must be taken as to whether they will dim or not. The after christmas sales is the best time to acquire light strings. PLAN, PLAN and PLAN...

yep what he said... I am a "newbie" too but we started in June. That wasn't enough time because once you start your brain doesn't quit. You keep thinking and thinking and it gets bigger and bigger and either you run out of time or money... whichever comes first before you stop :) We have actually already begun to discuss ideas for next year.... Martha Stewarts LED's don't dim. I know the others I got from Home Depot do...many on here talk about other vendors...sealed and non sealed etc. Definately SPT wire... I use SPT 1 an vampire plugs ... 60 of each male and female... over 2500 feet of cord... 48 channels, 18, 135 lights is what we finished at.

i just started with halloween and was very close to it also but still started with the 16channel starter package. Played with it a little for halloween and now for christmas will do two 16 channel AC controllers, one 16 channel DC controller and one CCR.

dont wait for next year. get a starter package and get started learning to use it. it may not be the most amazing display but it takes time to learn it too. Every day counts ;-)

Myself as well...my show is running and I'm thinking about changes for next year. Add a 2nd megatree, snow and maybe I'll try animated characters....lol, the brain goes nuts.

I just got mine in on 11/30/2012 and built a very simple display with 10 mini tree and my regular lights on the house. I found some old Reef Stands at a flower shop and wrapped them with 500 mini lights. You can also buy sequences already programmed for about $30 from wowlights.com. I bought 2 to get the show up and running and to learn from watching them. Good Luck!!

There are of course lots of topics to consider. But one very important one is. How much electricity will you need and where are yout GFCI outlets going to be located........ Summer is a great time to be working on this.

I am thinking about going with LED for most of my lights, because from my reading, you can have more without the high energy demand on the circuit panel. My neighbor brought up an idea about calling the town I live in and see about getting temp. power brought in for the Christmas season next year. Has anyone here ever had this temp power installed for their light shows?

I am thinking about going with LED for most of my lights, because from my reading, you can have more without the high energy demand on the circuit panel. My neighbor brought up an idea about calling the town I live in and see about getting temp. power brought in for the Christmas season next year. Has anyone here ever had this temp power installed for their light shows?

You shouldn't need it. I have 25,000 lights with no issue, and I have only 100amp service to the house. With annimation, you don't have everything on at the same time.

Thanks for all the help with all my questions. I can say, I have had many different projects over the years and been on many forums, but this one seems to have more people willing to help each other than all the others I have been on combined.