Light-O-Rama Forums

Help

Angela1978

This is my first year at LOR. My light show will run but will trip my gfi outlet. What could be causing this? I am using all led's. COuld it be the extention cords?

Edited by Angela1978

If you're using replacable LED bulbs, there is a chance moisture could seep into the socket and cause the GFCI to trip, another issue are the end female and female pass through connectors {the ones on the back of the male plug} could be getting moisture or water in them, they too wiil cause a GFCI to trip.

If replacable LED's, it would be a little difficult to do now, but dielectric grease {non conductive automotive grease} squeezed into the sockets would help prevent this.

On the female pass through and female ends, I use those plastic child proof outlet caps, they look like a plastic male plug and insert into the female receptacles, they are used to cover outlets in the house to keep small children from sticking their fingers or objects into the receptacles. I've been using these for over 3 years now and haven't had a GFCI trip since. I also use the non-conductive grease in all my replacable LED sockets, again, no trips in almost 3 years since I started this method.

I insert the grease just as soon as I buy a new strand of replacable LEDs. It takes a little time, but the money I save on the local retail LEDs has been well worth the little extra time I spent injecting the grease into their sockets.

If sealed strands, try the child proof outlet caps on the female pass through and female ends.

And one last thing, keep the female ends pointing down if at all possible, also keep the plug connections off the ground whenever possible. I actually use those small green light yard stake for keeping my connections off the ground.

Edited by Orville

My guess is moisture as well. My show has been running since this past Saturday night, and I had my first trip tonight. We've also had rain today as well, so I'm pretty sure moisture is my problem. There are only a few areas that I can think to change to keep this from happening. I think I will give that child safety plug cover thingy a try.

Thanks. It was a misty night when we were setting up. That will be the next thing we will do, is to seal all the ends. Again thanks for your help.

Thanks. It was a misty night when we were setting up. That will be the next thing we will do, is to seal all the ends. Again thanks for your help.

I was having constant GFCI nightmares, and it only happened when the night was cool and mositure in the air, making things slightly damp, but allowed water to accumulate along the cords and plugs. So I got to thinking what is there that I could seal my cords with and happend to be in Wal-Mart and saw the child outlet safety caps, bought all they had, went through my entire display during the day after everything had dried out, inserted caps and haven't had a GFCI issue since.

Plus they are easier to remove than electrical tape, which doesn't really keep the moisture out, and is a sticky mess. I had one of these childproof outlet plugs on a connection get completely submerged in a puddle one night, I figured the GFCI was definitely going to trip, never did, next day I pulled the plug from the remaining puddle dried off the connection, pulled the child proof cap off and the inside of the female pass through plug was bone dry! I''d never put up my display without them now.

• Like 1